Budget Suspension - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #41
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Still doesn't explain anything.

The best for what? Street? Track? Autocross? Why were the EZs better? Faster lap/autox times? More comfortable? More adjustable?

I'm not giving you **** for your vague answer, OP of this thread doesn't deserve better. But when you say that a shock that is heavily developed by a reputable Miata shop is not as good as one that is a Honda copy adjusted to fit the Miata without anything to back it up, you're probably gonna get downproped. This isn't M.net, we don't compare parts by how they make you feel, we do it with data.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #42
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Still doesn't explain anything.

The best for what? Street? Track? Autocross? Why were the EZs better? Faster lap/autox times? More comfortable? More adjustable?

I'm not giving you **** for your vague answer, OP of this thread doesn't deserve better. But when you say that a shock that is heavily developed by a reputable Miata shop is not as good as one that is a Honda copy adjusted to fit the Miata without anything to back it up, you're probably gonna get downproped. This isn't M.net, we don't compare parts by how they make you feel, we do it with data.

I felt that there level of adjust ability was much easier than the vmax. Im not necessarily saying they are better or worse than the vmax comfort wise or at the track or autox. I just found it much easier to dial in dampening and height adjustment with the megans. The megans have plenty of suspension travel like the v max. Im not bashing FM I enjoy almost all their stuff and respect them. They have good reasoning for why the use vmax but that doesnt mean what works for them is going to necessarily work for me.
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #43
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,164
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

I still don't get it: what do you mean by level of adjustability?
The perches spin easier? LOL I mean seriously that's the only thing you "adjust"
The basic vmaxx doesn't have dampening adjustment, so you can't compare that
And most adjust height once, then never touch it again, so I still don't understand your statement.

It woulda been different if you said they were softer or more comfy (because cheaper dampers tend to have tiny/weak shock inserts hence why racelands actually feel fairly comfortable on the street vs the vmaxx, the dampers basically don't do anything more than stabilize the car after a bump) but you said level of adjustability.

Last edited by 18psi; 10-24-2013 at 05:34 PM.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #44
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 781
Default

The level of adjustability is easier. Duh.

It's not like some other systems where the levels are harder.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #45
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I still don't get it: what do you mean by level of adjustability?
The perches spin easier? LOL I mean seriously that's the only thing you "adjust"
The basic vmaxx doesn't have dampening adjustment, so you can't compare that
And most adjust height once, then never touch it again, so I still don't understand your statement.

It woulda been different if you said they were softer or more comfy (because cheaper dambers tend to have tiny/weak shock inserts hence why racelands actually feel fairly comfortable on the street vs the vmaxx) but you said level of adjustability.
I was comparing the basic vmaxx fm sells thats what I originally had on my car. I have to adjust my ride height depending on if im going to the track or not cause the roads and speed bumps around the university I work at are really bad. The megans can get really stiff and somewhat soft if needed. I like being able to dial them in differently depending on the situation for instance when I go the the track stiffen them up and if I go to the strip I can soften the rear so it sags more when launching. Also after I installed the frame rails I had bad understeer than before, so I stiffened up the rear and it fixed it. Im not looking for Megan converts. Im the one driving on them and love them OP wanted to know budget suspension. Id say they are affordable and not bad. Any other technicalities you all would like to discuss of why I like them? Feel free to ask. I dont mind.
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #46
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,164
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Ok. So you simply meant dampening adjustment vs no dampening adjustment. Fair enough, that's all I was trying to clarify.

For whatever its worth, I have driven on more suspensions than I care to list lol, and I'm very picky about comfort on the street. I am very happy with my FM stage1 (tokicos and FM springs) on setting 2, it is more comfortable than all the others I tried, like you I appreciate the adjustability of the dampening. Its like OE suspension on the crappy roads we have, and when I want to drive spiritedly I just set to 3 or 4 and enjoy

They're only about 100-200 more than the Vmaxx and the Megans, and are a good quality/brand product with an unlimited mile warranty
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #47
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 781
Default

Your frame rails increased understeer? Oh that's bad news.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #48
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP3821 View Post
I was comparing the basic vmaxx fm sells thats what I originally had on my car. I have to adjust my ride height depending on if im going to the track or not cause the roads and speed bumps around the university I work at are really bad. The megans can get really stiff and somewhat soft if needed. I like being able to dial them in differently depending on the situation for instance when I go the the track stiffen them up and if I go to the strip I can soften the rear so it sags more when launching. Also after I installed the frame rails I had bad understeer than before, so I stiffened up the rear and it fixed it. Im not looking for Megan converts. Im the one driving on them and love them OP wanted to know budget suspension. Id say they are affordable and not bad. Any other technicalities you all would like to discuss of why I like them? Feel free to ask. I dont mind.
If you had posted that ^^^ in the first place, you probably wouldn't have been downpropped. Just sayin.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #49
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
The level of adjustability is easier. Duh.

