FM AFCO coilover install & review - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: M'boro Tennessee
Posts: 31
Total Cats: 0
Default FM AFCO coilover install & review

Well, I replaced my MSM valved Bilsteins and H & R springs with Flyin Miata AFCOs. I have also used Koni sports with GC coilover sleeves in the past. Because of my lofty HP and track end goals I went with pretty robust spring rates of 700/450. I had also considered FCM and Ohlins.

The shocks themselves are well built and beautifully finished. Not Chinese junk. The install was a snap with one complaint. The prominant points on the adjusting collars rub against my rear half shafts while doing height adjustments. It rubbed the powder coating off the tips and took a little grunt, but not really a huge deal once adjusted. They looked nice once in place. Note: no spherical bearings on top mounts, just rubber. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. All I can tell you is how they feel on the road.

I used the stock MSM sway bars to get a feel for what the shocks were doing before I made any sway bar changes. I am riding on 6UL 15 x 9 with Toyo R1R rubber. I'll update the sways once I get a track day in and see where I can make gains. I suspect a bigger front bar is in order.

Running around 12-1/2" center to lip I have 1-2" of shock travel to rely on before I hit the bump stops (an estimate since it is very hard to get up in there and measure with the car on the ground). I'd like to drop to 12" or 12-1/4" with a lip roll. I had hoped for more travel, but I have not hit the bump stops yet to my knowledge. Or, if I did it was super soft.

Driving impression - good. With both compression and rebound set 10 clicks from full firm they soak up large bumps with ease. I have hit some rough high speed corners with malice and the car never felt out of control. They seemed to keep the rubber nicely planted with no nervous feeling. My favorite mountain twisties found me on throttle with confidence. I was faster. Surprisingly the car feels like it would be a good, but firm, daily driver. I never would have predicted that based on the spring rates. I haven't hit the track yet but twisty rough roads make me hopeful. I would say I had a bit of oversteer and I am sure I need to adjust the shock settings but, so far so good. Worth the money? Don't know yet, but they are pretty good.

Now, can I borrow your Ohlins and FCMs for a test drive? Any Motons out there?
Turbospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbospeed View Post
Not Chinese junk.
I'll have to disagree on that part as my company used to machine a lot of component parts for AFCO's shocks, until they outsourced the components to China. I should know, they were my customer. I used to be in there all of the time. The engineering manager is an old friend of mine.

That said, they still make good stuff.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central-ish VA
Posts: 4,449
Total Cats: 16
Default

Chinese != junk, automatically. If they, AFCO, have QC to make sure what they get back is up to their spec'd requirements then it can be equally as good. If its bad, they reject it and make the manufacturer redo it until its right.
neogenesis2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 104
Default

Among other things, I agree with your assessment r.e. ride comfort. I'm running the stock 450/300 springs, and I actually think the ride is plush. Well damped, but plush. I'm very happy with my AFCOs.
DeerHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,132
Total Cats: 187
Default

Come up to my part of the country, and I'll give you a ride on the FCMs.

It'll cost you too much to 'borrow' them
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

The only experience I have in an AFCO-equipped car was as a passenger in the Targa. Keith could run up onto the curbing and punch it and the car wasn't unsettled like many others. Later that night at dinner there were joking remarks that it was unfair that he had "a wider track to play on".
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: M'boro Tennessee
Posts: 31
Total Cats: 0
Default

Not Chinese Junk. You took that phrase as a single word. It might be made on the moon, but the workmanship, at least on the outside of the shock and the adjusters, seems top notch. So, not Chinese junk. Not American junk. Just not junk.

Yes, I was surprised by the ride quality. In some ways more plush than my Bilsteins, but yet more settled on the rough stuff. The Bilsteins would chatter, these just glide.

I considered FCMs, but they never got back to me after 4 weeks. Then there was the build time. I have watched some of these threads with interest and both Keith and Sheik made some real sense, but the only real criteria that matters to me is how they drive on my car, not what people who are trying to sell me stuff have to say about their products. IN actual practice, I might love em, you might hate em. Different strokes for different folks. I am sure both are well designed and well made. I'd just like to do a back to back swap at a track to see how "I" like them.


