I took several hours over the weekend I tried to isolate the crank and cam signals. Still no start - anyone any suggestions?
Here is a summary of what I've done to the car. It turned out the signal I was getting was from the Cam (plugging and unplugging made it appear and disappear). I also traced the wiring from the Crank to the ECU and they are not jumpered - 4E and 4H. Now questioning if I ever had crank signal previously when I ran the car in naturally aspirated form. I also realized I made a blunder trying to use a 9495 turbo tune on a 96 as pins have changed - previously improperly assumed that only differences were in displacement.
Car is a 96. Ran on DIYPNP prior to turbo install and TB change. After install, had a 25V capacitor explosion. replaced caps, re-wired trace. Replaced capacitors with digikey 39-3595-ND, loaded firmware 331a, plugged back into car. Car cranks, but no start. 22F ambient temperature.
Condition 1 (last week):
Loaded the 9495 331a turbo tuner map. Cranks, no start.
Tests / assumed results:
- only got one signal in composite log viewer (Trigger) / assumed it was crank
- per matt, confirmed a 470 pullup in for VR2, I don't have R20,21,or 39 installed
- tested voltage from cam harness, returns were 0,+11.8,+10,5 when key in "on position" (when harness tab is facing up, left to right)
- tested cranking with cam plugged in and unplugged - signal went away when unplugged. have - signal is CAM not crank.
Condition 2 (this weekend):
- confirmed gap on hall sensor to crank tooth
- tested proper resistance on hall sensor (500Ohm)
- confirmed continuity and resistance from crank sensor at ECU. (4E and 4H)
- 4E and 4H are not jumpered in so I guess I never got a crank signal?
This is when I realized the 94/95 used different jumpers than a 96. I loaded up the 96 NA tune base map.
- tunerstudio still says "not synced"
- when logging, unable to save a composite log at all as tunerstudio says "no signal received from controller"
- I think hardware wise, the sensors are fine and that they are properly connected to the ECU harness.
- Does the 96 need a crank signal? (Instructions show no jumpers on 4E or 4H where crank signals go)
- Why am I now unable to see a cam signal at all? Seems like all physical wiring/harnesses are fine and a CAM signal was present when (improperly) using the 9495 tune file.
- Am I getting correct voltages out of the DIYPNP into the cam sensor?
- n00b confirmation: which firmware should I use for the DIYPNP? (I am using the "Microsquirt-module" option when loading 331A. Didn't use 333 because I could not find a turbo 9697 tuner map.
- what else can I check?
-getting pretty frustrated...