Hello, and welcome to my build thread. First a little history on the car. 00 SE, I am the third owner. The original owner (a doctor I was told) had the FMII kit installed and was driven about 30k miles before I picked it up in Mobile AL. in March 2011. I drove the car for about a year picking up parts along the way for the built motor. Then disaster happened. After breakfast with a friend of mine, I said ďHave you driven my car? I think I have It dialed in pretty well.Ē He starts getting on it and itís over boost cut. I say no problem lets get out the laptop and see what the deal is. We started data logging and found it was hitting 17psi. All the settings looked fine, WTF? The third time we accelerated it still did it and I bent all four rods. Up until he drove it I had it dialed in to hit 10psi and stay there. Spark cut at 12psi. Obviously I missed something in the tune. Possibly I didnít compensate enough for a more aggressive WOT.
So, with that being said, I came up with a list of everything thatís been done to the car to this point. I have pics of most everything but they wonít follow much of a time line.
1.8 NB block
Polished main & rod journals
Main bearing support bracket with Tig welded supports
Machined oil pan with welded plate for turbo oil return
Boundry Engineering oil pump
Custom windage tray
JE 9:1 pistons with valve edges smooth and polished
Eagle H beam rods
The engine block vent mod
Entire rotating assembly (balancer to flywheel) balanced to less than one gram
Flyin Miata 8lb flywheel
00 intake been gutted, polished, port matched.
Custom manually operated VICS
OBX intake gasket
BP4W head port & polished, blended bowels, enshrouded valves
Supertech valve train, +1 intake & exhaust valves, dual springs
All lifters & shims polished
Polished combustion chamber
Singh Groove combustion chamber mod
Fidanza adjustable cam gear on exhaust cam
2560R turbo, ported & polished, hot side ceramic coated, enlarged waste-gate
FMII cast exhaust manifold, ported & polished, ceramic coated, wrapped down pipe
Begi coolant reroute with heater valve addition
Stock/poly engine mounts (73 durometer)
3.63 limited slip Ė six speed
Taylor 10mm custom wire set
650 Siemens injectors
MSII+ by Revrant
Digital EGT by Auber Instruments
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
FM sways & AGX shocks
Valve cover mods
Honda valve/PVC mod
Corrado rotors, Hawks, Prop valve
4Ē ram air induction
I realize I went a little OCD on some stuff. I just wanted to take each individual component and try to maximize itís contribution to the whole.
With the bottom and top end being squared away I can upgrade the intake, exhaust, turbo, etc as budget allows and the down time kept to a minimum.
A few parts came in.
Some assembly pics.
I thought a lot about what to do for ring gaps. I choose .030 (top) and .034 (second). This may seem a little wide, but only by .007. Compression test after 5k miles will see how well my guess was.
I had to trim the main bearing studs down so the MBSP (Main Bearing Support Plate) will fit correctly.
The MBSP came off a Protege. I pulled an extra couple of bearing caps with the intention of replacing the center one on my block which had no mounting studs and welding in another support rib so that all the bearings were braced. But since the block had already came back from the machine shop I decided to just beef it up with tig welds all over. Way better than the spot welds from the factory.
If you use the stock pan you have to machine .087 off the face of the pan so the transmission bolts will line up correctly again.