It's not like some other systems where the levels are harder.

Like a KYB where you have to crawl under the car to stiffen it up.
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #50
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,164
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

I'm guessing you don't have the trunk liner in your car, because if you did that would be just as much a hassle as bending down to adjust the **** on the bottom of the shock
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #51
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I'm guessing you don't have the trunk liner in your car, because if you did that would be just as much a hassle as bending down to adjust the **** on the bottom of the shock

I took the little piece of silencing pad out of the passenger side behind the spare tire. Which I dont even have the spare in cause my insurance covers road side maintenance the car stays within a 10 mile radius cause I live next to 3 tracks. Work is 4 miles away too. Anyway the drivers side tray is in but I cut out a section out of the cover so my arm can fit and make adjustments. So All I do is pop the hood and open the trunk set my dampening and drive to the track so when I get there everything is settled in. Its my little system I have.
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #52
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP3821 View Post
Like a KYB where you have to crawl under the car to stiffen it up.
I'm guessing you didn't understand what i did there.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #53
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Your frame rails increased understeer? Oh that's bad news.

Im not the first happens to a lot of people.
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #54
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 781
Default

Is that like blowing your load super early the first time you take pills for ED?
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #55
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Is that like blowing your load super early the first time you take pills for ED?
IDK I tend to stay away from ED Pills cause their lack of dampening.

ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #56
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beckley, WV
Posts: 868
Total Cats: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Still doesn't explain anything.

The best for what? Street? Track? Autocross? Why were the EZs better? Faster lap/autox times? More comfortable? More adjustable?

I'm not giving you **** for your vague answer, OP of this thread doesn't deserve better. But when you say that a shock that is heavily developed by a reputable Miata shop is not as good as one that is a Honda copy adjusted to fit the Miata without anything to back it up, you're probably gonna get downproped. This isn't M.net, we don't compare parts by how they make you feel, we do it with data.
You do realize vmaxx are the raceland of the VW world and are just about slamming and all FM did was ask them to valve them a little different and have custom spring rates.

With that, I had Megan ezstreets on my MSM and now I have fm vmaxx xxtreme (xtreme means dampening adjustable) and the vmaxx extreme are much better and given the choice I would get fm vmaxx over ezstreets, however if I only had $600 I would put ezstreets on my car again. I havet decided if thy are worth the $400 differance or not.

Don't drink the FM koolaid and think they are some awesome elite coilovers.
Tekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #57
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekel View Post
You do realize vmaxx are the raceland of the VW world and are just about slamming and all FM did was ask them to valve them a little different and have custom spring rates.
All that Shaikh at FCM does to Bilsteins is valve them different and custom spring rates. Are the EZ streets valved specifically for Miatas?
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #58
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beckley, WV
Posts: 868
Total Cats: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
All that Shaikh at FCM does to Bilsteins is valve them different and custom spring rates. Are the EZ streets valved specifically for Miatas?
No


But my point was more on quality. Bilsteins are expected to be quality to begin with. Vmaxx not so much. But again, all that being said, I have vmaxx on my current ride over Megan's.
Attached Thumbnails
Budget Suspension-okay.png  
Tekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #59
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Ehhehhm vmax extremes which I never have tried and are more expensive. Just want to make sure that gets clarified. The entry level vmax are still slightly worse than the Megans.
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #60
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,164
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP3821 View Post
Ehhehhm vmax extremes which I never have tried and are more expensive. Just want to make sure that gets clarified. The entry level vmax are still slightly worse than the Megans.
There you go again making silly statements.

How are they worse?
Are the megans properly sprung for a miata? NO
Do the megans come with shock dyno plots? NO
Do they outhandle the vmaxx? NO

You have to understand that there's a BIG DIFFERENCE between buying a product backed by a company that posts legitimate testing and development information, has a proper warranty, and you can call them and talk to them about the product 5 days a week, vs some ching chong knockoff company that has no contact info whatsoever (cause its just re-distribution warehouse for the taiwan/china sweat shops) and even if you emailed them for shock dyno plots they wouldn't even know what you're talking about.

So yeah - FM might be using a knockoff or non-name brand product, but those "minor tweaks" in spring rate and valving make a huge difference for the vmaxx vs raceland or megan.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
Hey everyone another n00b here Big_gumby Meet and Greet 80 10-05-2015 05:06 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 AM.