Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread - Page 77 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #1521
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 28
Default

Dude, if you want Gingrich bloopers...



Gingrich praised Obama for healthcare and (part of) the stimulus in '09.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #1522
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 176
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
Scrappy, are you trying to imply I'm an angry leftist? Or an angry secularist? Or a hyperventilating blogger? Hell, are you trying to accuse me of being leftist? Or are you merely trying to lump me in with that crowd?
I'm lumping you in with that crowd on this topic (and increasingly in the hyperventilating crowd in general). More specifically, you seem to be tilting from devil's advocate to troll. Said another way, you seem to be looking to start an argument rather than a discussion. e.g. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
This is going to be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
You are attacking a quote I took verbatim from an article Gearhead linked and are apparently trying to say I created it wholesale out of cloth. I don't think you are quite up to your normal standards of argument here.
Sorry, allow me to restate that:
"I would argue that Santorum didn't exactly mean what you said they said he said and you (/the angry left / angry secularists / hyperventilating bloggers) are projecting excess malice where there is none."

By repeating it and saying "the quote is accurate," you take some ownership of it in my opinion.


There is enough legitimate stuff to criticize and compliment the candidates for.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #1523
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
I'm lumping you in with that crowd on this topic (and increasingly in the hyperventilating crowd in general). More specifically, you seem to be tilting from devil's advocate to troll. Said another way, you seem to be looking to start an argument rather than a discussion. e.g. :





Sorry, allow me to restate that:
"I would argue that Santorum didn't exactly mean what you said they said he said and you (/the angry left / angry secularists / hyperventilating bloggers) are projecting excess malice where there is none."

By repeating it and saying "the quote is accurate," you take some ownership of it in my opinion.


There is enough legitimate stuff to criticize and compliment the candidates for.
Dude...

This is not trolling. Here's a right wing article on him saying that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...ieR_story.html

Or are you telling me that the ------- WaPo is now in the leftist camp? 'Cause I've got more righty articles on it. You are the only source and/or person who has tried to argue that he said otherwise that I've met or read, anywhere. Yer argument about it being left-wing alarmism does not hold water if the right wing is also saying it.

(Ninjar edit)

Quote:
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
Relevant to modern political practices?

Last edited by blaen99; 02-28-2012 at 02:55 PM.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #1524
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 176
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
You are the only source and/or person who has tried to argue that he said otherwise that I've met or read, anywhere.
1. You wrote (without attributing it to anyone, so I assume your thought), "Santorum is sickened that Kennedy said he would not impose his Catholic faith on Baptists."

What every editorial or article has said was some form of he was sickened by President Kennedy's speech. Santorum specifically said the idea of only the nonreligious having access to the "public square" made him want to throw up.

What he is saying is nonsense but it is different than what you said he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
Yer argument about it being left-wing alarmism does not hold water if the right wing is also saying it.
2. I did not say anything about left-wing alarmism. I said you need to lay off the angry left websites and hyperventilating blogs. That seems to be where you are going in order to source material to bring back here for the express purpose of generating arguments rather than discussions.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #1525
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
1. You wrote (without attributing it to anyone, so I assume your thought), "Santorum is sickened that Kennedy said he would not impose his Catholic faith on Baptists."

What every editorial or article has said was some form of he was sickened by President Kennedy's speech. Santorum specifically said the idea of only the nonreligious having access to the "public square" made him want to throw up.

What he is saying is nonsense but it is different than what you said he said.
No, what I said was a direct quote from the article Gearhead posted, which is stated quite clearly in this thread.

Quote:
2. I did not say anything about left-wing alarmism. I said you need to lay off the angry left websites and hyperventilating blogs. That seems to be where you are going in order to source material to bring back here for the express purpose of generating arguments rather than discussions.
Lolwut? Are you seriously referring to the links from a lol-leftist-nutjob site that I posted (And took all of 1 minute to google for in order to) to counter Brainy's post quoting a Republican talking point as a topic and using a lol-rightist-nutjob site as a source?

My links go all over the spectrum, Scrappy. If someone posts a ridiculous article quoting a political talking point, then yes, I'm going to post an equally ridiculous article from across the spectrum to demonstrate just how ridiculous the article is. I will admit that I laughed my *** off when people tried to call me on the leftist nutjobs when the OP's source came from rightist nutjobs though.

Or, perhaps, you are referring...to the article that Gearhead posted? I'm going through my posting history in politics right now, and scratching my head. ----, I've posted stuff from Heritage before looking at it.

P.S. Yes, yes you did say something about left-wing alarmism. Or, should I say the left wing hyperventilating crowd. It's the same damn thing Scrappy, and you know it.

Last edited by blaen99; 02-28-2012 at 04:42 PM.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #1526
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

facts in a story are not a republican talking point.


oh wait, if you're a liberal they are. I keep forgetting that part of the playbook.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #1527
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
facts in a story are not a republican talking point.
Are you admitting that Krugman can have a point Brainy? 'Cause I remember an article I posted where because it was Krugman, no matter what the data or facts said, you said quite clearly that it was Krugman, hence it was false. This logic cuts both ways bro. You don't get to play that card only when it benefits you, and then try to say it's not valid when it doesn't benefit you.