How you getting along with that 3071r? I want that big dog but don't have the internals, yet. Might settle for a 2871r. Then when I build my motor I'll cry about having a little turbo.
Turbospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbospeed View Post
How you getting along with that 3071r? I want that big dog but don't have the internals, yet. Might settle for a 2871r. Then when I build my motor I'll cry about having a little turbo.
It's a gem of a turbo. Full spool before 3,700 rpm (see attachment). The stroker has a lot to do with that, of course, but I'm very pleased with my setup.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boost response.pdf (11.4 KB, 198 views)
DeerHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: M'boro Tennessee
Posts: 31
Total Cats: 0
Default

What manifold and wastegate are you using?
Turbospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 104
Default

The new-style FM cast manifold with internal wastegate. 3" downpipe and exhaust (the FM unit with cat). Boost control is with an MBC. It all seems to work well together.
DeerHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotomile View Post
The only experience I have in an AFCO-equipped car was as a passenger in the Targa. Keith could run up onto the curbing and punch it and the car wasn't unsettled like many others. Later that night at dinner there were joking remarks that it was unfair that he had "a wider track to play on".

Yeah... and his bad habit of doing so ended the track day early for everyone else when he tried that with Elvis
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 828
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbospeed View Post
Well, I replaced my MSM valved Bilsteins and H & R springs with Flyin Miata AFCOs. I have also used Koni sports with GC coilover sleeves in the past. Because of my lofty HP and track end goals I went with pretty robust spring rates of 700/450. I had also considered FCM and Ohlins.

The shocks themselves are well built and beautifully finished. Not Chinese junk. The install was a snap with one complaint. The prominant points on the adjusting collars rub against my rear half shafts while doing height adjustments. It rubbed the powder coating off the tips and took a little grunt, but not really a huge deal once adjusted. They looked nice once in place. Note: no spherical bearings on top mounts, just rubber. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. All I can tell you is how they feel on the road.

I used the stock MSM sway bars to get a feel for what the shocks were doing before I made any sway bar changes. I am riding on 6UL 15 x 9 with Toyo R1R rubber. I'll update the sways once I get a track day in and see where I can make gains. I suspect a bigger front bar is in order.

Running around 12-1/2" center to lip I have 1-2" of shock travel to rely on before I hit the bump stops (an estimate since it is very hard to get up in there and measure with the car on the ground). I'd like to drop to 12" or 12-1/4" with a lip roll. I had hoped for more travel, but I have not hit the bump stops yet to my knowledge. Or, if I did it was super soft.

Driving impression - good. With both compression and rebound set 10 clicks from full firm they soak up large bumps with ease. I have hit some rough high speed corners with malice and the car never felt out of control. They seemed to keep the rubber nicely planted with no nervous feeling. My favorite mountain twisties found me on throttle with confidence. I was faster. Surprisingly the car feels like it would be a good, but firm, daily driver. I never would have predicted that based on the spring rates. I haven't hit the track yet but twisty rough roads make me hopeful. I would say I had a bit of oversteer and I am sure I need to adjust the shock settings but, so far so good. Worth the money? Don't know yet, but they are pretty good.

Now, can I borrow your Ohlins and FCMs for a test drive? Any Motons out there?
We're running pretty much the same setup. I've got 750/450 springs and a little less on the rebound. I might click mine up a bit, still playing. My springs took some time to settle, need to re-adjust the ride height.
thymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,172
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
Yeah... and his bad habit of doing so ended the track day early for everyone else when he tried that with Elvis
lol....oh yeah? Didn't go so well?
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

Yeah, Keith is so used to driving the Targa car across that chicane with no problems, he did it in Elvis and put a window in the oil pan lol
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
WTB: Megan EZ street coilovers Rhidell WTB 1 09-26-2015 05:27 PM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.