miataturbo.net-like debauchery thread (about the ND or something) - Page 127 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #2521
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,997
Total Cats: 409
Default

Damn. GWR's long tube header and full exhaust with their OV tune just got them 41 whp over stock.

Christmas, here we come. hehe
turbofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #2522
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 114
Default

Wonder if Mazda is quick enough to link headers to trans failures and warranty denials?

I could dig driving a 25 year newer car with about as much power as my current bucket...

deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #2523
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 900
Total Cats: 57
Default

Non issue. If you want to baselessly speculate how bad Mazda is gonna **** with ND owners' warranty claims, there are other places on the net to do so.
Dunning Kruger Affect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #2524
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,017
Total Cats: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
Damn. GWR's long tube header and full exhaust with their OV tune just got them 41 whp over stock.

Christmas, here we come. hehe
I just want an answer to the E85 question. I've heard conflicting stuff from two large companies.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #2525
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 266
Total Cats: 9
Default

Does anyone have any objective data on how much 30-40 additional whp impacts performance? 0-60 or 50-70 times? How about subjective opinions? 200 whp seems like, for me at least, the sweet spot for a turbo NA to be pleasantly quick, so I'm curious how the ND with ~170 hp compares.
shooterschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #2526
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 2,951
Total Cats: 213
Default

Keep in mind that a 200 rwhp turbo car is going to have heaps more midrange torque than a 200 rwhp naturally aspirated car. This is probably not relevant on the track, but it will make for a car that feels very different on the street.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:53 PM   #2527
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,610
Total Cats: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezums View Post
Wonder if Mazda is quick enough to link headers to trans failures and warranty denials?

I could dig driving a 25 year newer car with about as much power as my current bucket...
Doubt it,some of the blown trannys have been in C street cars, their only legal power mods are a drop in air filter and cat back (and blue printed rebuilt motor which is rare).
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #2528
Supporting Vendor
 
Blackbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 388
Total Cats: 144
Default

Parts to remove when installing our ND RZ roll bar -





The upshot is that the ND is a very easy car to disassmble and reasemble, good job Mazda!
Attached Thumbnails
miataturbo.net-like debauchery thread (about the ND or something)-80-nd_rz_int_removal_497ff69d6179ee35b30be49c8b9c278e48cfd4ab.jpg  
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #2529
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,762
Total Cats: 749
Default

Blackbird, seriously, when are you going to fix your website?
EO2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #2530
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,997
Total Cats: 409
Default

turbofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #2531
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,138
Total Cats: 28
Default

So what is the better decision, install my mountain of parts on my 01 and make it a track car, and daily my 06, or sell both cars, all parts, and buy an ND? I am so torn... I need to go test drive an ND again.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #2532
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,679
Total Cats: 1,576
Default

Do you need a track car?

All else being equal, any solution which involves getting rid of an NC and gaining an ND sounds like a good one to me. Although if it were my choice, unless there's something seriously wrong with the '01, I'd probably sell the NC and use the money to make the NB into a really nice DD and maybe pick up a '94-'97 to use as a track car if I felt I really needed one.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #2533
Supporting Vendor
 
Good-Win Racing LLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 513
Total Cats: 17
Default

Good-Win Racing is HOME of the MOST POWERFUL Normally Aspirated 2.0 ND....AGAIN!

NEW RECORD 180.5 HP at the wheels, 179 Ft/lbs of TORQUE!


That's about a 200 HP Miata in factory lingo, given that the factory quote horsepower at the motor, and about 20hp is lost getting to the wheels. All you folks who said the ND should be 200 hp....now it can be! Same exact Orange Virus Tune as used for our Shorty header. BIG credit to Mat at Orange Virus for doing such a good tune, made NO tune changes in swap from our shorty header and the tune still worked perfect. Though no tune changes in changing from our shorty I bet we could now add a bit more timing and do even better.

First we made our Shorty Max Power 4-2-1 Header currently available on our site, which is the best drop-in ND header that fits in place of the stock header, yet makes more torque than even the Mazda long tube 4-1 headers in the Global Cup cars. Then we asked the question, what if we took all the lessons and math we perfected from beating a long tube full race header with a shorty, and applied those lessons to making the ULTIMATE Long Tube Race header for ND? Behold the Ultimate in ND Header technology! Hand made merge sections join max length primaries into secondaries, careful calculation and testing of each and every piece and section to get flow and scavenge perfected.

