Optimal ride height? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 951
Total Cats: -252
Default Optimal ride height?

What is the optimal front ride height for different springs. I'm assuming 1/4 to 1/2 inch rake is optimal.

450#
550#
700#

Last edited by wannafbody; 11-12-2010 at 10:59 AM.
wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

You lost me, what?
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 951
Total Cats: -252
Default

Typo-I meant rake
wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

4" front, 4.25" rear

/thread
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 186
Total Cats: 1
Default

4" up front? That's pretty low! Mine is at 4 1/8" F and 4 6/16" (4.375") in the R and looks like this with 10kg/mm front spring rates (560 lbs/in)
(I'm actually thinking of raising the front a little...)

greeenteeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,353
Total Cats: 1,322
Default

As low as possible without bottoming the suspension or screwing up geometry, so basically 4" with rake to taste.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 951
Total Cats: -252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
As low as possible without bottoming the suspension or screwing up geometry, so basically 4" with rake to taste.
Ok, that's probably perfect for heavy spring rates of 750# + but as the rates soften the ride height probably needs to increase to compensate or else you end up riding around on the bumpstops a lot. Now for a track only car minimal travel and engaging the bumpstops sooner might be the fastest way around the track
wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 951
Total Cats: -252
Default

Or whatever height leaves the front tie rod ends flat to the ground at static rest and tune for driving conditions by springrate or bumpstop variations
wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
Or whatever height leaves the front tie rod ends flat to the ground at static rest and tune for driving conditions by springrate or bumpstop variations
Are you tracking the car?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 951
Total Cats: -252
Default

No, I'm just throwing this out there for discussion purposes. My ride height is about 13 inches.
wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 0
Default

Depends what you classify as best? Best in my book would be grip (contact patch loading), and you have to work with what you're given. You'd need to find the best place for the RC and migration, which determines whether the load transfer is elastic (springs/sways/dampers) or geometric (suspension arms, chassis).

Low will make it feel like a go cart, but control is king. IMO.

Phil
PhilMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 186
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMD View Post
You'd need to find the best place for the RC and migration, which determines whether the load transfer is elastic (springs/sways/dampers) or geometric (suspension arms, chassis).

Low will make it feel like a go cart, but control is king. IMO.

Phil
Doesn't the elastic part usually try to minimize geometric issues? (stiffer to reduce mvmt along suspension curve?)

Also, how would you determine these elastic and geometric issues by "feel"? Or is that possible?
greeenteeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
MartinezA92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 1,702
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
Or whatever height leaves the front tie rod ends flat to the ground at static rest and tune for driving conditions by springrate or bumpstop variations
93LE tie rods.
Edit: I think
MartinezA92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeenteeee View Post
Doesn't the elastic part usually try to minimize geometric issues? (stiffer to reduce mvmt along suspension curve?)

Also, how would you determine these elastic and geometric issues by "feel"? Or is that possible?
Springs and sways will provide a resistance to roll, but that's different to weight transfer. Unless you can re-write the laws of physics, it doesn't matter how stiff the springs/sways are, weight transfer is going to happen, you just don't see all the effect of it with big springs.

That's a lot more difficult. I'd say you need a lot of ride and handling training and experience. Datalogging traces will work as well.

Phil
PhilMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

This is 4" at the pinch welds, correct? I'd heard frame rails from some and pinch welds from others, making sure.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 186
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
This is 4" at the pinch welds, correct? I'd heard frame rails from some and pinch welds from others, making sure.
I've always measured from the side jacking points that extend out a little more than the entire side pinch welds. Frame rails are closer to ground, no? Savington's looks higher than mine so maybe he measured from the frame rail?

OP: Are you trying to find a height for specific spring rates or trying to keep the tie rod arms parallel? FWIW at my current height, I like the height and wish I didn't have to raise it, but I will since I need more clearance. I don't even pay attention to the angle of the arms.
greeenteeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #17
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeenteeee View Post
I've always measured from the side jacking points that extend out a little more than the entire side pinch welds. Frame rails are closer to ground, no? Savington's looks higher than mine so maybe he measured from the frame rail?

OP: Are you trying to find a height for specific spring rates or trying to keep the tie rod arms parallel? FWIW at my current height, I like the height and wish I didn't have to raise it, but I will since I need more clearance. I don't even pay attention to the angle of the arms.
Finding ride height for 700/400 springs and RB hollow front sway, MSM rear. I know it's 4", I'm just not sure from where.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 186
Total Cats: 1
Default

Well since it seems your're looking for Sav's height...

FWIW, I copied 949's 4.1F 4.4R PINCH WELD height but will be raising it for clearance-- under a splitter, not under the fenderwell.
greeenteeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #19
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeenteeee View Post
Well since it seems your're looking for Sav's height...

FWIW, I copied 949's 4.1F 4.4R PINCH WELD height but will be raising it for clearance-- under a splitter, not under the fenderwell.
Awesome, thanks.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #20
90R
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 278
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
What is the optimal front ride height for different springs.
the height should be set so you can draw a horizontal line. From the center of the lower control arm bushing and the lower ball joint.
90R is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
open invitation to Mazda /Fozda meet Chicago area 10/3 Hot_Wheels Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 2 09-24-2015 03:43 PM
Twitchy car (tail happy problem) bigben Race Prep 16 09-11-2015 04:41 PM
Obligatory "N00B" post! D_Breezy Meet and Greet 5 09-08-2015 06:37 PM
New here, saying hi, here's what I'm workin with. SuperSneakySecretSquirrel Meet and Greet 5 09-06-2015 09:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.