As many of you already know the Flyin Miata kit has two options for the oil return line from the turbo. They have a rubber line and the stainless line. Either oil return line requires drilling/tapping/installing a brass hose barb fitting/ and a little JB weld to attach the return line to the oil pan. They intend for this kit to be installed with the engine in the car.
I am sure this method works great. Flyin Miata has a great reputation and if there were an issue with this method I am sure this forum would call them out and they would devise a new method. I however decided to go a different route... you could say my engineer OCD kicked in...
Removing the oil pan is quiet a chore. Since I had the 1.8L engine on the engine stand I figured it would be fairly simple pulling the pan. If you have pulled the oil pan you know even on the stand its a PITA. I removed all the bolts and carefully pried at the pan until it popped free from the block. But it seemed like something was still holding it...
After 15 mins of cursing and searching for a hidden bolt I did a few google searches... I realized the green looking metal tab on the top of the oil pan flange was the windage tray...
I used a utility knife to score and cut the silicone between the windage tray and the oil pan. Carefully prying the pan away from the windage tray as it was easy to bend the tray flange.
After a little over an hour I had the pan off... I then carefully cleaned it up. Using a combination of de-greasers and mineral spirits I cleaned up the all the oil residue.
Flyin Miata recommends you drill the pan near the front (under the A/C compressor) to lessen the chance of hitting the oil pick up tube on the inside of the pan. With the pan off this isn't an issue and allows the drain line to have a more direct path from the turbo. I carefully selected the spot to drill based on research on this forum.
(NOTE: I drilled the pan off the motor!! If you drill it on the motor as shown here you will hit the oil pick up! Which is bad!!)
I then called in a favor... to a friend with a TIG welder.
I had him weld a -10AN fitting to the pan. He is a fantastic welder and it turned out really nice. In the next post I will cover how I made the line to attach to the turbo.
I reattached the pan using Permatex Ultra Grey carefully outlining all the bolts as the factory manual specifies.
Re-installed the windage tray and new rubber seals at the front and rear of the crank and torqued all the bolts in the specified sequence. I used a red paint marker on the final pass to be sure I didn't miss any.