Hoping to make some decent progress this week since I'm off work. I pulled the motor yesterday but still have to assemble my other block and swap out some damaged valves on my head. Took a picture of my pile of parts that's taken over the extra bedroom and a 4x speed video of pulling the motor if you want to waste 52 seconds of your life.
I really lost motivation for a while and didn't make any progress, but found some inspiration last weekend and got a lot done. I finished assembling the head and block, painted the block and oilpan, put the oil and water pump on, put the head on, and got it timed. I've been trying to work on it a little everyday and, of course, keep finding new stuff I have to do and things I need to buy. I'm hoping to have the motor in this weekend. The last part I need (fuel rail) is supposed to be here Tuesday so I'd love to have it driveable on Wednesday, but that's probably optimistic.
I got everything put together and can't get the stupid thing to crank. Definitely getting fuel and spark and I'm pretty sure I've got the timing right. Probably something stupid but it's driving me nuts.
Also have to figure out what I'm going to do with the exhaust. My Artech downpipe was set up for a separated gasses internal wastegate. The new turbo has an external wastegate on the turbine housing. With the current downpipe there's no room for the wastegate dump, which I was planning to run for a while just to get it back on the road. I'm hoping I can just cap off what was the internal wastegate and tie the external wastegate back into the exhaust, but I guess there's no point in worry about it until the car runs. For now, she'll stay hoodless with the wastegate out the top.