01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Total Cats: 145
"New" Motor Installed
Well, my 200k mile motor is in.
I hadn't had a chance to work on it all week due to work.
It took me and my buddy about an hour to massage it into place.
We did the motor and tranny as a unit. It had the intake manifold on but the exhaust side off. My only piece of advice to anybody installing a motor with the tranny on... is to remove one of the motor mount brackets. It's just too tough with both brackets on to line it up. I got the intake side in place, and put the nut on. I had the exhaust side mount bolted through the K-member, and just manuevered the motor around until the 3 holes lined up on the bracket.
I think it's gonna take another 3-4 hours to get everything else connected. The PPF is in, but the little things like slave cylinder, shifter, entire exhaust side and all the rest of the ****. I think it'll be another couple of days before I see exactly what this motor is gonna be capable of.
My only real concern (other than the mileage), is that the intake manifold gasket might not seal properly (as I reused it) and I'll have to do that next weekend.
The hope is that this thing will do 8psi for about 5k miles... my "mild build" motor should be done early summer and then I'll have to do this all over again.
On another front, I had my local machine shop take a serious look at my Spec Clutch and we both concluded either #1:The PP is out of whack, or #2:Improper install. So, I reinstalled it, with the PP and flywheel at a different orientation, and I made quadruple sure I torqued everything down properly. It held 8psi no problem before, and one swipe of 400grit took all the glazing off the disc. I will keep all of you up to speed on this one.