How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair - Page 781 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #15601
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,649
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_318 View Post
Thanks Perez, things are done very differently in Ohio. There the buyer and seller have to be at the BMV and get **** all sorts of notarized.
?

I lived in Mason, OH (a suburb of Cincinnati) from 2000-2004. While there, I bought a Toyota Celica from a fellow in Kentucky, and a Miata from a guy in Cincinnati. On both occasions, they simply handed me the signed title which I took to the local DMV office.

The only time I've heard of such kerfuffle is when the title has been lost.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_318 View Post
People smoken' that reefer in public, 36 packs of bud light, them gays getten' married, people wearin' all sourts of sandels in pubic, transfers of titles not needin' notarizin'; this California sure is a awfuller strange place
Welcome to civilized society.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #15602
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
?

I lived in Mason, OH (a suburb of Cincinnati) from 2000-2004. While there, I bought a Toyota Celica from a fellow in Kentucky, and a Miata from a guy in Cincinnati. On both occasions, they simply handed me the signed title which I took to the local DMV office.

The only time I've heard of such kerfuffle is when the title has been lost.


Welcome to civilized society.
When I bought my '97 and sold my Dakota I went to the the DMV thats all i rmeber but ive heen drinken so who the **** knows. Thanks for your knowledge though. Hopefully ill have the car soon, if not ill just say **** it and get my car delivered, sell it and buy the bitchen' MSM I really want.

PS

Bud light is sold in 36 packs, who knew?
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #15603
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,649
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_318 View Post
Bud light is sold in 36 packs, who knew?
I tend to avoid that end of the beer aisle.

But coming from Ohio, you'll appreciate that there's no concept whatsoever of a State Store or any of that other Mennonite BS. You can buy all alcoholic beverages, including undiluted distilled spirits, at any grocery store any time of day, any day of the week, 24/7.

And technically you're still supposed to have a prescription for pot, although possession of one ounce or less is a maximum $100 fine and no jail time. (Translation: unless you're selling in an elementary school playground, they don't even bother.)
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #15604
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I tend to avoid that end of the beer aisle.
As do I, however I have friends who are apparently incapable of the responsability of buyig and consuming alcohol, or so the government deems them due to age, and due to their financial position I buy domestic beer.

Nevermore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
But coming from Ohio, you'll appreciate that there's no concept whatsoever of a State Store or any of that other Mennonite BS. You can buy all alcoholic beverages, including undiluted distilled spirits, at any grocery store any time of day, any day of the week, 24/7.

You think it was bad in Ohio, try Kentucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
And technically you're still supposed to have a prescription for pot, although possession of one ounce or less is a maximum $100 fine and no jail time. (Translation: unless you're selling in an elementary school playground, they don't even bother.)
Good. Maybe in 5, 10 or 20 years we would have grown enough sense to legalize it for the military too. Right now that **** will get you kicked out.

Drugs are bad m'kay?
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #15605
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,649
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_318 View Post
You think it was bad in Ohio, try Kentucky!
Never had to try. What's the deal there?



Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_318 View Post
Maybe in 5, 10 or 20 years we would have grown enough sense to legalize it for the military too. Right now that **** will get you kicked out.
Ah, yes. Forgot about that aspect.

Do they actually test Marines for drug usage, or is more of a "if you get caught, you are fucked" sort of thing?
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #15606
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Never had to try. What's the deal there?


Ah, yes. Forgot about that aspect.

Do they actually test Marines for drug usage, or is more of a "if you get caught, you are fucked" sort of thing?
Where I lived it was a dry county for many years, and then they allowed restaurants that could seat more the 100 patrons (IIRC) to serve alcohol, then at that time it was called a moist county.


And yes, we do get very regularly tested for drugs, and if you do get caught its ZERO tolerance. Your fucked in a bad way and your getting a dishonorable discharge more then likely. Most of the Marines in my company are tested every week.
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #15607
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,649
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_318 View Post
Where I lived it was a dry county for many years, and then they allowed restaurants that could seat more the 100 patrons (IIRC) to serve alcohol, then at that time it was called a moist county.
I've never understood the concept of the dry county. At best, you're just forcing intoxicated people to drive longer distances.


Quote:
And yes, we do get very regularly tested for drugs, and if you do get caught its ZERO tolerance. Your fucked in a bad way and your getting a dishonorable discharge more then likely. Most of the Marines in my company are tested every week.
Weekly testing and dishonorable discharge for pot? I honestly had no idea that they were no serious about enforcement.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #15608
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I've never understood the concept of the dry county. At best, you're just forcing intoxicated people to drive longer distances.
This concept flummoxes the devout. Religion reigns like a contagion in my lovey homeland, and with snake-handeling and literal meanings comes the dru county, apparently moonshine counts as something else entirely . Too bad.[quote/]



Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Weekly testing and dishonorable discharge for pot? I honestly had no idea that they were no serious about enforcement.
The Marine Corps is downsizing by X%, hence the serious attitude.

