Roll Cage Plans - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default Roll Cage Plans

Hi there,

I need plans for a rollcage, anyone have some to share?

Thanks.
Tony~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

AWR, Miata cage, Hard dog, Autopower, or custom. Those are your choices. There may be others, but those are the main ones.

Have a great day,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

bah, i need a 2 points in trunk, 2 points behind seats, 2 points at feet plus the cage on top of that.

And for doors, i need removable door bars.

If someone has plans, i can make it all myself with seemless tubing and Mig
Tony~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,106
Total Cats: 518
Default

That's not a roll cage. Roll cages don't have removable door bars and six attachment points. Thanks for trying though.

This section is for race prep, not a section where you make a street car look like a race car.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,106
Total Cats: 518
Default

So apparently Mr Tony forgot a few details, so here ya go mt.net crew, answer his questions. Cuz he wants his SAAQ legal cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~ View Post
In fact, thats the exact specifications for my Pro-Am Canadian Drifting rules and specs. Since i will still use the car on the streets to go to my job, i need to have removable door bars cuz the SAAQ (Société d'assurances Automobile du Québec) Dont tolerate full cages. Its not to have a street car that looks like a race car, its to race while being completely safe and legal on a real Track.

6 Points,
Removable Door bars,
a full habitacle rollcage.

so it needs to be a custom one cuz everything sold on web is complete without mods.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 129
Total Cats: -1
Default

Find a local chassis shop / fabricator to build one to your specific fit and spec.
GT42R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

lol @ being French and Canadian...holy ****, and a drifter too. In for miserable existence.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central, TX / Bay area, CA
Posts: 1,272
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~ View Post
bah, i need a 2 points in trunk, 2 points behind seats, 2 points at feet plus the cage on top of that.

And for doors, i need removable door bars.

If someone has plans, i can make it all myself with seemless tubing and Mig
So I take it that you have a tube bender and notcher.
Gotpsi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
lol @ being French and Canadian...holy ****, and a drifter too. In for miserable existence.
I am not a drifter, far from... I just took an example of certification in a "common" and "Well known" motorsport in here
Tony~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotpsi? View Post
So I take it that you have a tube bender and notcher.
And a Mig, And A Tig.
Tony~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central, TX / Bay area, CA
Posts: 1,272
Total Cats: 3
Default

What do you mean you need plans, measure and build. Just about every cage is different. I think wittyworks does door bars Im not sure about them being removable though. There are plenty of pics of cages, search door bar thread or look at sav's build thread, I believe there are lots of pics of his cage in there as well as other members that used the same builder, I believe they are called TC designs or cages or racing or something. I think all I have is door bar pics of my car, not removable though.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Gotpsi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Name:  IMG_1798.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  121.2 KB
lol @ loosing 6"+ legroom because the builder didn't put the post on a plate in the rail
Name:  IMG_1271.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  49.8 KB
Name:  IMG_6211.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  88.8 KB
I think that if I put a cage in my car I'd drop it of in Cali with TCDesigns.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central, TX / Bay area, CA
Posts: 1,272
Total Cats: 3
Default

Those are the pics I was looking for, I wish I had the leg room but like where I mounted my cage, its where it is for a reason.
Gotpsi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotpsi? View Post
Those are the pics I was looking for, I wish I had the leg room but like where I mounted my cage, its where it is for a reason.
Don't get me wrong, I would make sexy with your car and all, but if you ever wreck that thing, expect osteopath bills. At the very least you need to wrap that bar with HD foam, I wouldn't drive with a cage like that.

I was talking to my dad about putting a cage in my car because he knows guys who do great work, who are really well respected that build cars you see on TV in NHRA and IDRA, we're talking $500k cars. I showed them pics of TCDesigns features that I'd want and the 3 people I spoke with all told me that either what I wanted was overkill, or it would double the price. The placement of the A-pillar pickup points was one place that every one said was unnecessary.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 989
Total Cats: 23
Default

I don't think you will be able to find a set of plans for a cage for two reasons. First of all, most people who build them will either not take measurements because its a one-off, or they will take measurements that really only they can understand. Every bender is different, and the important measurements are where the bends are, not how long the tubing is because you can trim it after. The second reason is that nobody would share their info with you because it to time and money to find the correct measurements.

If you have all of the tools you say, you should just go for it. First step is the main hoop. Make your mounting plates, then make a main hoop that is as tall as will fit with the hardtop/soft top whatever. This is probably going to be 4 bends, to fit as close to the car as possible. Next is either the rear downtubes or front downtubes. The front ones are usually the hardest piece in the car, because you want them to be all one piece, from the main hoop to the floor, so there is going to be a weird bend at the door, in order to get that piece to fit correctly and close to the a-pillar. Once you have the 6 mounting locations done, the braces and x's are cake. Removable door bars shouldn't be too hard if you can do the rest of that.

Where are you located? If you're around the bay area i could help out, I've done a roll cage for an e30 lemons car and a baja truck roll cage and bed cage.
pics here: http://www.wittyworks.net/BajaTruck.html
wittyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

That was a really nice explanation. Thanks I will make a main Hoop and then i will measure it myself to make the other 4 points. Once its done, all i have to do is exactly the same parts for left and right. I will start from a HardDog RollBar measurements.

Thanks everyone.
Tony~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

OP what is the use of the car going to be? You said you are not a drifter. If that is the case then why would you be building a cage built to drift specs? NASA & SCCA both have clear guidelines on building cages.

Have a great day,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,877
Total Cats: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I think that if I put a cage in my car I'd drop it of in Cali with TCDesigns.
+1. Cage design is not obvious, there's a lot of stuff that has to be done just right or it compromises the strength. Tony @ TC Design is the man.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Is my swirl pot design okay? FrankB Race Prep 10 10-02-2015 10:00 PM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.