I have been here for about 1 year now, reading the stuff I need to know before getting my Miata turbo-ed. Now it is time. Here is the story of my car.
I have bought this Miata in 2010. It is made in 1989. One of the first editions. It has PS, AC, CC. Got it with a broken engine (No oil,big-end bearing died).
All and all it was in a sad, realy sad state. But.. No rust anywhere, leather seats, hardtop for only $1500.
The paint pas pale, took me a ages to polish it back to shiny red.
The soft top was worn and torn, renewed it with a pleasant to touch mahair one. I keep petting it.. The job itself was good fun and easy.
I replaced all bushings with the ES master kit. The rear shocks were almost empty, launching me on rebound. I mean realy launching me aut of the car if not secured by seatbelts. Scary as hell. I replaced those worn shocks with Koni sports and FCM mounts. I renewed the rear brake pads as they were metal to metal. The front was fine but I renewed the dust seals and placed new brakelines from one of the sponsors. Renewed the brakefluid on the fly.
All and all I brought it back to original specs, little modified though.
A little TLC and now it is getting a pretty NA to look at.
As for the engine:
I bought a second engine, used the best parts out both engines and did some resurfacing and had the cylinder bore resurfaced. Got new exhaust valves as they were sharp as a razor and allmost gone.
Got the engine back together with some modifications:
Lighter 1.8 flywheel (F1 11.7lbs) and Exedy stage 1 clutch. I love it.
Free programmable engine management system.
1.8 injectors (NBFL) 273cc/min
All heating hoses unplugged from the manifold.
Air flow sensor blocked in open position (it does make a difference).
As I wanted to use it this summer I just putted it back together in stock form.
Getting a car in nice shape in stock form is an art to, you know !
We had lot's of fun and took the car out on a trip to France. It is even cheap to run. It did 2000 miles without any problem. Well... Sagging suspension...
Now summer get's to its end and the weather isn't great at all it is not much fun to drive the car in the rain anyway. So....
Time to do new things on the car:
1.8 diff (bought) + half- and drivshafts (these are from a NBFL, do I need the uprights too ?)
1.8 subframe + brace, sent it out for powdercoating in bright red. OMG... LOL.
OBX LSD + bolt and spacer kit, just got in.
Koni coilover sleeves + Eibach springs (375front 7", 250 rear 8") (waiting to arrive from Summit)
I have a I'l TacoTaco manifold ready, bought from a MT member.
I also have a TD04H-13C from a Volvo 740/940. I had it resurfaced so it would fit the T3 mounting without leaking (this turbo has some awkward hole it the middle of the manifold mount).
This is how the engine looks in stock form:
Just ordered some silicone hoses, took the manifold off and the turbo on.
Let's put it all together.
There is no banjo bolt available for the Mazda oil pickup-point.
So I had to fab one myself (needed more debur..)
Oil line installed. That was not that hard... (Why is this pic upside down ???)
This is not the oil-line I am planning to use for a long time. It is in fact petrol hose. It should hold the pressure and it is good for motor oil. But I am afraid it will age quick. It is just that the hydraulics shop did not have the nice PTFE steel braided hoses. So for the time being it is this hose.
Damn ! I just dropped the turbo of the work shelf. It landed right on its compressor. Now it is stuck. Lucky me, a friend of mine has another one for $50. These turbo's are dead cheap. I ripped this one apart and tried to get it working again with the internals of a 13T but it is all different and not working out.
In the mean time I am pulling the manifold for the relieve cuts and I can show you the resurfaced Volvo turbine housing:
And.. While we are there:
Ok, IC piping and Silicone stuff came in.
Do you think what I am thinking ?
The thermostat is in blocking the way of the intake charge pipes.
Coolant reroute was NOT on my planning board.... But it is tempting now.
Yes... I am going to do it. Thermostat housing is out.
I also got the rear housing out. Including the stud. It took me less then 2 minutes to get that stud out. Used the 2 nuts method. Going to fab some parts later to make the reroute complete.
Better: more room. Need to get it a little more symmetrical. But good for now.
So got on fabbing:
Blocking plate for the thermostat. I made the sensor for the dash in it.
Blocking plate in position:
And the coolant reroute spacer. Very nice !
That really awkward long coolant hose is on its way. Also the Kia water neck is ordered and is in right now. I guess I am off the turbo-fab into the coolant reroute fab. Anyway, I also chopped the flange off the manifold (that was cracked anyway...). So all I need to do now is to fab a down pipe that connects to the front pipe of the exhaust.
Oil return line
Waterlines for the turbo
Finish the coolant reroute
Not to bad at all !