I will be going to the casino this weekend. Luck is on my side. At mile marker 20, I noticed I was getting a little drip of oil under the motor after being parked for awhile. I went in to investigate and the only source was the oil drain plug. I go to tighten it and.... IT WAS FINGER LOOSE!
I can just imagine this coming all the way out, dumping my oil, frying the engine, and resulting in me selling the Miata out of frustration and resorting to driving a Fiesta. Crisis averted. PHEW!
I am now proud to announce, that after almost 3 years, I am officially oil leak free!
Yesterday I got to use my Millermatic 180 for the second time. The first time it was a couple tacks on a TV wall mount. Ok, holding up $1K worth of TV is alright. This time it was my first experience in exhaust work. Universal Magnaflow cat. It was pretty easy once I got to the actual welding part. It's an SS cat so I had to get some 308L wire. I think I had so much slag because I didn't bother to wire brush the mild steel pipe ends.
Today I passed emissions. My inspection sticker expired in 2009, and I was getting nervous driving around tuning the car. Last time, I was able to plug in to megasquirt while on the dyno so I could tweak my AFRs to 14.7. This time I had a different laptop that I hadn't used Tunerstudio on before. Turns out Windows 7 lacks native support for the Belkin serial to USB adapter. Sadly, I wasn't able to take a log of the dyno runs because of this. I'm running the untouched base spark map.
I passed the 15mph test without a hitch. AFRs hovered around 14.3 on the gauge.
HC was 82ppm, limit at 141ppm
CO was .24%, limit at .79%
NOx was 469ppm, limit at 1088ppm
Dilution was 15.2%, limit at >6%
The 25mph test was a different story. It failed the first time, running ~15.3 AFRs in 3rd gear. The guy suggested we try it in 4th gear (6 speed 3.909 diff). AFRs were ~14.4 at this load point. I likely failed the first chance due to the CO emissions.
HC was 121ppm, limit at 136ppm
CO was .76%, limit at .76% CLOSE!
NOx was 658ppm, limit at 984ppm
Dilution was 15.3, limit at >6
It's got 70 miles on this motor now and I've yet to go over 5k rpms. It reminds me of my greddy kit when I first installed it, minus the boost lag.
Stan, that sounds like a good option!
Damon, I should be able to fund whats left of the turbo parts with the money from selling my old greddy kit. Fingers are crossed.