Quote:
oh wait, if you're a liberal they are. I keep forgetting that part of the playbook.
Oh wait, if you are a conservative, if you repeat something enough, it becomes truth. Can we stop with the partisan tripe when we both know better than that about the other guy already Brainy?
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #1528
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


krugman is a keynesian; he's worse than a democrat. I understand exactly why people are democrats, mainly they are stupid, but i totally undertstand why they would be. But an economist subscribing in keynes is like you believing in god.



trorllrorlrolorltorltraotlralosafddlsllllltrollllo lololololololoaslfodsalfosalfosadlofda ls fg safdsavcxz
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #1529
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
No, what I said was a direct quote from the article Gearhead posted, which is stated quite clearly in this thread.
You are correct; I misread that.

However, I still have yet to see anywhere in which Santorum says he is sickened by the idea that Kennedy would not "impose his Catholic faith on" anyone. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just saying I haven't seen it and -

- and realizing I really don't care enough to continue to devote time to this particular conversation about Santorum and people just making ---- up or repeating ---- someone else made up.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #1530
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
You are correct; I misread that.

However, I still have yet to see anywhere in which Santorum says he is sickened by the idea that Kennedy would not "impose his Catholic faith on" anyone. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just saying I haven't seen it and -

- and realizing I really don't care enough to continue to devote time to this particular conversation about Santorum and people just making ---- up or repeating ---- someone else made up.
If someone made it up, then both the left wing and right wing news sources are having a field day with it.

However, if you read the WaPo article at all, you'd know he said WITH RESPECT to Kennedy's speech...

Quote:
But that’s not all. On the Sunday shows he even lit into John F. Kennedy’s famous 1960 speech to Protestant ministers in Houston, in which he called for the strict separation of church and state. Santorum said the speech sickened him.

“What kind of country do we live in that says only people of non-faith can come into the public square and make their case?” Santorum asked George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s “This Week.” “That makes me throw up.”
So yes. Santorum did say Kennedy's speech did make him throw up, or sicken him.

(Edit) Or are you trying to argue against the use of similes, Scrappy? Similar to "But I DIDNT SAY LEFT WING ALARMISTS", when you said left wing hyperventilators?
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #1531
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
^ That is what I feel like whenever I read this thread.
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #1532
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 176
Lightbulb

*le sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
So yes. Santorum did say Kennedy's speech did make him throw up, or sicken him.
He said the speech made him want to throw up, specifying that he interpreted the speech as somehow asserting that only the nonreligious should be in the "public square."

Santorum did not say that he was sickened by Kennedy's refusal to impose his Catholic religious views on Baptist ministers - at least not that I can see anywhere.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #1533
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 28
Default

Scrappy, you DO understand Kennedy's speech was entirely about not imposing his faith on Baptists, right? Kennedy's speech was completely about imposing beliefs in the context of Santorum's quote.

I've already said that Santorum may not have meant it that way, but he did something he shouldn't have done and that was extremely boneheaded.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=16920600

Read Kennedy's speech. I'm not disputing that Santorum may not have meant what he said (Although what I *think* he meant to say is actually substantially worse....Much, much, much worse actually. Santorum represents the peak of religious nutjobbery that we need to GTFO of our government ASAP.), but what he said is fairly straightforward.

However, and in all seriousness, at this point I think your argument on Santorum has reached the level of the "But I didn't say leftist alarmists! I SAID LEFTIST HYPERVENTILATORS!!!!". Read JFK's speech, and you'll understand why.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #1534
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 28
Default

Hell, just for you Scrappy.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/santorum-...many-colleges/

According to Santorum, higher education is a liberal indoctrination process.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #1535
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beckley, WV
Posts: 868
Total Cats: 36
Default

This image is making its rounds on facebook. It seems ignorance is bliss...

Tekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #1536
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
Scrappy, you DO understand Kennedy's speech was entirely about not imposing his faith on Baptists, right? Kennedy's speech was completely about imposing beliefs in the context of Santorum's quote.
We will have to agree to disagree on our interpretations of Kennedy's speech which would lead to a disagreement on Santorum's main point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
According to Santorum, higher education is a liberal indoctrination process.
I'm just going to skip this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekel View Post
This image is making its rounds on facebook. It seems ignorance is bliss...
Hey guys, remember when gas was super cheap after having cratered due to one of the worst recessions since the Great Depression? Man, that was awesome.



/Buzz Killington
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #1537
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Round Pond, ME
Posts: 669
Total Cats: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekel View Post
This image is making its rounds on facebook. It seems ignorance is bliss...

Oh, yeah.....I remember.

Props for putting a picture in the picture/video thread.
xturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #1538
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Briebart died today.

Thumbs down.

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #1539
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 28,963
Total Cats: 327
Default

Its funny that you bring up the higher-education indoctrination issue. My GF is at Rice in a PhD program and running as fast as she can to another college within the university because it is somewhat impossible to pass any course in the department as a capitalist.

Her previous university was more welcoming of differing opinions.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #1540
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,107
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Attached Thumbnails
Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread-20120301_breitbart.jpg  
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 52 08-28-2016 05:18 AM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.