Race Brakes - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
I ordered the Fm 4 wheel kit, hustler promptly chastised me for not going with the TSE kit. idk, all 4 wheels for the same money sounded good at the time. i figure it will be hugely better than stock so ill not know the difference.
Either kit will give a big boost over stock, but the TSE kit will be cheaper to own over time and provide much better pedal feel. I think that's worth the extra money at the beginning
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Either kit will give a big boost over stock, but the TSE kit will be cheaper to own over time and provide much better pedal feel. I think that's worth the extra money at the beginning
$32 rotors and they last longer than 8 weekends per year. My TSE baller brakes paid for themselves in 2 years. I don't even have spider cracks in them and they have 2+ years with the turbo, 6 days NA.

BTW, what is minimum thickness on these rotors? I don't know when to replace them.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
It sounds like you have air in the master cylinder.
Time to reverse bleed.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 230
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Either kit will give a big boost over stock, but the TSE kit will be cheaper to own over time and provide much better pedal feel. I think that's worth the extra money at the beginning
perhaps life will be easier if i just open an account in hustlers name, pour in my race car money and let him buy for me lol
shanem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 783
Total Cats: 23
Default

I'd be surprised if it is air but will do yet another bleed...

In the meantime can you confirm that the 15/16th MC is a direct bolt in replacement?

Also, out of interest, you guys with track/race cars....do you have an oem feel to the pedal or you end up with a firmer pedal simply by changing to a Willwood BBK setup?

I appreciate the TSE kit improves feel but I am trying to clarify my current situation....
mx5-kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,327
Default

Our pedal feel is better than even the 11" Wilwood kits - the difference between stock and our 11.75s is significant.

The 15/16 Sport master/booster drops right into an NA chassis. You'll need to tweak some of the brake lines a little bit, but that's not difficult to do.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #27
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5-kiwi View Post
I'd be surprised if it is air but will do yet another bleed...

In the meantime can you confirm that the 15/16th MC is a direct bolt in replacement?

Also, out of interest, you guys with track/race cars....do you have an oem feel to the pedal or you end up with a firmer pedal simply by changing to a Willwood BBK setup?

I appreciate the TSE kit improves feel but I am trying to clarify my current situation....
I have GSE BBK, bias valve, sport rears, sport master/booster and if I told you the brake pedal and balance felt as good as a 997 GT3RS, would you believe me? I ask because it felt better. I like a rock hard pedal, same pedal feel every time, every corner of every track,and more control.

Emilio drove the **** out of my car at Hallett,hopped out and said, "the brakes are great".
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Our pedal feel is better than even the 11" Wilwood kits - the difference between stock and our 11.75s is significant.

The 15/16 Sport master/booster drops right into an NA chassis. You'll need to tweak some of the brake lines a little bit, but that's not difficult to do.
Make sure to get the 2001 lines with the master for minimal bending.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 230
Total Cats: 11
Default

now you guys are just taunting me
shanem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
now you guys are just taunting me
LOL @ not listening to me.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
Total Cats: 56
Default

Going to hijack this thread for my own benefit for a second.

I've got oe 99 brakes with carbotech xp8's all around. I quite like the braking performance but getting quite a bit of pad taper in front. Going to throw some xp10's on there to get me through the season and then put a bbk on to mitigate pad costs down the line.

That being said, I want to replace my master before hand. Will I be able to go to the sport master on my car with the oe 1.8 brakes for a while before going to the tse kit? Any potential downsides to running the brakes this way until the xp10's die?

TIA.
EErockMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #32
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EErockMiata View Post
Going to hijack this thread for my own benefit for a second.

I've got oe 99 brakes with carbotech xp8's all around. I quite like the braking performance but getting quite a bit of pad taper in front. Going to throw some xp10's on there to get me through the season and then put a bbk on to mitigate pad costs down the line.

That being said, I want to replace my master before hand. Will I be able to go to the sport master on my car with the oe 1.8 brakes for a while before going to the tse kit? Any potential downsides to running the brakes this way until the xp10's die?

TIA.
The pedal will be pretty touchy but you will adapt. On CT pads I expect the lower myoooooooooooooo to make the difference minimal. Now, on DTC-60 is would be pretty sketchy I think.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
Total Cats: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
The pedal will be pretty touchy but you will adapt. On CT pads I expect the lower myoooooooooooooo to make the difference minimal. Now, on DTC-60 is would be pretty sketchy I think.
Thank you for the response it was very relevant to my interests. I've been a fan of dtc-60's on other past cars but I'm too much of a ***** to try them on my non abs equipped miata and street tires. Maybe one day when my skillz are mo bettah.
EErockMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #34
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EErockMiata View Post
Thank you for the response it was very relevant to my interests. I've been a fan of dtc-60's on other past cars but I'm too much of a ***** to try them on my non abs equipped miata and street tires. Maybe one day when my skillz are mo bettah.
Don't be a woman.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #35
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 230
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Don't be a woman.
I ran a bit on DTC-60 at the track this weekend, i could tell a difference in bite between them and the Hawk Blues I was used too with the 60's having substantially more initial bite. they were quieter when cold than the Blues as well.

My inferior Fm BBK turned up last night, i might install this weekend. Sadly i learned my xidas wont be here until april.
shanem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #36
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 783
Total Cats: 23
Default

Shanem - intrigued to know what you think of the pedal feel on track when at speed when you do install them.
mx5-kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #37
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 41
Default

To the OP you don't mention what pads you are using. I once chased a spongy brake pedal half the day only to later find it was my cheap porterfields causing the problem. I switched to RS29 Pagids and the pedal became rock solid.

If you are not using any of the good known pads I would start there. Swapping to 15/16 sport MC and booster will reduce pedal travel and make the pedal firmer. good upgrade with any of the BBK's.
k24madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #38
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 230
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5-kiwi View Post
Shanem - intrigued to know what you think of the pedal feel on track when at speed when you do install them.
I'll let you know, i hope to install this weekend. it will be a while before i am back at the track though.
shanem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #39
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 783
Total Cats: 23
Default

K24 - thats a good point. Phe previous owner of this race gear IS using a pad brand starting with P but I forget the name for the moment....you might be on to something....

A friend has just done (last night) the sport 15/16 MC and booster to great effect in his LS1 powered 90 NA. I REALLY Like that feel but he said he HAD to use the sport booster as the MC had a little extension out the back and it was incompatible with the NA booster.

Does anyone know if this is a resolvable issue or you HAVE to use the matching booster...

Last edited by mx5-kiwi; 02-20-2013 at 09:20 PM.
mx5-kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #40
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,327
Default

You resolve it by using the Sport booster. The booster swap is easy.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.