I bought this car from GolfTDIBrad last summer after a 5 day misadventure with a nice responsible Civic reminded me how much I like cars that aren't Civics. I drove to Jackson, MS (halfway to Red Stick, LA) to meet Brad (who turned out to be a really nice guy) and drove it home to Huntsville. It looked like this:
1994 Mazda Miata - $6000.00
New radiator, timing belt, waterpump, hoses in last 10k miles.
Hard dog rollbar
Koni Yellow shocks
Ground Control Coilovers (550/350 Lb/inch rates)
Car has been corner balanced.
Flyin' Miata front sway bar
Energy suspension polyurethane kit on all the suspension. I Drilled and tapped all the a-arms for grease fittings, just in case it ever starts to squeak, but so far its been silent.
BRP MP62 supercharger. Blower rebuilt less than 5k miles ago, makes 7 PSI boost
TRD belt tensioner
Megasquirt PNP EMS
750cc RC injectors
Inovate LC2 wideband wired into the megasquirt.
Torsen LSD rear end with 4.10 gears. new output shaft seals.
2 sets of wheels. 14" with Falken azenias rt615's 50% life. 15" drag dr-20 with Kuhmo tires ~90% life.
r-line front lip
AXXIS ultimate brake pads.
sony cd player with ipod connector.
battery is less than a year old.
I was more or less happy with it at the time, other than the fake Work Equip 03s, the oxidation on the paint, a minor oil leak and a noisy speedo cable (all of which I knew about before hand). It pulled ok, and everything seemed to work pretty well. I had convinced myself that I could do some maintenance, put some wheels on it and leave it alone... Yeah right.
Over the course of the summer/ fall I did a bunch of maintenance and minor mods:
New brake pads and fresh fluid
Modified RB front sway bar end links
Lowered the car some on the coilovers
Kosei K1s in 15x8 +32 with 225/45-15 Toyo R1Rs
Had the paint buffed (the trunk looks almost presentable now)
Cleaned up the engine bay a bunch
New wideband sensor
Greased the poly bushings
Replaced the speedo cable
Hunted down and fixed the oil leak that turned out to be a power steering fluid leak
Scored a black hard top for -$800 (bought a beater with the top which I cleaned up and sold for more than I had in the whole pile)
Then an ad popped up on here for a mostly new, mostly complete Flyin Miata Ubercharger Whipple 1.2L twin screw kit that I couldn't pass up, so I snapped it up with some of my school loan for the Fall semester, and the MP62 got sold to cover my irresponsible use of school money (
Everything sort of started to spiral at that point. A stock Ubercharger kit will make enough power to punch the connecting rods through the block, so I horse traded my way into a Supertech 2L big bore motor, complete, machined and ready except for connecting rods. The same guy let me buy a '99 head to go with the NB Ubercharger kit. I also grabbed a Boig header from a local guy who had gone turbo, but the Boigs come with a 2" collector, which wouldn't even sort of do. Plus I just couldn't bring myself to put a spray bombed mild steel header on my car. This was the result:
I replaced the 2" collector was replaced with a 7 degree divergent nozzle, to a 3" v-band ring, and sent everything to Nitroplate in Nashville for their super cool magic coating. This obviously necessitated a new exhaust, which brings us to this weekend:
I used a pair of Hindle Titanium Supersport cans, along with a Magnaflow 3" cat and all 3" 304 stainless tube. I spent 2 weeks getting my fits exactly where I wanted them with zero gaps for pretty TIG welds, and the day I had to get it all done to get the car off the lift, the pedal on my buddy's TIG decided it just wasn't going to cooperate. It went from no arc to blowing holes in the tube instantly, no matter how low the amperage was set. So I had to learn to MIG stainless in an afternoon, and... it looks pretty horrendous, but you can't tell that from outside the car, and it still took off significant weight, so I guess I'm happy with it, all things considered. It's a little loud for my taste, so I'll end up adding a resonator soon.
So, at this point I still haven't turned up a set of connecting rods for the 2L, or the little detail bits to finish off the Ubercharger kit. Before I do any of that, though, I need to come up with a clutch, some sort of charge cooling, and I plan to do some chassis reinforcement, aero parts, and some more weight savings. I have never really been one to keep a project long enough to finish it (chronic 60 day automotive attention span) but I've really grown attached to this one. Hopefully I won't get bored with it too soon...