fd tranny in miata? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default fd tranny in miata?

Like the title says I'm asking about a feasible way of putting an fd tranny in a miata. I plan on building a 350+ hp miata in the near future and instead of breaking transmission every day, I would like a better option for a reasonable price. I know one guy did it before but that was back in 08. I have a spare fd 5 speed laying around from my fd days.l. I also have access to a lot of miata 5 speed bellhousings. Can someone help me out?

Thanks.
Drake
dburgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,664
Total Cats: 1,560
Default

I wonder why nobody ever proposed this idea before? It has all of the earmarks of a winner.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

IF ONLY THERE WAS AN ENTIRE MULTI PAGE THREAD ABOUT tranny options for the miata
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default

Please, someone point me in the direction. I searched google, searched the stickies, searched the forum and had no luck. Thanks for being helpful!
dburgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Literally right below your thread https://www.miataturbo.net/suspensio...es-dust-75506/

Enjoy the spoon feed.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,664
Total Cats: 1,560
Default

I was thinking you would point him to the one about making RX7 trannies work with BP engines.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

I figured that one I posted gave better overall information about options. Either way both are easily found with a search.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Posts: 1,038
Total Cats: 157
Default

In his defense I don't think either of those threads are specifically about FD transmissions...Isn't the one about RX7 transmissions discussing FCs? He said he already had a FD 5 speed laying around.
TNTUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default

^^ Thank you. I had already searched through the linked thread and didn't find an answer to my specific question. I did however find other options. I think what I will do is pull the two bellhousings off (the fd tranny and the miata tranny) and see if there is a way to put the miata bellhousing on the fd box. I also believe the fd gearing will be better suited for a higher hp miata. My next quest if that does not work will to try and mend a T56 into a miata, mainly because I have one of those laying around as well.
dburgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 186
Total Cats: 10
Default

Why not just mend an LS in a Miata, then put the T56 with that...

I was reading about 350z transmissions being a possibility also, but can't confirm that.
carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,664
Total Cats: 1,560
Default

There is already a regular production bellhousing to fit a T56 behind a Miata engine.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTUBA View Post
In his defense I don't think either of those threads are specifically about FD transmissions...Isn't the one about RX7 transmissions discussing FCs? He said he already had a FD 5 speed laying around.
In my defense that thread would probably be a great place to ask about an FD tranny fitting a miata. I made no mention about there being an answer, just that it was a thread about tranny options for the miata, which is still an active thread, so there is no need to make a whole new thread for every tranny idea.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post

In my defense that thread would probably be a great place to ask about an FD tranny fitting a miata. I made no mention about there being an answer, just that it was a thread about tranny options for the miata, which is still an active thread, so there is no need to make a whole new thread for every tranny idea.
Understood. My bad
dburgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
There is already a regular production bellhousing to fit a T56 behind a Miata engine.
There is?
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburgoon View Post
Understood. My bad
It's all good. Honestly I'm making a bigger deal of it than it is.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,664
Total Cats: 1,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post

There is?
Available through Summit or Jegs and is made by Hays/Lakewood or somebody. I can't look it up now. It has been discussed here several times. It was linked in Faeflora's build thread.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Available through Summit or Jegs and is made by Hays/Lakewood or somebody. I can't look it up now. It has been discussed here several times. It was linked in Faeflora's build thread.
Thats the one we talk about for the 4 speed. I thought it only did the 4 speeds and the TKO500 but not a normal T5 or T56.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,664
Total Cats: 1,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post

Thats the one we talk about for the 4 speed. I thought it only did the 4 speeds and the TKO500 but not a normal T5 or T56.
There is a very long list of fitments. The beef was that the T56 is supposed to be heavy.

*iirc
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,464
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburgoon View Post
^^ Thank you. I had already searched through the linked thread and didn't find an answer to my specific question. I did however find other options. I think what I will do is pull the two bellhousings off (the fd tranny and the miata tranny) and see if there is a way to put the miata bellhousing on the fd box. I also believe the fd gearing will be better suited for a higher hp miata. My next quest if that does not work will to try and mend a T56 into a miata, mainly because I have one of those laying around as well.
You're wanting to somehow put a Miata bellhousing on an "R" box?

Good luck with all that.


Also: PPF on the wrong side.


And: Delicious pull type clutch.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.