Hey from Australia guys.
Right, I've bought a rebuild engine and turbo kit for my NA. My own engine needed a re-fresh so it made sense to buy a rebuild engine with some nice turbo kit for a really good price.
Here's a few quick pics of my car:
It's a pretty rare 1989 Mazdaspeed B-Spec.
- 1.6 Mazdaspeed - I am lead to believe there were only around 400 of these made.
- 193,100 kilometers
- Silver stone metallic paint
- Air conditioning
- Power steering
- 130 bhp
- Full Mazdaspeed Headers and Exhaust System.
- Mazdaspeed ECU
- Mazdaspeed Plate Type LSD
- Mazdaspeed Engraved Cam Cover
- Mazdaspeed oil cap
- Mazdaspeed radiator cap
- Cold Air Induction Kit
So what I have bought:
Picture of the engine almost installed in the previous owners car (he's selling the package as he hit a sidewall during a track day and is building a 1.8 for a different racing class)
Specs on motor-
- long nose crank, and late model pulleys.
- all new bearings, gaskets, studs, pistons, timing belt, etc, etc.
- The head was stripped down, chemically cleaned, machined and tested before being ported and cleaned up to flow more and make more power. It's fitted with heavy duty valve springs and an HKS intake cam and adjustable cam wheel.
- The bottom end was honed and recieved all new parts, with new mx5 pistons and rings, bearings, etc. After being washed in a hot tank along with the sump, crank and any other bits and pieces.
- It has a Greddy manifold and mitsubishi td04h turbo.
- A microtech computer that was dyno tuned to suit the motor in it's current set up with the turbo on, pretty ready to go.
- Unknown injectors - this came with the turbo kit he bought with the turbo kit.
- Oil lines already threaded into the engine ( sump I presume)
- Intercooler with some pipework and fittings.
(The oil cooler and remote filter kit doesn't come with it.)
My questions are:
Anything else that stands out that I need?
Clutch - my car supposedly has an uprated clutch from the previous owner but I guess it will be much easier to inspect when my own engine is out to assess the condition of it and install an uprated item if it doesn't have one?
Any ideas on a good uprated clutch?
(Car was dynod twice on 2 different dynos - 170bhp @ wheels and 190 bhp @ wheels)
It doesn't come with a downpipe - would it be easier to try and make one or just buy a Greddy downpipe?
(I have a full Mazdaspeed exhaust so I'm unsure if a standard Greddy downpipe will bolt up to a Mazdaspeed system)
Diff - It's a 1.6 diff - but the plate type Mazdaspeed version - hopefully it will hold up to the power. Any info on the power these diffs might take?
It's still the standard radiator - do you guys know if the standard radiator will suits my needs?
It has NA 1.8 brakes - pretty ok, but I guess a good uprated set will be needed?
Any more additional info will be greatly appreciated guys.
Thanks in advance.