So i finished the piping today at 7 but had to get ready to see The Hangover
. BTW that movie is hilarious and i highly reccomend seeing it.
Anyway back to the intercooler. I went to Central Welding to pick up up some more supplies and saw some drill attachments that would be great. Added 10$ to the tab.
Got my boss to cut out the flange on the CNC router
I marked where i wanted the BOV
Started drillin holes around the perimeter
I used one of the drill bit sanding attachements to sand it nice and smooth
I used a hole saw at work to make a nice fit
Sanded the flange nice and smooth
Cut the pipe shorter so it wouldnt sit too high
That drill sander works wonders
What the BOV looks like mounted
Heres me welding. Im not a hillbilly; those are my work clothes and they keep me nice and cool in the hot shop.
Okay now on to the cold side piping. Grab one of your 90's and mount it on with the shorter side to the intercooler. No cutting required for this piece. Grab another 90 and cut it short and leave the bend all there.
Heres the only uncut piece of this piping kit
figureing out where to cut .
Marked it out and cut it
I decided to make the cold side 1 piece so theres the fit up and marked the line
All tacked togethor
Marked the hole for the IAC valve
Took some 3/4" OD tube and test fitted it
Got it tacked on
Last fitup before final welding.
All welded up, Notice the beading on the IAC valve. It wouldnt be a tight fit without it.
Heres what the BOV looks like mounted on the hot side
All done with the intercooler. Just need to get an IAT bung welded on and fab a bracket so that the wastegate has something to clamp too
Overall it took about 5 hours to do for my first time. I have 3 pipes i didnt use. Also i didnt use lots of the couplers and T-bolts. When i take the turbo off again im going to weld a piece of 2 1/2" aluminum over it so i can actually get the right coupler and a T-bolt around it. I must say that my engine bay looks much better/cleaner. I got a K&N air filter coming in the mail to compliment my new piping. The old one i smashed down so it would fit.
I used a abrasive chop saw (used for cutting steel) and would of made much better cuts using a band saw or a chop saw with a carbide blade.
Tack everything togethor first and test fit prior to final weldout.
"Takes just as long to do it right as it does to do it wrong" -My father
I used a water hose to spray inside of all the pipes before final connection to get all the aluminum shavings out.
Overall i spent approx 170$ for a full intercooler kit and was very easy (although welding for some might be a problem)