Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread - Page 202 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #4021
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,709
Total Cats: 122
Default War on women

Scummy...

State Democrats rush a vote as GOP Senator steps away to nurse her baby - Blog - MyNorthwest.com
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #4022
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

to be fair... she should be doing her job and not pkaying with her ****/tots.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #4023
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,709
Total Cats: 122
Default Uh oh....

Europe Does It Again: Cyprus Depositor Haircut "Bailout" Turns Into Saver "Panic", Frozen Assets, Bank Runs, Broken ATMs | Zero Hedge

Keep a little money in your mattress...
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #4025
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 176
Angry

What a mess Europe is. Because they seem intent on cutting off their nose to spite their face, this is going to just be a repeat of every other "bailout." The Troika will insist on some austerity measures which will depress GDP which will increase debt-to-GDP ratios and fiscal deficits will grow or stay the same rather than shrink.

That will cause the country to require another "bailout." What a disaster.

How in the world they justify a deposit-for-illiquid-equity swap with insured depositors, I don't understand. Anyone with deposits above the insured limit could reasonably have faced losses, like equity and debt holders.

While the UK continues to try its best to blend the worst of EMU and Japanese-style options, it's still looking a lot smarter than the rest of the Continent that joined the currency union.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #4026
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default


so disgusting. i laughed at them when i saw the courtroom footage of them crying like bitches and apologizing. they deserve more than 4 years. juvenile BS is BS. But they'd probably get killed in a real prison.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #4027
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
What a mess Europe is. Because they seem intent on cutting off their nose to spite their face, this is going to just be a repeat of every other "bailout." The Troika will insist on some austerity measures which will depress GDP which will increase debt-to-GDP ratios and fiscal deficits will grow or stay the same rather than shrink.

That will cause the country to require another "bailout." What a disaster.

How in the world they justify a deposit-for-illiquid-equity swap with insured depositors, I don't understand. Anyone with deposits above the insured limit could reasonably have faced losses, like equity and debt holders.

While the UK continues to try its best to blend the worst of EMU and Japanese-style options, it's still looking a lot smarter than the rest of the Continent that joined the currency union.
shut up, and give me 10% of your bank account.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #4028
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,480
Total Cats: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
so disgusting. i laughed at them when i saw the courtroom footage of them crying like bitches and apologizing. they deserve more than 4 years. juvenile BS is BS. But they'd probably get killed in a real prison.
Disgusting is right. Apparently after the verdict was read, one of the convicted "apologized" to the victim by saying that the photos should never have been taken, that no one deserves to have photos taken of them like that.

HEY DIPSHIT, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO JAIL FOR THE PHOTOS. THE CRIME WAS THE SEXUAL ABUSE, THE PHOTOS JUST PROVED THAT YOU DID IT.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #4029
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

the weirdest thing of all is that alcohol is illegal for people under 21.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #4030
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,170
Total Cats: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
the weirdest thing of all is that alcohol is illegal for people under 21.
I know I am still unclear how they could have possible circumvented this law...
Ryan_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #4031
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,480
Total Cats: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
the weirdest thing of all is that alcohol is illegal for people under 21.
Eric Holder should look into this.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #4032
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
I know I am still unclear how they could have possible circumvented this law...
it's almost like, people will choose to break laws and that it doesn't prevent crime...
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #4033
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,709
Total Cats: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
What a mess Europe is. Because they seem intent on cutting off their nose to spite their face, this is going to just be a repeat of every other "bailout." The Troika will insist on some austerity measures which will depress GDP which will increase debt-to-GDP ratios and fiscal deficits will grow or stay the same rather than shrink.

That will cause the country to require another "bailout." What a disaster.

How in the world they justify a deposit-for-illiquid-equity swap with insured depositors, I don't understand. Anyone with deposits above the insured limit could reasonably have faced losses, like equity and debt holders.

While the UK continues to try its best to blend the worst of EMU and Japanese-style options, it's still looking a lot smarter than the rest of the Continent that joined the currency union.
What are the odds that the GOP House will put forward a bill that would outlaw this in the U.S.? Dems....zero percent. GOP...maybe a little better. I've already read that there's been talk about "converting" IRA's to government-controlled entities that give guaranteed returns, but your heirs get nothing.

Something like this Cyprus mess shine a light on our own problems, and it seems the cockroaches in Washington are getting bolder and bolder with their money grabs.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #4034
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

It is a scary thought, but i don't think we need worry. Although I could see dems trying to do this to people who have over $25.0000[sic] in their bank account*.

