I realized I haven't posted this car up on here before, and I feel like this crowd would appreciate these shenanigans.
I'm President of Texas A&M's Society of Automotive Engineers, and one of our student projects (along with Formula Hybrid) is competing in the Grassroots Motorsports $20XX Challenge. So everything you see here is built by (largely unskilled) students for less than $2011.
This car was originally intended for the 2010 Challenge, but some severe logistical issues (read: Not having a shop or tools) led to a delay 'til the '11 Challenge. The car itself was graciously donated by a member on here (I'm sure he'll stand up and identify himself). Here's a picture of the car when we picked it up, along with the car and our old Civic in shop #1.
The car was cleaned up, and we dropped some components in to see if there was enough room. Probably not, but we decided to press forward anyways.
The car then moved to shop (actually a giant lab not meant to be an automotive shop) #2.
The first motor ended up being a bust, so we yanked another motor out of a (probably) healthier car in some guy's driveway.
The engine itself fits rather comfortably in the engine bay, width-wise. It'll probably be poking up through the hood a tad, but that's not really a concern for us.
We added some hardpoints in the transmission tunnel for a mount for the VG30DETT transmission.
The mounts were extended down to the subframe, which was then reinforced.
We picked up some used GC coilovers and possibly blown AGXs that we'll be running. If anyone has some stiffer spring rates that they want to trade, we're open to ideas.
We got an old Cobra racing bucket off CL that didn't fit, but we widened up the tunnel about an inch and shortened the rails a bit.
I cut away the front crash structure and welded in a length of pipe I found lying around, and we hung an eBay intercooler off it.
Amazingly enough, it fit completely within the stock bumper. We'll probably be adding some speed holes in the top half of the bumper to increase airflow across the heat exchangers.
As mandrel bends are simply too baller for this build, we've been experimenting with some unorthodox materials and procedures, and I think we've got a concept that'll work. We've used galvanized fence pipe cut into pie bends, and it matches up with the exhaust ports rather well. Don't worry, we're not going to actually weld the galvanized metal, we soak them in muriatic acid to remove the zinc before we weld them up. But yes, it actually works. We'll see if I can make an entire manifold out of it, but all signs point to "Probably."
We're hollowing out the stock upper intake manifold and relocating the throttle body to the front of the plenum to make it more conducive to our packaging.
We took apart out engine and threw some fresh paint on the block, then reassembled it with the old bearings and some fresh rings. Should be enough to last through the GRM Challenge.
We painted the engine bay with appliance enamel from Walmart the other day, and should be dropping the motor in pretty soon.
That's about where we sit at this point. We've got a lot left to go, but it's nothing compared to how far we've come. You haven't lived until you've convinced a state organization to pay for something like this and give you somewhere to do it.
Let me know if there are any questions about our antics.