My adjustable upper control arms - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
guttedmiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 438
Total Cats: -3
Default My adjustable upper control arms

We fabbed these up today. After going to a wider tire/wheel up front it was a little tough to turn with a depowered rack. We tried to dial the caster back but were gaining too much camber. These should do the trick.
guttedmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
guttedmiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 438
Total Cats: -3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttedmiata View Post
We fabbed these up today. After going to a wider tire/wheel up front it was a little tough to turn with a depowered rack. We tried to dial the caster back but were gaining too much camber. These should do the trick.
Not sure what heppened to the pics in the initial post. Let's try this again.
Attached Thumbnails
My adjustable upper control arms-imag0209.jpg   My adjustable upper control arms-imag0210.jpg  
guttedmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

These look amazing. Do they use a stock miata ball joint or something aftermarket?
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,391
Total Cats: 58
Default

Finally a related thread (so i don't have to start a new one and make my ignorance plainly obvious).
When I bought my NB it had -3.2 as max camber in front and the only mod I can see if a slightly moved lower ball joint.
When I had to replace the UCA the max camber was -2.1 on that side. There was a clear difference in the CA length, but I could not see any mod on the old CA.


Is there a difference in CA length between NA and NB (so it is NA UCA I had from the beginning)?
In that case It's an easy swap to an used NA UCA to get my camber back (doh).
(but [email protected] mentions a difference in Ball Joint...)

Going custom (as plain and nice as these look) will solve all problems, this version also look close to stock at a glance (sometimes it's nice to be able to fool the untrained eye).
Nice job!
NiklasFalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
guttedmiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 438
Total Cats: -3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
These look amazing. Do they use a stock miata ball joint or something aftermarket?
rebuildable joints from V8roadster
guttedmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 239
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasFalk View Post
When I bought my NB it had -3.2 as max camber in front and the only mod I can see if a slightly moved lower ball joint.
When I had to replace the UCA the max camber was -2.1 on that side. There was a clear difference in the CA length, but I could not see any mod on the old CA.
Not that I know of but it is easy to tweak the stamped steel. Especially if you mess up while pressing out the bushings. Been there. Done that. Had to buy replacements.

It could also be build tolerances in the control arms.
mcfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasFalk View Post
Finally a related thread (so i don't have to start a new one and make my ignorance plainly obvious).
When I bought my NB it had -3.2 as max camber in front and the only mod I can see if a slightly moved lower ball joint.
When I had to replace the UCA the max camber was -2.1 on that side. There was a clear difference in the CA length, but I could not see any mod on the old CA.


Is there a difference in CA length between NA and NB (so it is NA UCA I had from the beginning)?
In that case It's an easy swap to an used NA UCA to get my camber back (doh).
(but [email protected] mentions a difference in Ball Joint...)

Going custom (as plain and nice as these look) will solve all problems, this version also look close to stock at a glance (sometimes it's nice to be able to fool the untrained eye).
Nice job!
Isn't it a common spec miata thing to have upper control arms that were "accidentally" bent in a "racing incident" in order to have more camber?
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 45
Total Cats: 1
Default

Older thread but I can't understand why someone STILL doesn't make these for sale, it's an autocrosser's dream come true.
blackandblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblown View Post
Older thread but I can't understand why someone STILL doesn't make these for sale, it's an autocrosser's dream come true.
Because they compromise tire clearance and extended lower ball joints now exist which are way cheaper and better for this.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,904
Total Cats: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblown View Post
Older thread but I can't understand why someone STILL doesn't make these for sale, it's an autocrosser's dream come true.


Hmmmmm.....
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 45
Total Cats: 1
Default

They do compromise clearance but I'd debate that a 3 degree change from an extended lower ball joint is a better solution. I have a lowered car which has a range of something like -1 to -2 (for round numbers' sake). While I'd like to have a little bit more negative camber adding another -3 isn't going to work.
blackandblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,904
Total Cats: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblown View Post
They do compromise clearance but I'd debate that a 3 degree change from an extended lower ball joint is a better solution. I have a lowered car which has a range of something like -1 to -2 (for round numbers' sake). While I'd like to have a little bit more negative camber adding another -3 isn't going to work.
I would only look into producing an arm for the sake of caster. Camber is much better dealt with in the lower arm IMO.

In any case, my bushings only add 1.5*
http://sadfab.com/bushingpackages.html
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 45
Total Cats: 1
Default

An additional -1.5 would be just about perfect for me. Are there different extended lower ball joints? The reason I ask is because the ones I have seen all say they add another 3 degrees. Is your ride height standard?

Last edited by blackandblown; 10-26-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Additional question.
blackandblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #14
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,370
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

I run 2.2* of front camber at 4.5" pinch weld heights on my NB street car with extended lower balljoints.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 45
Total Cats: 1
Default

Thank you, that helps. I'll go check my pinch height on the front.... I think it's a bit less, but not much but my memory is not trustworthy.
blackandblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #16
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,904
Total Cats: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblown View Post
An additional -1.5 would be just about perfect for me. Are there different extended lower ball joints? The reason I ask is because the ones I have seen all say they add another 3 degrees. Is your ride height standard?
I run -3* with the offsets and the camber adjuster ends up right about middle. I think im just under 4.5" at the front pinch weld.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #17
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,865
Total Cats: 492
Default

Not sure how people miss that the ELBJs just add ~3 to the range of achievable camber, that doesn't mean you HAVE to run over -3 camber. The geometry difference between standard LBJs and the extended versions means you gain about 3 when you bolt them on but obviously you align the car after installing them. There is plenty of adjustment range to dial camber out. The ELBJs shift the achievable camber to a more useful range, instead of most of the range being useless such as +2 to -2 (I'm guessing on the min. camber, I haven't checked).
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblown View Post
An additional -1.5 would be just about perfect for me. Are there different extended lower ball joints? The reason I ask is because the ones I have seen all say they add another 3 degrees. Is your ride height standard?
I mean if you auto-x adding 3 to your current number is probably excessive, but something that starts with a 4 is going to be faster on course than something that starts with a 3 for camber numbers (excluding courses with serious braking zones).
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mitchygan
Posts: 127
Total Cats: 10
Default

I really like this solution as well, one day I'd like to fab up something similar.

https://www.miataturbo.net/suspensio...le-arms-90385/
OptionXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Someone help me with AE ihiryu MEGAsquirt 33 10-08-2015 05:56 PM
MSPNPPro-MM0105: Coolant Temperature Output slomiata MEGAsquirt 5 10-07-2015 02:11 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.