Wheels and Tires All things related to Miata Wheels and Tires.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street tires for PNW "summers"?

 
Old 10-24-2016, 01:00 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
wackbards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 169
Default street tires for PNW "summers"?

Looking for advice on a set of dedicated summer wheel/tires that can handle cool/wet/dirty conditions.

My current 195/50 all seasons can't even handle N/A power if the road is damp, so I'm ready to buy dedicated summer wheels and tires to support my turbo build. This is a MK turbo build with a target of 200-225WHP.

I live north of Seattle, so even the summers are relatively cold and damp. Average low temperatures should be above 50f from late April until early October, so I plan to use the summer setup during these months. I DD the car when it isn't raining hard, but I commute early in the morning and only drive 16 miles. I'm looking for max grip in a tire that can handle cool wet conditions, but not necessarily a ton of standing water. The fun part of my drive is in the first 5 miles, so I'd prefer something that doesn't take a long time to warm up. I also live on a 700 ft gravel road, so I prefer a tread that can shed gravel quickly.
I've got a fender roller, so I'm open to any 15x8 or 15x9 options.
wackbards is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 01:07 PM
  #2  
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 18,492
Total Cats: 1,635
Default

Hoosier h20's

Jk. Neogens have a good rep, so do Dunlop dz102s. Or s drives.

My opinion: run a real summer tire and just don't push it in the wet.
aidandj is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 01:26 PM
  #3  
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 3,336
Total Cats: 126
Default

Are Conti DW's available in your size?
z31maniac is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 01:38 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
wackbards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 169
Default

Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
Are Conti DW's available in your size?
Don't think so. Run them on my subie though. Good tire.
wackbards is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 01:51 PM
  #5  
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,191
Total Cats: 511
Default

summer tires and rain tires don't always have to be different things.

the key is to get a compound that likes the temperature and a pattern that moves water.
y8s is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 02:29 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
wackbards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 169
Default

Originally Posted by y8s View Post
summer tires and rain tires don't always have to be different things.

the key is to get a compound that likes the temperature and a pattern that moves water.
Exactly! That's what I'm hoping to find.

​​​​
wackbards is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 02:31 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
wackbards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 169
Default

Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Hoosier h20's

Jk. Neogens have a good rep, so do Dunlop dz102s. Or s drives.

My opinion: run a real summer tire and just don't push it in the wet.
S drive's look like a pretty decent compromise. $80 is a selling point too. Any real reason to push for 15x9 on a street car?
wackbards is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 03:05 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATX
Posts: 161
Total Cats: 9
Default

If you want grip more tire helps, but you'll notice more tramlining with a 225 15x9 combo vs something more narrow (depends on the tread pattern as well). I have been happy with S Drives for a daily.
tyhackman15 is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 03:35 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 328
Total Cats: 12
Default

I enjoy my Toyo RA-1's.
Double O 86 is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat
Old 10-25-2016, 09:39 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
wackbards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 169
Default

Dunlop DZ102's & ZII star specs are listed as 2lbs lighter than all the other 205/50 tires on tire rack. DZ102's look comparable to s drives on paper, and they are cheaper & lighter. Anyone have real world experience with any of these three tires?
wackbards is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 10:34 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 524
Total Cats: 77
Default

I had S-Drives, now on ZII*. S-Drives did fine in the rain for me, and people seem to like them more than the DZ102s. The ZII* has WAY more grip though. On a whole different planet. Definitely louder, harsher, and will wear faster, but for me totally worth it.

Based on my relative positioning between last year's auto-x season finale (dry, S-Drives), and this year's opener (wet, ZII*) I'm estimating that the tire change was worth at least 2 seconds on a 40 second course.

S-Drives had plenty of life left in them when I took them off.
dleavitt is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 11:51 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 203
Total Cats: 30
Default

Not a big fan of my ZII Star Specs in the rain. Any sort of standing water and it's hydroplane city.
zellers88 is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 02:17 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
wackbards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 169
Default

I'm not really that concerned about hydroplaning. I hardly ever encounter standing water. It's more about cornering traction on wet roads.
wackbards is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 02:18 PM
  #14  
Goin Innnnn!!!
iTrader: (7)
 
Chooofoojoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Denver, Co.
Posts: 458
Total Cats: 40
Default

Originally Posted by wackbards View Post
Dunlop DZ102's & ZII star specs are listed as 2lbs lighter than all the other 205/50 tires on tire rack. DZ102's look comparable to s drives on paper, and they are cheaper & lighter. Anyone have real world experience with any of these three tires?
I have DZ102s on 15x8 wheels in Colorado. They work well when warm, and are predictable when wet, work down to ~20*f. They move water pretty well. Feedback is vague though. I keep buying them as disposeable street tires because Tire rack has them for like $65/ea every now and then.

Traction is laughable with my 300ish whp and allofthe EFR torque, but that's what the 245 VR1s are for.
Chooofoojoo is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 09:20 AM
  #15  
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 3,336
Total Cats: 126
Default

Originally Posted by zellers88 View Post
Not a big fan of my ZII Star Specs in the rain. Any sort of standing water and it's hydroplane city.
Don't drive 95mph in a pouring rain?

I have Star Specs, in 255/35/18 on my BRZ and they are almost down to the wear bars and I've hydroplaned exactly 1 time. Doing 55mph on a divided 4 lane and ran across maybe a 5" deep puddle.

Other than that, don't drive like an *** in the rain. I've done track days on R888s and toasted R1Rs in the rain as well. You have to adjust to the conditions.
z31maniac is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 203
Total Cats: 30
Default

Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
Don't drive 95mph in a pouring rain?

I have Star Specs, in 255/35/18 on my BRZ and they are almost down to the wear bars and I've hydroplaned exactly 1 time. Doing 55mph on a divided 4 lane and ran across maybe a 5" deep puddle.

Other than that, don't drive like an *** in the rain. I've done track days on R888s and toasted R1Rs in the rain as well. You have to adjust to the conditions.
This was driving 55 and under on a 55mph road, not even on an interstate. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Continental DW tires on my old car. Those were amazing in the rain, no comparison.
zellers88 is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 10:09 AM
  #17  
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Salem, Ore.
Posts: 37
Total Cats: 4
Default

DWs are the business in the wet.

The DW is being replaced by the ExtremeContact Sport in Feb. 2017, apparently, and I think is going to be offered in a 205/50/15.
e1_griego is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 AM
  #18  
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 3,336
Total Cats: 126
Default

Originally Posted by zellers88 View Post
This was driving 55 and under on a 55mph road, not even on an interstate. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Continental DW tires on my old car. Those were amazing in the rain, no comparison.
Yeah, two totally different tires meant for different things. I had DWs on my NC, and they are fantastic street tires.

That would be like complainng that the DZ101 doesn't have the on track grip of an SM7.

*facepalm*
z31maniac is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 203
Total Cats: 30
Default

Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
Yeah, two totally different tires meant for different things. I had DWs on my NC, and they are fantastic street tires.

That would be like complainng that the DZ101 doesn't have the on track grip of an SM7.

*facepalm*
And the whole purpose of this thread is for street tires.
zellers88 is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 01:46 PM
  #20  
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
MartinezA92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 1,757
Total Cats: 38
Default

I have ZII star specs on 15x8s and I like them. They do get loud though. Never had any hydroplaning issues with them.
MartinezA92 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.