Are fender flares acceptable? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Wheels and Tires All things related to Miata Wheels and Tires.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,479
Total Cats: 6
Default Are fender flares acceptable?

So I damaged one of my fenders last year because racecar. I straitened it out this year but the paint chipped away. I would like to cut the fender and run flares and eventually get 15x10's. I've seen spacers with built in studs and regular extended studs with a spacer. Which ones are better to use? Is all of this fender flare business just CR style?


Something like these, or stick with ARP studs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICHIBA-V1-12...c3582f&vxp=mtr

Last edited by dgmorr; 04-30-2012 at 12:10 PM.
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
leatherface24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pembroke Pines
Posts: 4,033
Total Cats: 2
Default

Flares are not ghey. They fill a purpose because racecar
leatherface24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,881
Total Cats: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherface24 View Post
Flares are not ghey. They fill a purpose because racecar
Most of this. Not so much because racecar.
vehicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,479
Total Cats: 6
Default

Any idea if the ichiba studs and spacers would be any good? I know people track with spacers or adapters, but I've never really liked the idea.
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Total Cats: -7
Default

Only if you aren't flaring just to run fake wheels.
foxyroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

I just bought ARP studs. And use slip on spacers when needed. It's faster when changing wheels with different offsets because you don't have to take of a bolt on spacer.

Lol @ "fake" wheels. Who gives a ---- what wheels you run?


I would run with a slip on spacer at the track all day long. Bolt on, not so much. I had Ichibas on my Skyline and they seemed to work just fine.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 268
Total Cats: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I just bought ARP studs. And use slip on spacers when needed. It's faster when changing wheels with different offsets because you don't have to take of a bolt on spacer.
Same, spend the ~$120 shipped and have infinite spacer/wheel possibilities.
Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,479
Total Cats: 6
Default

Any sources for cheap spacers? Do they have to be hub and wheel centric?
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 78
Total Cats: 1
Default

I am flaring my car to cut out rust. It is not always about looking hellakewl
adamvanxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 48
Total Cats: 0
Default

Dave, I have a set of 20mm slip on spacers, hubcentric. I'm considering selling them or machining them, as I only have room for about 10-15mm. PM if you want to buy.
SmokeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

are fender flares gay?

are you 12?
y8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springfield IL
Posts: 2,750
Total Cats: 24
Default

Gay. I've regretted it since day one. If they come out with good 245/255 tires, my mind will be changed. The overlays Savington and the other cat with the LS1 swap is another story. Those are sweet.
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,071
Total Cats: 253
Default

overlays > flares

I've read a lot of stories of people regretting it as soon as they made the first cut into their fenders.
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Total Cats: -7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I just bought ARP studs. And use slip on spacers when needed. It's faster when changing wheels with different offsets because you don't have to take of a bolt on spacer.

Lol @ "fake" wheels. Who gives a ---- what wheels you run?


I would run with a slip on spacer at the track all day long. Bolt on, not so much. I had Ichibas on my Skyline and they seemed to work just fine.

Was sarcasm, I thought this thread was a joke.
foxyroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,479
Total Cats: 6
Default

Gay as in good, no lol?

I've read about people that regret it, not sure why. I already regret modding my car, so why not keep going.

I guess the title is a bit inappropriate as I really wanted to know if those no name ebay studs and spacers are worth getting as in my first post.

Jay, i'll message you about the spacers when I figure out what size I want or need.
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,071
Total Cats: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmorr View Post
I've read about people that regret it, not sure why.
Because you can undo a turbo kit or a race seat or a hardtop. You can't undo fender flares.
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #17
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmorr View Post
So I damaged one of my fenders last year because racecar. I straitened it out this year but the paint chipped away.
I would just repaint the fender. The 15x10 requires serious commitment to body work and there are not many good tire choices in sizes that fit the car/tire.

To answer your original question some flairs are ghey while others are cool.
k24madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 268
Total Cats: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperormiata View Post
Because you can undo a turbo kit or a race seat or a hardtop. You can't undo fender flares.
I get it but I don't. If you're (properly) installing flares to run wider tires and your goal is reached, when do you say to yourself "Man, I wish I wasn't able to fit so much rubber under my fenders, damn these stupid flares!"

Like, what changes?
Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

lol @ Canadian threadz.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

Canada is dope. Deal with it.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
Turbo 1995 Miata Low mileage Clean Tekel Cars for sale/trade 29 02-05-2016 05:16 PM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
Noob from Fort Worth, Texas checking in. Miatabro Meet and Greet 7 09-11-2015 01:13 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.