Complete Suspension Upgrade. What to replace? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: N/A
Posts: 84
Total Cats: -14
Default Complete Suspension Upgrade. What to replace?

So im going to be dropping both the front and rear sub-frames from my 96 miata and while im at it I plan to upgrade with aftermarket sways, coilovers, and polyurethane bushings, along with iron brushing down everything that's ugly and painting it.

My miata is basically my project, track, fun car. And I do drive it daily but it stays away from rain and snow. I also plan to track it next year a few times.

My question is am I missing anything other than stated above? Is there any hardware kits out there that I can replace all the originals bolts and nuts with?

I was considering the Flying Miata Sway Bars, V-Maxx Coilovers (Flush height, not slammed, but so I eliminate any gap), and the complete red polyurethane bushings kit.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Any input is appreciated!
Racemiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 120
Total Cats: 0
Default

If I were going to do that, I'd make sure I got something like ISC's eccentric control arm bushings so that you can get a bit more camber adjustment. If you are replacing them all anyways, you might as well, even if you don't track it a lot right now, it could come in handy down the road.

Are you replacing the control arms and tierods?

EDIT - These are the bushings I was talking about: http://iscracing.net/miatasuspension.html (about halfway down the page)
pmhaddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

949 raplacement bushings, new alignment bolts, dress all the hardware threads, new ball joints, new inner tie rods, 93 LE outter tie rods, rebuild bearings.

I don't like eccentric bushings because you have to replace them frequently.

Edit:
If you ever type "flush height" again, you will be banned. What does that even mean?
"Is there any hardware kits"? No, there are be none.
This is a track car that's going to be "hella flush"?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhaddad View Post
EDIT - These are the bushings I was talking about: Miata Suspension (about halfway down the page)
lol $4000 double-adjustable twin-tubes.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 120
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post

I don't like eccentric bushings because you have to replace them frequently.
I did not realize that. How frequently is frequently? Once a year? Once every 5 years? After every other track event? I wouldn't think they would wear out faster than standard bushings. Is it simply because there is more stress through the assembly when you have the camber maxed out?

pmhaddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhaddad View Post
I did not realize that. How frequently is frequently? Once a year? Once every 5 years? After every other track event? I wouldn't think they would wear out faster than standard bushings. Is it simply because there is more stress through the assembly when you have the camber maxed out?

Some say "every third alignment". The reason they go bad is due to the material and off-set design.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 1,353
Total Cats: 66
Default

V8Roadsters upper ball joints.
RyanRaduechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,071
Total Cats: 253
Default

lol "race" miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemiata View Post
I do drive it daily..........track it next year a few times...............I was considering the Flying Miata Sway Bars, V-Maxx Coilovers (Flush height, not slammed, but so I eliminate any gap)
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 120
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Some say "every third alignment". The reason they go bad is due to the material and off-set design.
Currently rethinking my planned bushing replacement.... good info, thanks!
pmhaddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: N/A
Posts: 84
Total Cats: -14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhaddad View Post
If I were going to do that, I'd make sure I got something like ISC's eccentric control arm bushings so that you can get a bit more camber adjustment. If you are replacing them all anyways, you might as well, even if you don't track it a lot right now, it could come in handy down the road.

Are you replacing the control arms and tierods?

EDIT - These are the bushings I was talking about: Miata Suspension (about halfway down the page)
Basically I want to replace anything and everything that needs to be while the subframes are dropped. I'd rather do everything right the first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
949 raplacement bushings, new alignment bolts, dress all the hardware threads, new ball joints, new inner tie rods, 93 LE outter tie rods, rebuild bearings.

I don't like eccentric bushings because you have to replace them frequently.

Edit:
If you ever type "flush height" again, you will be banned. What does that even mean?
"Is there any hardware kits"? No, there are be none.
This is a track car that's going to be "hella flush"?

Just worded that wrong. It was late at night
Basically what I meant is to get coilovers that are strictly performance and do not slam my car.

Thanks for all the info.
Racemiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemiata View Post
Basically what I meant is to get coilovers that are strictly performance and do not slam my car.

Thanks for all the info.
Make sure to get some Taiwanese garbage.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.