Ring & Pinion Swap Questions - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 790
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantaylor View Post
unless you plan on doing a ton of rear ends, its cheaper to just have it done, instead of buying the tools and doing it yourself.
What part about 600$ for assembly did you not understand?
reddroptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #22
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 296
Total Cats: 0
Default

As noted, you need a shop manual (should already have) torque wrench (hope you aren't working on cars without this), ordinary hand tools and about $100 of specialized tools consisting of:
1. dial indicator and base (which you need to degree a cam, check/set top dead center accurately, measure deck height, clock/check brake rotors, check crankshaftshaft endplay)
2. 7" micrometer (which you might not even need, Mazda FSM suggests using)

Lots of luck finding a shop that will do a quality rear end setup for $100.
sn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #23
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95 View Post

Lots of luck finding a shop that will do a quality rear end setup for $100.
here in jax you can get a gear swap and a eaton posi for $500 installed, so a $100 in just labor sounds easily doable.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #24
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddroptop View Post
What part about 600$ for assembly did you not understand?
shops will take you for a ride if you let them.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #25
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 296
Total Cats: 0
Default

Bryan,

What's the part number and price for the Miata Eaton posi? How about the part number and price for the Miata gears???? Is that a price for a Ford 8.8 install or a 7" Miata??? Base install prices also do not include:

1. New carrier bearings
2. New pinion bearings
3. New pinion seal
4. New stub shaft seals

The shop will sell those to you at list and charge for installation thereof. Most reputable shops will not a gear install without replacing the bearings and seals because they do not want to see you coming back with complaints of leaks or bearing noise.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantaylor View Post
here in jax you can get a gear swap and a eaton posi for $500 installed, so a $100 in just labor sounds easily doable.
sn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #26
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

i dont know part numbers, but a freind of mine had a chevy 9 inch, got 4:10 gears, eaton posi, and the installed both and re-built the rear-end too, all for $500. was just a standard off-road mostly shop here locally. its not expensive to pay someone to install the gears if you give them everything.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #27
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 296
Total Cats: 0
Default

You don't know part numbers because you are talking out of your ***; STFU if you don't what you are talking about.

1. Eaton does not make a posi that fits a Miata rear end
2. Eaton does not make a posi that fits a 9" Chevy rear end
3. Summit sells the Eaton posi that fits the 8.875" GM rear for $459.95
4. Summit's cheapest ring & pinion set (w/o the installation kit!) sells for $149.95
5. Your Jacksonville shop can't undersell Summit and stay in business by selling $610 worth of parts with a free installation kit (pinion shim, pinion seal, gaskets, etc) for and free install (worth at least $350) for $500.
sn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95 View Post
You don't know part numbers because you are talking out of your ***; STFU if you don't what you are talking about.

1. Eaton does not make a posi that fits a Miata rear end
2. Eaton does not make a posi that fits a 9" Chevy rear end
3. Summit sells the Eaton posi that fits the 8.875" GM rear for $459.95
4. Summit's cheapest ring & pinion set (w/o the installation kit!) sells for $149.95
5. Your Jacksonville shop can't undersell Summit and stay in business by selling $610 worth of parts with a free installation kit (pinion shim, pinion seal, gaskets, etc) for and free install (worth at least $350) for $500.
OUCH, and BRYANTAYLOR is burnt by a
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:13 AM   #29
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95 View Post
You don't know part numbers because you are talking out of your ***; STFU if you don't what you are talking about.
no im not, i know the guy, my dad even towed his car to the shop to have the work done, i have rode in the car and so on. how about you quote me a part number to the cam gears in your neighbors acura TL down the street. i am not 100% sure what size rear end it is. what ever comes in the caprice, i just asked him what size his was when he was asking about mine in me lincoln, and he said 9 inch. i have never looked at chevy prices, but i have for my lincoln, ford racing trac-loc is only 250, then 100-150 for the gears, then 100-150 for the install. that puts it right at the 500 price my boy paid on his chevy.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #30
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 296
Total Cats: 0
Default

Bryan,

You continue to amaze me with with your absolute lack of knowledge about what parts and installation thereof costs (ever hear of a a flat rate manual??) Quick review, this post started out with someone asking about a complete DIY ring & pinion install in a 7" Miata rearend; you have done nothing but interject dumb *** comments that are totally lacking in relevance to a Miata R&P install. You clearly have no concept of what parts cost and most 16 year Stangbangers have forgotten more about Ford 8.8 rearends than you know.

WTF has the price of a Ford Traction Lok (new, used, 28 or 31 spline?) bottom of the barrel clutch LSD got to do what your buddy paid for an Eaton (top of the line clutch LSD)? And what does any of this have to do with what a dealer or rear end shop will charge for a quality install (with all the parts needed to do the job right) of a Miata ring & pinion???

If you want to add something positive to this thread, go out and find a Miata dealer or a reputable Miata repair shop that will give a you a written quote on their letterhead to install a 7" Miata ring and pinion for $100. Then post it to this thread...I can't wait to see it.
sn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95 View Post
Bryan,

You continue to amaze me with with your absolute lack of knowledge about what parts and installation thereof costs (ever hear of a a flat rate manual??) Quick review, this post started out with someone asking about a complete DIY ring & pinion install in a 7" Miata rearend; you have done nothing but interject dumb *** comments that are totally lacking in relevance to a Miata R&P install. You clearly have no concept of what parts cost and most 16 year Stangbangers have forgotten more about Ford 8.8 rearends than you know.