Note that cost is going to be MUCH higher than our shorty, this is a no holds barred setup, no expense sparred in making the ULTIMATE header. It will not be double the cost of our shorty setup, but nearly! It's a ton of hand labor in this design, cannot easily be mass produced like our shorty. Made it with our braces on the car but will not take ANY complaints about it not fitting with other braces, it's a LOT OF PIPE you see here to fit and the fit is tight (those who need drop in easy fitment must look to our shorty). Those on a budget look to our shorty, those who cannot disconnect motor mounts and jack the motor to drop in this BEAST need to look to our shorty!



We hit that 180 result earlier this week but I left the dyno before getting it printed up, and returned to the dyno today to seek to back up the number with another of our mufflers bolted up. Easily backed up our runs from the other day, amazing consistency. Different muffler on the car today, our new twin tip Super Street instead of the single tip Super Street we had on the car earlier in the week. Hit 180.5 earlier in the week, 180.4 today is what I printed though best today was 180.8, that's solid backup and consistency! Here is today overlaid with stock best baseline of this same ND which was 139hp on this same dyno. We are indeed up OVER 40 hp from stock, and as you can see on the graph there are various points where torque gain is over 40 Ft/lbs. Thus, full system gets customers up over 40HP and over 40 Ft/lbs! Notice it is NOT peaky gains, look at the torque line which is up over 30 Ft/lbs EVERYWHERE!



Longtube not on our site yet, be on site for prepay soon...and my hope is to work hard and get a few out the door in July....will see.
Good-Win Racing LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #2534
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,138
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Do you need a track car?

All else being equal, any solution which involves getting rid of an NC and gaining an ND sounds like a good one to me. Although if it were my choice, unless there's something seriously wrong with the '01, I'd probably sell the NC and use the money to make the NB into a really nice DD and maybe pick up a '94-'97 to use as a track car if I felt I really needed one.
No one really "needs" a track car unless they are a pro driver or something, so it is just for fun.

The 01 is a BRG SE, but the paint has gone to crap, so it isn't so special anymore. It only has 71k on it, though.

I have had 2 NC's now and they are light years better as DD's. The engines actually have torque and turning on the AC doesn't murder the engine power at all.

My TDI Jetta should be getting sold back to VW here pretty soon, so if I get rid of that payment, the NC payment AND sell the 01 and all the parts, I could pay for a huge chunk of the ND up front, but then it would be my only car. I have done a few track days, but I wanted to get into it more seriously, hence the track car comment. I live 5 hours from the nearest track, though. I also drive an average of 2k+ miles a month and I work at a powerplant whose cooling tower ruins the paint of any car I take there, so it makes me squeamish to buy a brand-new car and put so many miles on it. I would have to clean it basically every freaking day to keep the paint from being ruined.

The ND does basically match the mpg I get in the Jetta coming to work right now, though. Perhaps I should simplify my life and go back to one car, instead of 3.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #2535
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 5,811
Total Cats: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicharger665 View Post
No one really "needs" a track car
I do . . . more aptly named "crack" car. NAs work great for that though.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #2536
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,997
Total Cats: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Do you need a track car?

All else being equal, any solution which involves getting rid of an NC and gaining an ND sounds like a good one to me. Although if it were my choice, unless there's something seriously wrong with the '01, I'd probably sell the NC and use the money to make the NB into a really nice DD and maybe pick up a '94-'97 to use as a track car if I felt I really needed one.
I recognize your distaste for the NC, but as stated, the NC really is a FAR superior DD (vs. the NB). That being said, the ND is nearly as much better than the NC. It's such a leap forward for DD duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicharger665 View Post
No one really "needs" a track car unless they are a pro driver or something, so it is just for fun.

The 01 is a BRG SE, but the paint has gone to crap, so it isn't so special anymore. It only has 71k on it, though.

I have had 2 NC's now and they are light years better as DD's. The engines actually have torque and turning on the AC doesn't murder the engine power at all.

My TDI Jetta should be getting sold back to VW here pretty soon, so if I get rid of that payment, the NC payment AND sell the 01 and all the parts, I could pay for a huge chunk of the ND up front, but then it would be my only car. I have done a few track days, but I wanted to get into it more seriously, hence the track car comment. I live 5 hours from the nearest track, though. I also drive an average of 2k+ miles a month and I work at a powerplant whose cooling tower ruins the paint of any car I take there, so it makes me squeamish to buy a brand-new car and put so many miles on it. I would have to clean it basically every freaking day to keep the paint from being ruined.

