What Tires should I run Sunday? RS3 vs Star SPecs (it's gonna be cold) - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 744
Total Cats: 46
Default What Tires should I run Sunday? RS3 vs Star SPecs (it's gonna be cold)

I'm heading to Buttonwillow this sunday for a HDPE... It's forecasted high of 47, with rain forecasted for saturday, so the track might be damp/wet until later in the day.


My options are:
225 Hankook RS3's on 15x8's or 185 Dunlop Star Specs on 14x6? stock wheels.


I'm worried the RS3's won't get warm enough to work well in the cool/damp morning. Also there might be snow going over the grapevine getting to the track. Which ones have better snow traction?
dcamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 903
Total Cats: 59
Default

I did a track day a few weeks ago where the high was 34F on some fairly spent R-S3s on 15x9s, and they held up fine. Take it easy the first few laps, but they will warm up and stick.

(also abuse the hell out of the fact that cold air = more faster)
Dunning Kruger Affect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,109
Total Cats: 127
Default

If I remember right from what Emilio and Bellwilliam posted, the RS3 for hotter days and the Starspec for cooler days/rain. I'd search for it though to be sure.
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamp2 View Post
I'm heading to Buttonwillow this sunday for a HDPE... It's forecasted high of 47, with rain forecasted for saturday, so the track might be damp/wet until later in the day.


My options are:
225 Hankook RS3's on 15x8's or 185 Dunlop Star Specs on 14x6? stock wheels.


I'm worried the RS3's won't get warm enough to work well in the cool/damp morning. Also there might be snow going over the grapevine getting to the track. Which ones have better snow traction?
RS-3s hands down. Most street tires are warmed up in half a lap and overheated after a lap or two. plus larger tires will have more cold traction. I think they will heat up just fine.
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 744
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
If I remember right from what Emilio and Bellwilliam posted, the RS3 for hotter days and the Starspec for cooler days/rain. I'd search for it though to be sure.

This is what I've heard as well- the RS3 does best in the heat and gets a little hard and skatey when cold, while the Dunlops are better in cooler/wet conditions.


If I had 225 wide star specs on 15x8 rims- I'd run them, but I don't.
dcamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 903
Total Cats: 59
Default

HELLO, I DID A TRACK WEEKEND NOVEMBER 23 AND NOVEMBER 24. ON NOVEMBER 24, THE HIGH FOR THE DAY WAS 34F AND THE HANKOOK R-S3S PERFORMED WONDERFULLY. I BEAT MY PERSONAL BEST ON THE SATURDAY, BUT DUE TO TRAFFIC I WAS ONLY ABLE TO GET WITHIN .5 SECONDS OF MY BEST TIME ON SUNDAY.

I AM USING ALL CAPS BECAUSE YOU SEEMED TO HAVE MISSED MY FIRST POST.
Dunning Kruger Affect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 744
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning Kruger Affect View Post
HELLO, I DID A TRACK WEEKEND NOVEMBER 23 AND NOVEMBER 24. ON NOVEMBER 24, THE HIGH FOR THE DAY WAS 34F AND THE HANKOOK R-S3S PERFORMED WONDERFULLY. I BEAT MY PERSONAL BEST ON THE SATURDAY, BUT DUE TO TRAFFIC I WAS ONLY ABLE TO GET WITHIN .5 SECONDS OF MY BEST TIME ON SUNDAY.

I AM USING ALL CAPS BECAUSE YOU SEEMED TO HAVE MISSED MY FIRST POST.

I saw your first post- duly noted... But- did you have any other options?


I'm probably going to run the RS3's because most people are saying they will work fine, they are on my car, and I'm lazy.
dcamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,644
Total Cats: 76
Default

The first few session of my last track day 2 weeks ago:
45
wet
4 year old R888s with 20 sessions on them

It was fine. Just go drive.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 60
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
The first few session of my last track day 2 weeks ago:
45
wet
4 year old R888s with 20 sessions on them

It was fine. Just go drive.
I'll be at sows this Saturday and it's supposed rain/be cold. Going to run rs3 but I'll bring my star specs just in case. I have a similar situation to the op, 225 rs3 or 185 ss
monkeywinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 234
Total Cats: 4
Default

RS3s will be fine at that temperature, warm them up the first 2-3 laps before before going all out. They will grip just as hard as when compared to warmer temperatures once you get some heat in them.
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,863
Total Cats: 485
Default

The RS-3 won't be happy in that temp, but it will still be faster than the skinny star spec option anyways. HOWEVER, if it rains (which I've heard it might at BW this weekend), the star specs will annihilate the RS-3. The RS-3 is terrible in the rain, while the star spec is known for its wet weather awesomeness.

-Ryan
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 744
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePass View Post
The RS-3 won't be happy in that temp, but it will still be faster than the skinny star spec option anyways. HOWEVER, if it rains (which I've heard it might at BW this weekend), the star specs will annihilate the RS-3. The RS-3 is terrible in the rain, while the star spec is known for its wet weather awesomeness.

-Ryan

OK- that all makes sense with what else I've read... hopefully it won't rain Sunday.
dcamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #13
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,109
Total Cats: 127
Default

Or hopefully it does rain and your on the star specs for some win
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
why is my car running like pewp? (tune/datalog) itsMikey MSPNP 3 09-28-2015 07:40 AM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 PM.