WTF has the price of a Ford Traction Lok (new, used, 28 or 31 spline?) bottom of the barrel clutch LSD got to do what your buddy paid for an Eaton (top of the line clutch LSD)? And what does any of this have to do with what a dealer or rear end shop will charge for a quality install (with all the parts needed to do the job right) of a Miata ring & pinion???

If you want to add something positive to this thread, go out and find a Miata dealer or a reputable Miata repair shop that will give a you a written quote on their letterhead to install a 7" Miata ring and pinion for $100. Then post it to this thread...I can't wait to see it.
There you go talking about something you have no clue about again, i hope you get gang rped by a group of apes with aids.....oh wait i meant to quote Bryan's last post on that one....
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:22 AM   #32
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

sn95,

i was just replying to you quoteing me

yes i have heard of a flat rate manual. given $100 per labor hour, looks easily doable. i can not see a gear swap taking more than that with the rear end out of the car.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 AM   #33
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95 View Post
Bryan,

What's the part number and price for the Miata Eaton posi? How about the part number and price for the Miata gears???? Is that a price for a Ford 8.8 install or a 7" Miata??? Base install prices also do not include:

1. New carrier bearings
2. New pinion bearings
3. New pinion seal
4. New stub shaft seals

The shop will sell those to you at list and charge for installation thereof. Most reputable shops will not a gear install without replacing the bearings and seals because they do not want to see you coming back with complaints of leaks or bearing noise.
Uhh dude BS yet agian anyshop that did this sort of thing would strictly throw in an as is no garuntees clause and then do the ******* work. If not then another shop should be used. Shops that take people for a ride like that **** me off. Just like newbs who post wine and cheeser **** like this **** me off
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #34
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 296
Total Cats: 0
Default

5,900+ plus posts and you still can't spell, has to be a record
sn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #35
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 619
Total Cats: 0
Default

Geez man, let up a little bit.

Anyway, back on topic, I ran into the same problem in my area. I had a 3.636 r/p that I wanted installed in my car. I called about 10 shops locally and only two of them would do the work without taking the entire carrier out of the car. Those that would do the work, gave me an estimate ~$300 to do the benchtop work. And this didn't include replacing all of the seals and other parts needed.

Even though I got a good deal on the r/p, I ended up selling it here in the forum to a local guy in San Diego.

Regarding some of the comments from earlier, I am probably more likely to attempt a turbo rebuild than a differential. Reasoning? If the turbo fails I just go slow. If the rear end fails, I go nowhere and I am stuck with a tow bill and trying to get my car repaired at NEED IT FIXED RIGHT NOW prices. And those are always more expensive.

Also, that article on m.net only talks about replacing the ring gear. It doesn't say anything about replacing a pinion gear, nor how to set the spacing or any of the really particular details of getting this set up correctly. Hopefully some of those links previously posted are more useful.
posidon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #36
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95 View Post
5,900+ plus posts and you still can't spell, has to be a record
Maybe he doesn't care or he wasn't born in United States? Anyways, we should stay on topic and if nobody has anything good say just STFU and stop shitting on this thread!
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #37
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 296
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by posidon42 View Post
Geez man, let up a little bit.

Anyway, back on topic, I ran into the same problem in my area. I had a 3.636 r/p that I wanted installed in my car. I called about 10 shops locally and only two of them would do the work without taking the entire carrier out of the car. Those that would do the work, gave me an estimate ~$300 to do the benchtop work. And this didn't include replacing all of the seals and other parts needed.


Regarding some of the comments from earlier, I am probably more likely to attempt a turbo rebuild than a differential. Reasoning? If the turbo fails I just go slow. If the rear end fails, I go nowhere and I am stuck with a tow bill and trying to get my car repaired at NEED IT FIXED RIGHT NOW prices. And those are always more expensive.

Also, that article on m.net only talks about replacing the ring gear. It doesn't say anything about replacing a pinion gear, nor how to set the spacing or any of the really particular details of getting this set up correctly. Hopefully some of those links previously posted are more useful.

Check out the links I listed, they cover pinion removal, pinion depth measurement, pinion bearing installation etc.

I hear where you are coming from with the turbo rebuild analogy; I've got a T-25 sitting in the basement I'm thinking of re-doing (good tech writeup on this site). However, what happens if my DIY turbo grenades violently? Isn't there is always a chance of ingesting compressor wheel pieces into the engine via the intake tract (or turbine wheel pieces back into the cylinder via the exhaust port) and trashing a cylinder??
sn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #38
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 619
Total Cats: 0
Default

heh. Put a metal mesh filter in the before the intercooler if you are that concerned
posidon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 AM   #39
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
miataspeed1point6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,235
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi View Post
Are you having a shop in Detroit do it? If so, what shop?
The shop is called Ring and pinion. They are on 15 and Groesbeck I think? A guy I work with had them do a swap on his Jeep and he recommended them. I'm going to get a quote soon.

I did all the swapping and work, I'm just having them set the thing. I'm hoping it's cheap. If not I will have one of the guys at work help me out. They will do it for free, but I would feel better knowing someone with more experience did it.
miataspeed1point6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.