Beer of the Day thread (and ci-derp) - Page 113 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #2241
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,249
Total Cats: 101
Default

In deference to the recent topic of apples and such, I feel compelled to share an outstanding new release from Prairie; specifically, their Apple Brandy Barrel Noir. This stuff is truly outstanding! I've got to run back down to the store and score a few more to sit on for awhile.


good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #2242
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 37
Total Cats: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBroken View Post
I was brewing a 5 gallon batch last weekend and my glass-top stove shattered as soon as I added the sparge water for my wort boil. Guess it couldn't handle 50+ pounds on a single burner. Had to make an emergency run to Walmart for a gas burner to finish the brew.
Crarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #2243
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,644
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

An experience which I had last weekend has stuck with me...



I was visiting a friend who lives about an hour and a half north of NYC. I took the Metro North Railroad to the New Hamburg station, and then walked about four miles to his house in Wappingers Falls. On the way, I stopped at a local convenience store to buy beer:





Now, I've posted these images in another thread already, but there's a more serious message to be heard. This little hillbilly convenience store, within which was contained the local post office, held a secret:






No, not the Coors, the Miller Lite, or the Negro Modelo. This little whistle-stop actually had good beer! I'd be lying if I said I remembered the exact six-packs that I bought, but one of them was a gose, one of them was a delicious unfiltered wheat, and one of them was... something delicious. (Hey, I hauled this **** on my back for over two miles. Lay off, ok?)







We have crossed over a singularity of sorts. Good beer has become mainstream.





And I'm ok with this.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #2244
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 389
Total Cats: 5
Default i may be hording all the firestone walkers

i have a soft spot for firestone walker




Twibs415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #2245
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 110
Total Cats: 2
Default

Wow, long time no see. I've put the brakes on drinking for a bit. Treated myself to a Left Hand "Wake Up Dead" Imp Stout on Nitro. I miss having a nitro setup at home.
demoniam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:21 AM   #2246
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,249
Total Cats: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniam View Post

Wow, long time no see. I've put the brakes on drinking for a bit. Treated myself to a Left Hand "Wake Up Dead" Imp Stout on Nitro. I miss having a nitro setup at home.
Welcome back!

I should too, most likely, but where's the fun in that when there's just so much goodness waiting to be sampled.


PS- I swear, you've got to try that Prairie Apple Brandy Barrel Noir. It's simply divine. (post 2241)
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #2247
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 110
Total Cats: 2
Default

I wish Prairie distributed to NC. My room mate has brought back bottles from his work travels.
demoniam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #2248
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 13,359
Total Cats: 807
Default

Anyone else using Tavour? I signed up a few months ago and my liver and wallet are going to form a coalition government to overthrow my brain.

They send you an email (or two, or three) each day with an embellished description of that day's beer offering, and you order by replying to the email with a quantity. 4-5 weeks after your first order, they box everything up, charge your credit card $15, and ship it to you. You can delay that ship date a few weeks to get more beer per shipment, but I tend to accelerate it because I mostly order IPAs. If you don't order anything for a month, they won't charge you anything. They specialize in highly rated, unique, award-winning, small-batch, and/or low/no-distrubtion beers of all flavors. The beer is a little pricey but it's mostly stuff you simply can't find at your local grocer/wine store and everything I've had is very, very good. If you want to constantly try new stuff that's almost certainly excellent without having to go and seek it out, it's great.

They do offer $10 in free beer if you use a sign-up code, and I get $10 in free beer if you use mine. I don't want to be a click-bait *****, but free beer is free beer, so if you PM me, I'll give it to you. They only operate in AZ, CA, CO, MN, NV, NM, OH, OR, and WA for now.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #2249
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,249
Total Cats: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Anyone else using Tavour? I signed up a few months ago and my liver and wallet are going to form a coalition government to overthrow my brain.

They send you an email (or two, or three) each day with an embellished description of that day's beer offering, and you order by replying to the email with a quantity. 4-5 weeks after your first order, they box everything up, charge your credit card $15, and ship it to you. You can delay that ship date a few weeks to get more beer per shipment, but I tend to accelerate it because I mostly order IPAs. If you don't order anything for a month, they won't charge you anything. They specialize in highly rated, unique, award-winning, small-batch, and/or low/no-distrubtion beers of all flavors. The beer is a little pricey but it's mostly stuff you simply can't find at your local grocer/wine store and everything I've had is very, very good. If you want to constantly try new stuff that's almost certainly excellent without having to go and seek it out, it's great.

