Low Offset Clearance Issues - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Wheels and Tires All things related to Miata Wheels and Tires.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #21
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,353
Total Cats: 1,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terridax View Post
they're already pretty close, so I don't think it'll be TOO much work.
So you're going to tub the inner fenders front and rear, then? Because that's what it takes to put a 24.5" tall tire under a Miata.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #22
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 70
Total Cats: -109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
So you're going to tub the inner fenders front and rear, then? Because that's what it takes to put a 24.5" tall tire under a Miata.
Where are you getting 24.5 from? Wheels are 15s, sidewalls are 50mm (just under 2 inches, so 15+2+2... that's 19 by my count.
And if it takes tubbing the inner fenders, that's what I'll do I guess, but I haven't notice any rubbing other than the firewall (not saying I'm 100% sure it's not happening, but the firewall is the only spot I noticed).
Terridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #23
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
paNX2K&SE-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 675
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terridax View Post
Where are you getting 24.5 from? Wheels are 15s, sidewalls are 50mm (just under 2 inches, so 15+2+2... that's 19 by my count.
paNX2K&SE-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #24
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

not sure if he's serious
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #25
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 70
Total Cats: -109
Default

Dead serious. If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know why... that's why I'm here, obviously I'm doing SOMETHING wrong, or this thread wouldn't exist...
Terridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #26
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Yeah it doesn't work like that dude. Just pull up a tire calculator online or go out and actually measure your wheels with a measuring tape
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #27
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 70
Total Cats: -109
Default

Just did some research on tire sizing... always assumed that since the width of the tire is millimeters, the sidewall would be as well... learned something new

Well, if tubbing it is what it's gonna take, I guess I'm in the market for a new welder. The flux core welder I've got now isn't gonna cut it for structural welds :/


Thanks for all those who have helped thus far (even if you weren't meaning to, and just came in to laugh at the noob, it got me pointed in the direction I need to go, haha). Guess I'm pretty much done with this thread unless anyone that's got experience in making wheels this size fit wants to post what they did to make it work (some pictures would be much much appreciated).
Terridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #28
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terridax View Post
Just did some research on tire sizing... always assumed that since the width of the tire is millimeters, the sidewall would be as well... learned something new

Well, if tubbing it is what it's gonna take, I guess I'm in the market for a new welder. The flux core welder I've got now isn't gonna cut it for structural welds :/


Thanks for all those who have helped thus far (even if you weren't meaning to, and just came in to laugh at the noob, it got me pointed in the direction I need to go, haha). Guess I'm pretty much done with this thread unless anyone that's got experience in making wheels this size fit wants to post what they did to make it work (some pictures would be much much appreciated).
For reals? A Slow Adult armed with a Flux Core welder and not a shred of a Clue, who is literally incapable of *measuring* a tire, is here talking about somehow relocating the ******* shock towers, on his DAILY DRIVER, so that he can run the retarded steamroller looking wrong sized tires he bought by mistake...?

Seriously?

Here's an idea; Leave the welder alone, and put away the Sawzall FaeFae. Just buy some goddamned /45's.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #29
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,353
Total Cats: 1,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terridax View Post
Where are you getting 24.5 from? Wheels are 15s, sidewalls are 50mm (just under 2 inches, so 15+2+2... that's 19 by my count.
Google "tire aspect ratio", or take a tape measure to your car. Stock tires are 22.7". The tallest you can reasonably go is 23.0" (205/50). 225/45s are a smidge shorter (22.9). 225/50s are 24.0", which is too tall. Yours are 24.25", which is way too tall.

Quote:
And if it takes tubbing the inner fenders, that's what I'll do I guess, but I haven't notice any rubbing other than the firewall (not saying I'm 100% sure it's not happening, but the firewall is the only spot I noticed).
You haven't actually pushed the car hard yet, then. As I said before, the 205/50s and 225/45s polish the tops of the inner fenders as is. Putting a taller tire in will just make that small interference into a large interference.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #30
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 70
Total Cats: -109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
For reals? A Slow Adult armed with a Flux Core welder and not a shred of a Clue, who is literally incapable of *measuring* a tire, is here talking about somehow relocating the ******* shock towers, on his DAILY DRIVER, so that he can run the retarded steamroller looking wrong sized tires he bought by mistake...?

Seriously?

Here's an idea; Leave the welder alone, and put away the Sawzall FaeFae. Just buy some goddamned /45's.
You mad bro? Cuz I analyzed your post, and after extensive research and consulting, it appears as if you are, indeed, mad.

If you're going to insult me, at least take a second to calm down, make sure you've read everything correctly, and come up with a response that makes at least a LITTLE sense...

Just to clear up the things you seem unsure about so you can sleep a little better tonight:
I'm fully capable of measuring a tire. I misunderstood how they came up with the number for the sidewall profile, and thus didn't use the correct equation to figure out the real size.

I never said anything about relocating shock towers... dunno where you came up with that.

