Swapping standard 1.8 brakes with sport brakes - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default Swapping standard 1.8 brakes with sport brakes

Looking into swapping brakes between a standard 1.8 car and a sport pkg 1.8 car.

Not finding much info searching so far. Is it as easy as swapping over the rotors, brackets, calipers, pads, and flex lines between cars? The rears seem to be where the problem is.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,796
Total Cats: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Looking into swapping brakes between a standard 1.8 car and a sport pkg 1.8 car.

Not finding much info searching so far. Is it as easy as swapping over the rotors, brackets, calipers, pads, and flex lines between cars? The rears seem to be where the problem is.
Adjust the rears. Made a huge difference on my NB. As for big brakes, meh. Probably not needed unless you track the car or are looking for more corner weight to compliment your heavy-*** wheels. There's the 11" big brake kit that m-tuned just came out with. Supposedly TravisRRRRR is working on a set that may be better-engineered. Probably be out right after he finishes the traction bars he said he'd post pics of in a few days 3 months ago.....
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

There's a lot more going on here that I'm not currently at liberty to explain.

Only looking to confirm that the standard and sport package brakes will swap car to car if the rear flex lines are included.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

the rears are a direct replacement as far as I know. they even use the same pads. just move the calipers further from the hub centerline. example: if you order the goodwin kit, you get brackets if you dont have sport brakes but no brackets if you do have the sports.

not sure on the front.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

the fronts are direct replacement.
thanks for clearing the rears up. I was under the impression the difference was if it came with brackets or not. the lines do need to be changed.

i'm moving forward with this hopefully. there is an additional hotness factor involved that I will share later.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

You doing any HPDE's with that badass car of yours this year?
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

Fronts are a direct swap. Just need rotors, calipers, and brackets. You can even reuse the sport lines or the stock lines.

Oh, and it makes a big difference over the 1.8's.
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 619
Total Cats: 0
Default

FYI, I did this last summer. Swapped my 99 brakes out for a 01 sport set. The only issue I ran into was the need to swap the front brake lines left to right. Mazda apparently decided that the little hook thing (proper term?) attached to the banjo bolt on the caliper was on the bottom on one year and the top on the other. I don't remember which is which, but there was a difference. I switched them because the brake line bound up if I didn't. Took a year and a day to get the system bled after that, but it all worked out great. Yes, it made a big difference on my car.
posidon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

In my experience (1.6 chassis), I needed new, longer front SS lines (TDR will sell you just 2 if requested). I'm running 1.8 standard rears.

I highly recommend the FM bias valve kit. I don't have any real data on braking, but I'm certain the bias valve shortened stopping distance. It was one of the best mods I've done to my car.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
You doing any HPDE's with that badass car of yours this year?
Yes. The first event of the year is Sunday, but they're saying 2-4" of snow, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saml01 View Post
Fronts are a direct swap. Just need rotors, calipers, and brackets. You can even reuse the sport lines or the stock lines.

Oh, and it makes a big difference over the 1.8's.
Thanks. You'll **** when I show you what I'm doing though. Promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by posidon42 View Post
FYI, I did this last summer. Swapped my 99 brakes out for a 01 sport set. The only issue I ran into was the need to swap the front brake lines left to right. Mazda apparently decided that the little hook thing (proper term?) attached to the banjo bolt on the caliper was on the bottom on one year and the top on the other. I don't remember which is which, but there was a difference. I switched them because the brake line bound up if I didn't. Took a year and a day to get the system bled after that, but it all worked out great. Yes, it made a big difference on my car.
Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
In my experience (1.6 chassis), I needed new, longer front SS lines (TDR will sell you just 2 if requested). I'm running 1.8 standard rears.

I highly recommend the FM bias valve kit. I don't have any real data on braking, but I'm certain the bias valve shortened stopping distance. It was one of the best mods I've done to my car.
I'm going to be doing both front and rear. Might also want to do the bigger master too. Hmm.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

You best hurry up, I have a ETD kit ready to install but i'll pass that on if you have something more badass.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

What kit, reroute? I have the bell stuff including the radiator scraper. I mean scooper.

Yes it's going to be bad ***. Pretty soon it'll be MarkP's doppleganger but with 01 headlamps.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Thanks. You'll **** when I show you what I'm doing though. Promise.
Oh snap.

You better not let me down.

Good luck. Cant wait.
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
What kit, reroute? I have the bell stuff including the radiator scraper. I mean scooper.

Yes it's going to be bad ***. Pretty soon it'll be MarkP's doppleganger but with 01 headlamps.
The kit to use the VW Corrado front brake rotors.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 AM.