Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response.
Beleive it or not, quite a few of the parts I used are from the junkyard. I spent many hours poking around the yards, looking at different cars and measuring various components. I purchased the Miata for $750 a few years ago. It's still using the original 115k mile engine that it came with
. Lots of cleaning and a bit of paint go a long way in making things look clean. The car was originally white. I have completely painted under the hood, all of the sills, and basically anything that I could get to. That said, many of you know how badly most of the '90's white Miata's paint is/was. All of the fabrication was done by myself, with exception of the LSD.
The break down on the car is as follows:
-GReddy manifold replica -- Ebay
-Hybrid IHI Turbo (VJ14 bearing housing, VJ11 hot side, T-bird compressor wheel and housing) -- Junkyard parts and donor Capri XR2 that I purchased for $100
-Homebrew adaptor plate to attach the above two compoents
-Turbo Volvo Intercooler (I forget the actual model of the car, 740? More details on this found in the link below) -- Junkyard
-Turbo Volvo Brass Radiator - Junkyard
-Turbo Volvo Overflow (Since the volvo uses a pressurized overflow bottle, I had to replace the stocker with this) -- Junkyard
-Homebrew bracketry to mount the I/C, radiator, overflow bottle, and VAM
-Homebrew steel I/C piping -- "U-bends" from Ebay
-1st Gen 626/Probe upper T-stat housing (to point the upper hose in the proper direction to align with the upper radiator port) -- Junkyard
-MSM bypass valve - salvaged from a friend who was tossing it.
-'88 Ford Econoline 3" rubber intake tubing (only a portion, the eblow was used to connect the turbo to the VAM) -- Junkyard
-Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch (I got about 100 miles out of it before it began to slip) -- Mazdaspeed Motorsports
-Auxillary external fuel pump from some breed of a VW or Audi -- Junkyard
-230cc BP injectors -- Junkyard
-Cartech RRFPR -- Purchased from a friend
-Homebrew solid engine mounts (welded plate steel between the upper and lower halfs of the mount, essentially bypassing the rubber portion)
-Homebrew downpipe that ends at the firewall (sounds rather awesome).
-Phantom-Grip replica LSD installed into stock diff.
-Powder coated hollow spoke stockers (PC'd them myself) -- Randy Stocker
-Hoosier 225/55/14 tires -- Take off's
-Stock rotors and pads (ugh!)
-KYB AGX struts -- Ebay
-Ford Escort DropZone adjustable coilover springs and perches -- Junkyard
-Removed rear sway bar
-OE front sway bar
-BSP Roll Bar -- Purchased online from somone converting to a Spec Miata
-Homebrew radio delete panel
-Super cheap Boost Gauge (JDM, y0!)-- Ebay
-PPG Aerospace Paint -- Discarded/deemed unusable (this stuff sucks to sand, but is tough as nails. The gray is leftover paint from one of BMW's corporate jets)
-"Properly" De-powered steering rack.
I know I'm missing a thing or two, but this is the general run down of the "big" things. I have a build-progress thread with pictures that details most of the construction process HERE
Another underhood shot nearing the end of the build
Craptacular Phantom-Grip knockoff (that works great)
Intercooler modification to make the Volvo I/C work with the Miata
Overall, I placed 6/62 in this year's challenge, up from 18/54 in the $2005 challenge. With the Megasquirt and a few minor adjustments, I'll be taking the win this year