So Ive been working on a V-Mount setup for my car for about two months now and after a temporary ghetto rig that phil (levnubhin) and i setup as an after thought to what i was originally gonna do, Its just about finished. The hard part is over and now its just little things.
A little over a month ago and the idea started when i wanted to get the shortest intercooler piping possible and still keep the stock location for the radiator and the a/c. Ive done my time with cars and no ac in florida and so i was determined to have that working again.
I came up with some p shops of what i wanted and then went and bought an intercooler:
After i got it i realized that it wasnt going to be so easy because it was about 2 inches too short to fit the way i wanted it to. Basically one side right to the throttle body and the other to the compressor outlet tube.
I made it to Phils job after work at 5:30pm. Started taking the stock intercooler piping out and all that jazz and then re installed the stock radiator mounts that i had customized, put the radiator in, then tried putting the intercooler in. Then it happened. The "oh crap this isnt gonna work like this" moment. The worst part was that I had cut the stock rubber intercooler hoses to get them out of the car so i was between a rock and a hard place now. I had to drive the car home. That night.
And then it happened. "Dude, we're gonna have to ghetto rig a V-Mount."
I pulled the radiator out and tried getting a decent angle for it to sit to allow me to put the intercooler in place.
And then it happened again. "Dude, ugh, Im gonna have to take the a/c out. Crap."
Out came the ac in all its polluting glory..making me depressed at the same time. Wondering how the hell i was gonna get that back in, I said screw it, we gotta move on. Out came the aluminum piece I had. We mesured, cut, and came up with a strip of almuninum and the stock upper bracket for the bottom:
Then we rigged up some couplers and old radiator hose and got that out of the way. Then the issue of how the hell we were gonna mount the intercooler came in. The piping was priving to be VERY difficult given what we had at our disposal. It was already past 9pm and stores were closed. So we made due with what we had. A mix of the stock ic hoses and a silicon hose i bought.
This horrid mess got me home at 2am and performed great for the month i drove around with it on. But I wanted to do everything right. No ghetto-ness. So I went to my friend Rick whos a ridiculously good welder and fabricater. Since time was short the day I went to see him, we did the intercooler piping first and came out with this:
A few weeks passed and I got my CXRacing radiator from ebay in. Great rads as ive used them in the past with no issues at all. Finally Rick and I's scheduals agreed with each other and we got crackin on the radiator and the a/c.
Friday night we started at 5
m and didnt go home till 2am. Car stayed at the shop. This was both of our first times doing a Vmount to this extent.
Saturday back in the shop at 1:00pm. LOTS of deliberating and measuring and thinking and this:
and finally the outcome:
Better pics will be up later on today but damn, it was totally worth the time and the money. My coolant temps are 200 when it starts up and 190 or less when im on the street or highway. My ac works better then when it bought the car, and the pimp factor is through the roof. Would i do this again, hell no lol. Too much time involved but its totally worth it. The radiator is angled at 30 degrees which is working great. All i have left to do is make a new intake and shrouding and a vented hood. The hard stuff is done.