I didn't buy these tires by mistake. This is the exact size I wanted to put on here... if you don't like them, that's all you. I like them... that's why they're attached to my car right now
That being said, I WILL be buying some thinner tires for the front (mentioned that early in this thread), but for now I'm going to do whatever I can to make these work (also mentioned earlier in this thread).

Now let's have a nice big hug, take a couple shots, and once you've calmed down we can be friends again (bffl? I think so!)
Terridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #31
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 70
Total Cats: -109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Google "tire aspect ratio", or take a tape measure to your car. Stock tires are 22.7". The tallest you can reasonably go is 23.0" (205/50). 225/45s are a smidge shorter (22.9). 225/50s are 24.0", which is too tall. Yours are 24.25", which is way too tall.



You haven't actually pushed the car hard yet, then. As I said before, the 205/50s and 225/45s polish the tops of the inner fenders as is. Putting a taller tire in will just make that small interference into a large interference.
Thanks man, I understand now. Looks like I've definitely got some work ahead of me, but it'll get done regardless of all the haters
Terridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #32
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,353
Total Cats: 1,319
Default

Good luck.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #33
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terridax View Post
You mad bro? Cuz I analyzed your post, and after extensive research and consulting, it appears as if you are, indeed, mad.

If you're going to insult me, at least take a second to calm down, make sure you've read everything correctly, and come up with a response that makes at least a LITTLE sense...

Just to clear up the things you seem unsure about so you can sleep a little better tonight:
I'm fully capable of measuring a tire. I misunderstood how they came up with the number for the sidewall profile, and thus didn't use the correct equation to figure out the real size.

I never said anything about relocating shock towers... dunno where you came up with that.

I didn't buy these tires by mistake. This is the exact size I wanted to put on here... if you don't like them, that's all you. I like them... that's why they're attached to my car right now
That being said, I WILL be buying some thinner tires for the front (mentioned that early in this thread), but for now I'm going to do whatever I can to make these work (also mentioned earlier in this thread).

Now let's have a nice big hug, take a couple shots, and once you've calmed down we can be friends again (bffl? I think so!)
Nah Brah, I ain't mad. Incredulous maybe. But yeah, it was late, so I guess I misunderstood the part where you had no clue about calculating aspect ratio resulting in buying tires with a distinctly agricultural look to them. After re-reading this thread I see the error of my ways and how I clearly underestimated what you and a Buzz Box welder can accomplish. (I didn't catch the "went at it with a sledgehammer" part, which is of course the hallmark of fine craftsmanship, isn't it?)

So, really, sincere apologies my clearly Clue Possessing new BFFL. If you're anywhere near Florida I'd like to volunteer the use of my Plasma Cutter and complete Machine and Fabrication shop for this little clearance cutting you plan to do. I'll provide the beers and take the pics as long as my guys can hang around and watch. I mean, even though we do fabrication and customizing every day, we always enjoy watching someone more knowledgeable than us work; never know what tricks one might pick up.

I'll fire up the Buzz Box for you; we'll Par-Tay.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

I've only seen one other dude run these tires on a Miata, was "Marlon The Great" or whatever his name is on ClubRoadster.

No real details on what he did to make it work, or if he actually ran the car like that on the track. He DOES do track work with it, but i'm unsure how serious, if the car is fast (doubtful), or if he actually drives it hard.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,132
Total Cats: 187
Default

OP - if you're going to put smaller tires on the front, then you're also going to want to put smaller tires on the rear. The only conceivable reason to run different sized F/R tires on the miata is if you only plan to drive in a straight line; otherwise, the "performance" aspect you're so adamantly trying to achieve is pretty much thrown out the window.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #36
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 70
Total Cats: -109
Default

So I spent a while looking at tires this morning, and I'm thinking about going for some 225/45 Hankook Ventus R-S3 when I can afford them (anyone want a set of R888s? xD). That should make the diameter about an inch and a half smaller, and there will be more strech as well... any input?
Terridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #37
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,353
Total Cats: 1,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terridax View Post
So I spent a while looking at tires this morning, and I'm thinking about going for some 225/45 Hankook Ventus R-S3 when I can afford them (anyone want a set of R888s? xD). That should make the diameter about an inch and a half smaller, and there will be more strech as well... any input?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington, way back in post 16 View Post
225/45s fit the car perfectly, OTOH, so I'd suggest using them.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #38
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and engineer's hammer. This is the only way... Oh and longer bump stops.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #39
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

On the bright side though: At least this guy is rocking some seriously meaty tires and not some uber stretched club roadster hard parking fgt look.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #40
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8
Total Cats: -42
Default

Smaller tires.
93snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM
Odd Steering issue interestedofold Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 09-29-2015 02:42 PM
15x8 wideopens w/re11 3k miles Vtpalom1 Miata parts for sale/trade 4 09-29-2015 12:05 AM
WTB 90-97 miata low profile headlight kit DonPlatt WTB 0 09-25-2015 03:57 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.