I'm drunk.
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #15609
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_318 View Post
Thanks Perez, things are done very differently in Ohio. There the buyer and seller have to be at the BMV and get **** all sorts of notarized.
That's annoying as hell.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #15610
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London,OH
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_318 View Post
Thanks Perez, things are done very differently in Ohio. There the buyer and seller have to be at the BMV and get **** all sorts of notarized.
you kinda got it right, seller has to have his/her signature notarized, as well as the odometer reading. then when you buy it you take the title to the county clerk argue with them about a smudge on the paper for a few hours, then eventually leave with a new title.
redturbomiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #15611
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 18,765
Total Cats: 324
Default

I'm bout to sign my title for my miata and fedex that **** to NM.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #15612
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

yep, that's all you gotta do in VA: sign title away.

hell, they dont even care about a bill of sale because they go ahead and determine the value of the car themselves to get as much sales tax as possible. So even if your buddy sells you a car at half the current "value," the DMV will look up the price and charge you taxes on the value they determine. I believe you need to be within $2K of the "value" for them to care about what you paid; there might be an in-the-family gift exception to this.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #15613
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,649
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
hell, they dont even care about a bill of sale because they go ahead and determine the value of the car themselves to get as much sales tax as possible.
That's pretty brutal. At least CA didn't get butthurt when I paid $800 for my current car.

CA does, however, have an interesting "gotcha" that I can't recall seeing elsewhere. Let's say that you purchase a vehicle which isn't running, with the intent of just parking it in a barn, restoring it over a period of a year or two, or whatever. In most states, you just title the vehicle but don't have to register it if you're not going to be driving it.

In CA, you have to register is as PNO (planned non-operation) and pay a $19 registration fee. If you fail to do this, then in a year or two when it's time to put the vehicle back on the road, you get to pay penalties!

Very clever of CA, I think. Right up there with Tennessee's tax on the sale of illegal drugs, aka the "crack tax."




Quote:
Originally Posted by redturbomiata View Post
you kinda got it right, seller has to have his/her signature notarized, as well as the odometer reading.
Weird. Having bought two cars and sold one in OH, I don't remember ever having to have anything notarized.

Recent change?
Attached Thumbnails
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-drug%2520stamp.jpg  
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #15614
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

In VA, if the car is sitting on public streets, it needs to remained registered. Otherwise, I dont believe you need to keep up the date with it.

sales tax for cars in VA is only 3%, so it's still not that bad registering a car...but still annoying none-the-less. I remember paying upwards of $300 for taxes/fees when I registered a free car back when I was in college. I wasn't expecting the sales taxes, so I never got the car inspected and ran on expired plates and a rejection inspection decal for 6 months or so before I sold it and recouped my cash.

It was a '89 626 Turbo hatch. I gutted the interior and upped the boost to 15psi. I would regularly beat bro-stangs and make them feel bad about themselves. the plate was "fst aslp". I thought that was clever of me.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #15615
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,649
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
In VA, if the car is sitting on public streets, it needs to remained registered. Otherwise, I dont believe you need to keep up the date with it.
In CA, if the vehicle is parked on a public street then it need to be registered "for real". The Planned Non-Op registration is a different animal entirely, required for vehicles which will NOT be driven, parked on a public street, etc. In other words, it's specifically for barn cars. You don't get a regular registration or a sticker for your license plate, just a piece of paper that says "I have paid the PNO registration for this vehicle."
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #15616
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

it totally makes sense, CA tries to make it as convenient as possible for you to have reasons to move out.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #15617
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,649
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
it totally makes sense, CA tries to make it as convenient as possible for you to have reasons to move out.
They're just trying to level the playing field- don't want to be too unfair to y'all out there on the commie coast.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #15618
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Dont worry. I live off your federal income taxes; literally.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #15619
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,649
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Don't I know it... VA is a "consumer" state, meaning that it takes in more Federal revenue than it provides.

CA is a "payer" state. We pay more in Federal taxes than we receive in benefits.


In fact, VA is rated #10 of all beneficiary states, at a ratio of $1.51 consumed for every $1.00 contributed. CA is #43, receiving only $0.78 in federal benefits for every $1.00 paid.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #15620
Antisaint
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,637
Total Cats: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Don't I know it... VA is a "consumer" state, meaning that it takes in more Federal revenue than it provides.

CA is a "payer" state. We pay more in Federal taxes than we receive in benefits.


In fact, VA is rated #10 of all beneficiary states, at a ratio of $1.51 consumed for every $1.00 contributed. CA is #43, receiving only $0.78 in federal benefits for every $1.00 paid.
Link for this info?

I'm curious to know which states are the "scumbag" states. lol
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uconn Car Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 1 01-23-2016 10:17 PM
Uconn Car Show Sat, April 9th 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 7 04-11-2011 11:00 AM
Uconn Car Club Spring 2010 Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 92 04-12-2010 06:20 PM
anual uconn car show/meet 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 0 02-19-2008 10:03 PM


Tags
brain <3 me, brainy <3s hollywood, cancerous testicles, cuban caveman, furry barnacle, get fragged faeflora, joe p for prez, lyrical joe perez, not hit block, peter falk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 PM.