The ND does basically match the mpg I get in the Jetta coming to work right now, though. Perhaps I should simplify my life and go back to one car, instead of 3.
I think it's poor judgment to track a $30k car, particularly if it's financed. It's downright stupid if that's also your only car.

Keep something like the Jetta for a DD, keep the NB as track car. That's my suggestion.

Or if you really want a Miata for a daily, sell the Jetta and NC, buy an ND, and keep tracking the NB.
turbofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #2537
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,679
Total Cats: 1,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicharger665 View Post
I have had 2 NC's now and they are light years better as DD's. The engines actually have torque and turning on the AC doesn't murder the engine power at all.
No doubt, the engines are better. And I'm sure that they're faster around the track as well.

I just never liked the feel of the NC. I don't mean the road manner or the feel of how it handles, I mean the feel of sitting in the car and driving it.

The NB, like the NA, feels like a glove. You don't get into it, you put it on and it becomes an extension of you.

By comparison, sitting in the NC feels like sitting in a bathtub. It feels big and chunky. The door sills come up too high, the dashboard is too large and too high, the controls feel poorly placed. It's like sitting in a Corvette. It conveys the sensation of something big and serious.

It's a purely personal, aesthetic decision, I just don't like the way the NC fits the driver as compared to the earlier cars. I haven't yet driven an ND, so I can't speak intelligently to it, but I'd never pick an NC over an NB as my DD.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #2538
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,997
Total Cats: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
I do . .
As long as you're breathing, anyway.
turbofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #2539
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,138
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
I do . . . more aptly named "crack" car. NAs work great for that though.
Ugh, that is part of the problem. The NB is rough enough to transform into a track car with little to no guilt and I have nearly all the parts to do so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
I recognize your distaste for the NC, but as stated, the NC really is a FAR superior DD (vs. the NB). That being said, the ND is nearly as much better than the NC. It's such a leap forward for DD duty.



I think it's poor judgment to track a $30k car, particularly if it's financed. It's downright stupid if that's also your only car.

Keep something like the Jetta for a DD, keep the NB as track car. That's my suggestion.

Or if you really want a Miata for a daily, sell the Jetta and NC, buy an ND, and keep tracking the NB.
I owned a BRZ for 6 weeks last year and I had bought it with the intent of going back to one car again, but when it came to trying to track it, I just couldn't. I literally drove 5 hours to the track.. and just kept driving because I didn't want to scratch it or wear it out lol.

The Jetta really is a great car, but it just kills me driving it. I have had nothing but Miatas since 2008 and I miss not being in a convertible basically everytime I drive it. If this whole buy-back crap that is happening ends up being a financial positive for me, it is definitely gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
No doubt, the engines are better. And I'm sure that they're faster around the track as well.

I just never liked the feel of the NC. I don't mean the road manner or the feel of how it handles, I mean the feel of sitting in the car and driving it.

The NB, like the NA, feels like a glove. You don't get into it, you put it on and it becomes an extension of you.

By comparison, sitting in the NC feels like sitting in a bathtub. It feels big and chunky. The door sills come up too high, the dashboard is too large and too high, the controls feel poorly placed. It's like sitting in a Corvette. It conveys the sensation of something big and serious.

It's a purely personal, aesthetic decision, I just don't like the way the NC fits the driver as compared to the earlier cars. I haven't yet driven an ND, so I can't speak intelligently to it, but I'd never pick an NC over an NB as my DD.
I completely get it. It feels like a Cadillac version of a Miata. It does feel bigger and chunkier, but the engine is incredibly more enjoyable on the street and it just seems like a better DD to me. I have had 3 NB's and 2 NC's now, so I have had the full spectrum, but the NC's are the best on the street to me. The most fun I had on track was also an NC cup car.

Last edited by Chilicharger665; 05-21-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #2540
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,997
Total Cats: 409
Default

I see. If you straight up prefer driving a convertible over those distances, then I vote you sell the NC and sellback the Jetta, then buy an ND to daily and track the '01.

And buy a membership plan for the local car wash.
turbofan is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.