They do offer $10 in free beer if you use a sign-up code, and I get $10 in free beer if you use mine. I don't want to be a click-bait *****, but free beer is free beer, so if you PM me, I'll give it to you. They only operate in AZ, CA, CO, MN, NV, NM, OH, OR, and WA for now.
Hmmm . . . It sounds intriguing, and they may be a fantastic service, but their website sucks if you're just a Looky Lou. You can't even see their beer selection, let alone their pricing unless you create an account. which I am not inclined to do until I can see what they offer, and how their pricing compares. Obviously, a selection of out-of-the-area and otherwise unavailable beer can be worth a premium, but I need to see that sh*t before I go signing up.
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #2250
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,732
Total Cats: 746
Default



Mmmmm... Porter

(Well eventually, if all goes according to plan)
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #2251
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 13,359
Total Cats: 807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
Hmmm . . . It sounds intriguing, and they may be a fantastic service, but their website sucks if you're just a Looky Lou. You can't even see their beer selection, let alone their pricing unless you create an account. which I am not inclined to do until I can see what they offer, and how their pricing compares. Obviously, a selection of out-of-the-area and otherwise unavailable beer can be worth a premium, but I need to see that sh*t before I go signing up.
Almost certainly a result of legal restrictions placed on alcohol sales or something having to do with exclusive distributor contracts. You can sign up without providing any CC info, and they won't ask until you actually order something.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:08 AM   #2252
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 638
Total Cats: 102
Default



Pretty good, lots of mouth feel and up front flavor, but a very easy finish. I might get a few more and age them
gesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:14 AM   #2253
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,644
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesso View Post
(w00tstout)
Is that this year's release?
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:05 AM   #2254
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 638
Total Cats: 102
Default

Yep, 2016, saw it at whole foods and remembered the recommendation from this thread (from you?) and grabbed one.
gesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #2255
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,249
Total Cats: 101
Default

w00tstout
The 2016 (4.0) came out about 2 weeks ago. I haven't seen it hit the stores here yet, but I will definitely be keeping an eye out.
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #2256
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

Coffee porter brewed by Ryan_G on this forum. This is only his second batch of homebrew ever and he did a commendable job. I'm very fortunate to have received a six pack to sample. Thanks Ryan!
Attached Thumbnails
Beer of the Day thread (and ci-derp)-20160731_123442.jpg  
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #2257
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,644
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

Just throwing this out there: if any of my CA peeps were to pick up a bottle or three of the w00t for me, and stick 'em in the mail, I'd be grateful.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:54 PM   #2258
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
hankclaussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 330
Total Cats: 42
Default

Tried Ballast point Sculpin IPA; not bad but far from my favorite Dogfish Head 90. Interestingly, the clone recipes I found for each have a couple of the same hops; I'm going to have to look in more detail to see why they taste so different to me. The Sculpin seems to have more bittering hops vs aromatic in the 90, though I am easily way off considering the brief review of recipes.
hankclaussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:55 PM   #2259
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,249
Total Cats: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post

Just throwing this out there: if any of my CA peeps were to pick up a bottle or three of the w00t for me, and stick 'em in the mail, I'd be grateful.
Sure Joe, I just found a BevMo near me that has 3 cases of it in stock. I was going to stop by tonight and pick up a bunch, so I'll just add another 3 on a separate receipt for you. If you end up not wanting them, I guess I can always suffer through them.
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:24 PM   #2260
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,644
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
(...)If you end up not wanting them(...)
Not much chance of that happening.

I can shoot you a PayPal immediately, just need to hold of shipping until I figure out where I'm going to be living a few weeks from now.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
99 Miata street/ track/ HPDE 949 xida IL natedawg Cars for sale/trade 9 11-22-2016 09:22 PM
Review: SADFab Delrin Bushing Kit Arca_ex Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 42 08-11-2016 07:54 PM
Budget Build ~250hp review of parts/services/longevitiy/costs the_enginear Build Threads 238 07-16-2016 08:35 AM
TT3/ST3 NASA Rotrex Build - Lucy HomebrewYata Build Threads 28 05-21-2016 05:16 PM
NEW! Coolant reroute kits - including spacer, blanking plate, gaskets and more! whisper Official Miata Turbo Vendors 2 04-06-2016 06:07 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.