Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: KPower

JDM 99-00 Header

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:16 AM

Total Cats: -1
Default JDM 99-00 Header

So I just picked up a 99-00 engine imported from Japan. Swapping into my 1.6 chassis. Upon doing so I noticed that the exhaust manifold is VERY different from what I've seen on 1.8 before. After doing some research I found that it only comes on JDM cars and I ended up with one.

I find this very cool! But one problem... I have some work done and a customized exhaust down the rest of the car. If you look at the header, it comes to 2 pipes and I don't see how it could be welded to fit one pipe, then go into the rest of my exhaust. Mainly looking for anyone with ideas who have run into this or seen it before.

P.s. is there anything wrong with getting a cheap raceland and ditching the whole thing?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Total Cats: 217

I was in the same boat, you're missing the lower half of the header. I made one for myself that merged into a 2.5" collector to better fit with my custom exhaust.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bronson M
I was in the same boat, you're missing the lower half of the header. I made one for myself that merged into a 2.5" collector to better fit with my custom exhaust.
Where did you get the collector from? I can't weld and don't have a welder. So I'm looking for something that my local exhaust shop can fab up.

Do you know of anyone who sells the lower part of the header? I assume it's a unheard of part to buy
Old 12-04-2017, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor

Total Cats: 2,100

If you can't weld/fabricate and you don't have someone who can (your local exhaust shop cannot), just save yourself the headache and buy a 94-97 RB header and plug the EGR.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Savington
If you can't weld/fabricate and you don't have someone who can (your local exhaust shop cannot), just save yourself the headache and buy a 94-97 RB header and plug the EGR.
Don't have the money for a new nice header. That's why I'm trying to go this route. If I can find a proper collector then my shop can do it (He's done things for me like this before).
Old 12-04-2017, 02:12 PM

Total Cats: 217

That's just a piece of 2.5" pipe with a bend in in squished down and fabricated into a collector. If you can't do it yourself then just move on and follow sav's advice. There's nothing that special about the try-y design of the JDM header that's worth spending any money on. I only made mine because it was free since I had the tube laying around and was going turbo soon.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bronson M
That's just a piece of 2.5" pipe with a bend in in squished down and fabricated into a collector. If you can't do it yourself then just move on and follow sav's advice. There's nothing that special about the try-y design of the JDM header that's worth spending any money on. I only made mine because it was free since I had the tube laying around and was going turbo soon.
Exactly, I only want to run this for about a year until I get a turbo manifold, turbo ect. I will talk to my exhaust guy tomorrow and see what he thinks. Appreciate the pictures too!
Old 12-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Total Cats: 3

Check the for sale threads. There is an 1.8 Racing Beat Header for sale there.

**edit**

Added after I originally posted.

$200
https://www.miataturbo.net/miata-par...-header-94936/
​​​​​​​
Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 AM

Total Cats: 61

It would probably be easier/cheaper to buy an RB header than fabricate or source the 2-1 portion.
You can see more here and here.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 196

if all you want is a temporary solution until going turbo, then why not pickup a stock manifold and downpipe from a junk yard for cheap?
or from a guy parting out a miata/miatas? always plenty of those on craigslist.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by borka
if all you want is a temporary solution until going turbo, then why not pickup a stock manifold and downpipe from a junk yard for cheap?
or from a guy parting out a miata/miatas? always plenty of those on craigslist.
Having trouble finding anyone, or anyone to reply. None on Craigslist here, we don't have a scene for cars at all.