Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Jason's reverse Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 2
Default Jason's reverse Build

Now that we have this section, I thought I would share my story. It started back in 07 when I was looking for a replacement toy. I previously had a turbo miata many, many years ago so I knew that was the way to go. I have always like to start my projects with as close to a stock car as possible, but this time I thought that I might have had the best of both worlds. Not too far away from me was a 2001 with just over 9000 miles on it. It appeared to be in great condition and had a DIY turbo kit on it. The setup was a bit different and the car pulled pretty decent so I decided to buy it. If anything, this would be and ideal starting point for me. Here’s a few pictures of the car when I got it.
Attached Thumbnails Jason's reverse Build-1.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-2.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-3.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-4.jpg  

Last edited by levnubhin; 12-30-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Elite Member

After buying the car it started to feel really slow as I got used to it. I put it on the dyno and it only put down 206 rwhp. This is when I started to look at upgrading things and at the same time trying to keep it emissions legal. I’ve always done been very patient when I buy parts and because of this I found a great deal on a turbo, manifold, external wastegate, intercooler and piping (thanks Mike). The intercooler pipes didn’t line up correctly on my car and the manifold flange was warped a little bit. At the price I paid I wasn’t concerned and these were both easily corrected. At about the same time I went searching for an ECU. I originally wanted the AEM F/IC because it was so cheap and I thought it would do what I wanted, but as I looked into it more I went with the Hydra from FM because of its ability to control VVT (thanks y8s). The exhaust is a 3” Enthuza with a catalytic converter in place. I never really cared for the BBS rims that the car came with so I upgraded to 15x9 6ULs and I’m pretty happy with them. I still wish I went with a wider tire than the 225s, but they are fine for now. Before I could get really crazy and have some fun with the car I had to pass my emissions test. Using the factory ECU, stock injectors and putting the MAF back in place, the car passed emissions this summer without any problems. Shortly there after I put the hydra in with the 750cc injectors and using the FM base map I made 277 rwhp at 10 pounds of boost. I have leaned it out a bit because it was pig rich and I feel that made a huge improvement but I haven’t been back to the dyno. I really like this setup for the street compared to my previous baby turbo which fell on its face at higher rpms. I will drive the car like this for the rest of the summer because if I don’t, I will lose interest in it and sell it.
Attached Thumbnails Jason's reverse Build-5.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-6.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-7.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-8.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-9.jpg  

Old 09-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

I pulled it outside this morning and snapped a few shots. Nothing special, but possibly the last nice day up here until spring.
Attached Thumbnails Jason's reverse Build-10.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-11.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-12.jpg  
Old 09-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Elite Member

This summer I have noticed a bunch of threads with people selling built motors. Out of all the ones I saw, I either didn’t like the specs, the seller didn’t want to answer questions about the motor or it was not a price I was willing to pay. I check CL everyday and found a local guy selling parts from a wrecked car. I wanted a trunk without a spoiler on it and he had one. While speaking with him I mentioned that I was looking for a few other items. He said he had exactly what I was looking for. Next thing I knew he showed up at my house and delivered a FM motor, 6 speed transmission and my trunk lid. Although the engine needs some work before I can use it, I’m not too concerned. I will be able to take care of all that when I put a built 01 head on it. These are a few pictures from the day he dropped it in my garage. I’ll continue to update this over the next couple of months as I tear into it and have some progress to show.
Attached Thumbnails Jason's reverse Build-13.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-14.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-15.jpg  

Last edited by JayL; 09-28-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 PM

Total Cats: 1

Wow. pretty clean *** ride man, 277 whp at 10 psi is great, just immagine what you can get with your new motor, whats the specs on the turbo?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by greenday3437
Wow. pretty clean *** ride man, 277 whp at 10 psi is great, just immagine what you can get with your new motor, whats the specs on the turbo?
The turbo is a Precision SC61 with a .63 A/R T3 turbine side and I was running 91 octane gas for the dyno runs. I am hoping to hit around 400 to the wheels when I turn up the boost and I most likely will shoot for higher with water/methanol injection.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 477

Nice setup, nice numbers. We need Videos! All the members on this forum with badass rides and they don't make videos. :(
Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 19

You are building my dream car. '01 to '05 miata with a well-built turbo setup and the drivetrain to handle the power.

When I graduate and start making engineer-money, I am going to have that.

Great build, I am totally jealous.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 566

What about the motor needs work?

Looks like you got a steal, i love your car.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Elite Member

The motor came out of a local car that was wrecked. In the accident the front end got pushed back into the engine and did some damage. It's all minor stuff and will not really matter since it will get a vvt head put on it anyways. I just want to make sure that everything is perfect on the head that I pull off before I sell it.

I am hoping to take it to the track on the 18th to see what it will trap in the quarter mile. With the weather already getting crappy around here, that will probably be the last time I drive it this year. I put just over 1000 miles on it this year for a grand total of just over 20000. Hopefully I can finish it this winter and actually enjoy it next year.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:25 AM

Total Cats: 0

Nice job!

But I think you ll need a solution for the drivetrain if you have 300++++ whp
Old 10-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Elite Member

Nice ride.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Elite Member

A couple of things arrived today.....
Attached Thumbnails Jason's reverse Build-new-turbo.jpg   Jason's reverse Build-new-manifold.jpg  
Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 PM
VladiTuned

Total Cats: 3,481

Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 1

That looks like a big'n!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 19

Looks like Santa came early! Sweet!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 3

Where did you get that awesome manifold?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:39 PM

I've been looking at picking up an SC61 for my EGT- is there any reason you'd recommend against getting one?

That new manifold looks killer, btw.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Elite Member

I haven't had any problems with the SC61 except that I haven't really been able to find out much information about it. I have some friends in the honda and dsm crowd and they love this turbo.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:04 AM

Awesome. I've heard some bitching about it being laggy compared to similar sized Garretts, but since the car will be primarily a drag car at that point, I don't especially care.

Quick Reply: Jason's reverse Build