02-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Total Cats: 0
Building a 99-00 1.8L for Realiablility goals on a SC system.
Alright this build is not one where I expect many to say "Thats a radical build" I honestly I will be building this for a NA Miata as a test run to see what I think before I decide to go forward with my KL swap in the NB or build the 1.8 in it and sell the KL.
The goals are 300HP or so from a Eaton M62 Clutched.
Megasquirt and E85.
Full Exhaust w/Header.
Full Suspension and Torsen Diff.
Now for this to get close (Which it seems most SC builds of the past did not really get over 200 quite well but I have no run across my build idea yet. Either way again this is not a Max Power build, reliable comes first) I know were looking at optimistic but I will be working on a Custom Pulley to get the boost to a max of 15psi (We saw a max of 12 PSI with this SC on a 2.5L KL so on a 1.8L BP I would think its possible with the right crank pulley (You can not change the SC Pulley since this is a clutched version).
We are going to use a 100k 1.8L that runs and so far for the build I am wanting to do the following:
1) Forged Pistons at the stock compression ratio to help increase power output. (Another reason for MS and E85)
2) Forged Rod's to ensure strength.
3) All ARP Hardware
4) The best Head Gasket choice (Would like input here please)
Now I am looking for feedback but thats the basic idea, also I would like to hear about which pistons and rods people recommend since obviously this is not a high numbers build but we do want it to be good quality, we will be double checking everything at the shop.
As for other questions:
1) Cams, any vendor pref. here and how many grinds are there to choose from?
2) Valve Springs and Retainers, any upgrades that are a good idea to do since were going to be going through anyway? (Plan on doing a slight PnP anyway but nothing extreme like bigger valves at this time)
3) What Bearings do you guys pref when rebuilding, OEM or?
4) Base map for 1.8L and the Eaton M62?
5) Recommendations on other points that could be weak or in need of attention.
6) Do you guys shim the oil pump, upgrade it or anything sim or again is OEM fine?
I plan on doing a coolant reroute on the setup as well as better clutch obviously.
Also I was thinking about using 800-1000cc Injector Dynamics Injectors, any pref. over those or decent deals?
Last edited by Cross; 02-20-2011 at 01:19 PM.