Seriously though, if you look at the mess that is EU, why do people continue to give gov'ts more and more power, especially when it comes to ruining economies?






*I hope you guys got this joke, it's a play on the $25,867.73 number that Cyprus is using is using to legally steal money from, and the $250,000 number that we like to us in the US to define the uber-rich with.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #4035
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 176
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordycord View Post
I've already read that there's been talk about "converting" IRA's to government-controlled entities that give guaranteed returns, but your heirs get nothing.
I've heard this a few times, but never seen any legislation put forward or any credible sources. The reality is, for many people, they might very well be better off with a pension instead of an IRA or 401k.

That's what you are describing: converting a lump sum to a life-only annuity. Usually, government pensions give the option of taking a reduced monthly payment and allowing your spouse to receive that same reduced monthly payment should you predecease them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Seriously though, if you look at the mess that is EU, why do people continue to give gov'ts more and more power, especially when it comes to ruining economies?
In this case, it's actually the fact that their country is in a weird limbo. The individual members of the European Monetary Union(1) either need to give up more power(2) or they need to take back more power(3).




Footnotes:
(1) EMU, the guys that gave up their national currencies to switch to the euro
(2) move to a full fiscal union like the United States has
(3) leave the EMU and return to their own sovereign currencies
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #4036
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,170
Total Cats: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
Footnotes:
(1) EMU, the guys that gave up their national currencies to switch to the euro
(2) move to a full fiscal union like the United States has
(3) leave the EMU and return to their own sovereign currencies
I do not see (2) ever being acheivable in Europe. They are not nearly cohesive enough socially for this to work. (3) This is what will happen eventually IMO. Either by choice or when the system they have finally implodes.
Ryan_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #4037
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
In this case, it's actually the fact that their country is in a weird limbo. The individual members of the European Monetary Union(1) either need to give up more power(2) or they need to take back more power(3).
still it all seems like a scam...we'll give you a 18 billion "loan" if you can come up with $X.YZ.

What countries in the EMU aren't in some weird limbo, they all owe each other billions and billions and have no wealth of their own?


If I were in charge, one requirement to getting any of my potential dollars would be to outlaw gov't pensions and welfare and make it very difficult to be poor. they'd riot, like they always do for any reason, id be called the devil, no one would like me, but dems da *****, some's gotta be the "bad guy".
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #4038
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 176
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
I do not see (2) ever being acheivable in Europe. They are not nearly cohesive enough socially for this to work. (3) This is what will happen eventually IMO. Either by choice or when the system they have finally implodes.
They have been progressively moving towards a fiscal union over the last ~5 years. An EMU wide bank regulator, EMU-wide deposit insurance, etc. I think it's far more likely than a break-up but I wouldn't rule out either option.

The social issues are very real, though. After all, the Germans probably benefited the most from the EMU while the Spanish and Italians suffered the most. Meanwhile, the Germans are being held up as the hard-working suckers paying welfare for the lazy and profligate Mediterraneans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
still it all seems like a scam...we'll give you a 18 billion "loan" if you can come up with $X.YZ.

What countries in the EMU aren't in some weird limbo, they all owe each other billions and billions and have no wealth of their own?
Right, it doesn't make any sense.

New York: "Hey, Arkansas. We see your poverty and unemployment rates are really high and you are running continual deficits. We will loan you some money on the conditions that (A) you reduce your deficit and (B) you have to enact several changes that will increase your deficit and unemployment."

Arkansas: "Sign us up!"


In the USA, there is a continual and mutually beneficial flow of funds from all of the states to the central treasury and then from the central treasury to all of the states. Some run surpluses and some run deficits, but not every country or state can run a surplus. Someone's deficit is someone else's surplus, by definition.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #4039
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

I'll give you some beneficial flow...
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #4040
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 176
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
I'll give you some beneficial flow...
I would love to see that exchange in a debate.


Econ Geek: "I believe the European currency union must move to a full fiscal union, much like the United States of America."

Econ Nerd: "This is a pipe dream and unrealistic. Each nation must move back to currency sovereignty in order for their respective economies to find their natural equilibrium."

Econ Geek: "I must disagree. Should the EU move to a full fiscal union, and take full advantage of the beneficial flow of funds from each state, they would potentially become the world's largest economic producer."

Econ Nerd: "I'll give you some beneficial flow."
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 52 08-28-2016 05:18 AM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:24 PM.