Gosh, I hate writing a good paragraph about the project and getting told I have to do it again because my ''token'' expired.
I hope you guys are having a good turbo week! spring is around the corner if not already there for most of you not sharing the same location as me.
It's been a pretty stressful two weeks guys... Gotta say, things have been better for DD turbo than it has recently. I just try to stay enthousiastic about it, because it's cars ffs, and I love working on 'em.
Like the wise Kendrick Lamar said : Bitch don't kill my vibe.
So I'll start at the beginning like most stories do :
my dad bought me a workbench ! Quite happy, it's very nice of him to have built me this. He never is interested in stuff I do but he got out of his way to make me this so, I appreciate it.
It's looking good I think. I'll have to get a metal sheet or something of the sort to bolt on top because I've worked on it this weekend and, it absorbs oily substances a lot and makes it hard to maintain.
Here it is in it's natural habitat (aka my work space at the garage and where I'll be spending most of my time now).
It already got put to the test with me working on the steering rack and doing the ''proper'' depowering of it.
That was at the beginning. I had removed the piece of metal with the pinion on it (which I couldn't take out of - if anyone knows how, please share)
After, I noticed without a vice, removing both tie rod ends were going to be a realllllll b-word. My brother-in-law who was here to visit me this weekend instinctively bolted the rack to my subframe and used it as leverage. Two heads are better than one.
After that, I removed the shaft from the rack, ground off the metal seal on it and left it there. I'll take pictures later on this week to show you the progress, it's quite interesting.
Speaking of my brother-in-law ( mastertech at ford), I gotta take a moment to say I really appreciate the time he's given me throughout this journey that is the project. He's my mentor when it comes to mechanics and I've never seen anybody so passionate about their occupation before in my life.
A real inspiration this guy... and that is his build : (quick interlude)
Yep, that is an RX8 with a G8 engine in it. I know it's not turbo but I think you Miata guys are car guys before all, and you can appreciate it. The amount of fabrication work in this build is impressive. I'll try to grab more pictures when I can.
Pablo finished up his engine, he decided to keep his power steering and everything. timing job is done, everything is back together and looking GOOD
He finished painting all his suspension pieces. He doesn't want to change his bushings. He'll invest in something that looks like this :
Lately, I've been wire brushing and cleaning the underside of my car to get it ready for the undercoating. I got 75% of it done this weekend
All that is missing is the tranny tunnel and frame rails area to be finished.
Damn ! I forgot.
I removed the rear crossmember and everything with it before that ! haha
so. much. rust.
Also, all of my 4 end links' ball joints are shot to ****. I emailed Emilio at 949 to find out when the supermiata's endlinks are gonna be in stock. He told me 1-2 weeks. I'll be ordering that soon with 2 new tie rod ball joints.
Then I began the rust removal (somewhat) process.
Spent a few hours grinding without a mask on. A lot of dust particules in my lungs = me sneezing and blowing my nose until it's dry = scabs and pain in my nose and sinuses from the past 2 weeks.
Wear a mask, or just put a shirt on your face... just do something.
I removed as much as I can without going crazy about it and primed it :
then I hit it with a few coats of gloss black and called it a day.
I managed to get a few bushings out of my suspension arms using a 3 teeth puller. These were the easiest to pop out - I brought 'em to school and sandblasted them before :
Paint was out, so might as well spray em.
Obligatory friend in engine bay first timer picture :
I took the opportunity of have an experienced guy (brother in law) at the shop to go over a few things. Especially my engine which I wasn't too sure about.
He helped me remove my shafts (don't know the word in english) from the diff so I can carry it around and remove my bushings.
He also double checked my timing job, aside from a slightly loose belt, he said it was perfect ! So there you go, doubters. hahaha I'm kidding.
Also, we found out on my 99 block, there is a CKP and there isn't one on my 94-97.
The good thing is, on the block, there is a hole drilled but not tapped right where the bolt is supposed to be (and is on the NB block). Only thing to do is grind a little plateau off towards the timing gear so the ckp bracket will fit, tap the hole with the adequate size tap and install the NB pulley and the trick is done!
To do it I bought this on sale at my trustee favorite store canadian tire for 25$
I hope it's got the right size haha
I forgot to take pictures of all this but I'll make sure I get some next time I go, no school this week wednesday, thursday and friday so I'll definately hit up the shop later.
Other than that, we checked out the coolant and oil ports available on the block for the turbo, there are a coolant and oil port on the exhaust side and one coolant on the back.
I'll use the one in the back as a main and the one on the side as a return coolant line. The one on the side's gonna be my main and I'll drill my pan for my oil return and I'll have good, cool and proper fluid circulating through my turbo
. It's crazy how they made these blocks as if they knew we would be putting turbos on them.
Have ANOTHER great and warmer turbo week fellas !
Ill be back with more pictures, apologies for the lack of them today