Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Former '11 GTI owner, now '99 Turbo Miata owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Newb

Total Cats: 0
Default Former '11 GTI owner, now '99 Turbo Miata owner

Hello all,

I write this message from a kitchen in South Carolina. I am "de-noobing" myself and introducing myself and the new to me car.

I for the past 4.5 years have been the owner of a 2011 VW GTI. It was lightly modified (coilovers, mounts, intake, exhaust, tune, intercooler, divertor valve, interior bits, sceneboy aero, wheels, and im sure more that has been forgotten). The car was not aging very well and I decided that I needed a better platform to tinker with and not worry about paying the euro tax to maintain. I sold the car a few weeks ago and had some newfound money burning a hole in my pocket.

Now comes in the 1999 NB Miata. The previous, previous owner had some small modifications made to the car. There seems to be a hamster wheel attached to the engine. It makes noises and the car goes faster than a Honda. The last owner bought the car about four years ago and only managed to take the car from 98k to 109k miles. The car has sat quite a bit the past year or so. So I will be doing a lot of looking over and preventative maintenance on parts that appear worn, or seem to warrant a safety measure.

As of now I have made a small list of things that need to be done for the car. Please let me know what you think of and what I should be looking for.
1) Find and install stock seat belts (car has 4 point harnesses)
2) Adjust harnesses (theyre not mounted well at all)
3) Oil change
4) windshield chip repaired
5) coolant flush
6) right top latch replaced
7) rewire amp and speakers
8) Repaint hard dog roll bar

This is the immediate and cheaper list of things for the car. In the future I want to get the fueling and ECU upgrade so I can get the full power from the turbo kit(FM II). I would also like a hard top and coilovers.

Last edited by barnes93cb; 05-08-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:08 PM

Total Cats: 87

Originally Posted by barnes93cb
This is the immediate and cheaper list of things for the car. In the future I want to finish the FMII turbo kit and get the fueling and ECU upgrade.
What part of SC?

And what does ^ mean it is running on now?
Old 05-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Newb

Originally Posted by Schuyler
What part of SC?

And what does ^ mean it is running on now?
Im in Sumter just down the road from you in Columbia.

And sorry. I want to upgrade the Voodoo II kit and get the added power of the FMII.

The car runs and drives. The turbo kit is working well. I just need the ECU and fueling bits for the full power.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:24 AM
mkturbo.com

Total Cats: 1,681

There are a number of us turbo guys in SC. Panic Motorsports is in Columbia and they are the best goto for used parts in the area. Skip going with a hydra. Get a MS3 of some sorts, and either get FF640 injectors or ID1000's.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Newb

Originally Posted by shuiend
There are a number of us turbo guys in SC. Panic Motorsports is in Columbia and they are the best goto for used parts in the area. Skip going with a hydra. Get a MS3 of some sorts, and either get FF640 injectors or ID1000's.
Yes ive already looked Panic Motorsports up. I will likely be taking the car there in a few weeks for a look over. Im new to RWD, manual, and miatas. So I want some experts to tell me if there is anything wrong with the car I cant find. And yes I was looking into MS3 and ID1000's. I want to learn tuning and have fueling for anything that I may desire in the future.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Newb

A little update with some photos of the car.