How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair - Page 950 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #18981
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 231
Default

Hey, anyone have backups of these lost boostedmiata.com pics?

Megasquirt 2 Harness Assembly - Miata Turbo FAQ

I'm looking for the 90-93 one in particular.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #18982
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Pen2_the_penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,688
Total Cats: 93
Default

I ordered my computer parts on the third to build a computer for my cousin from my parents. What the hell gives newegg? How long does it take to "package" a box?!

Holiday schmoliday, you guys should have been prepared for the demand

/rant
Pen2_the_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #18983
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,481
Total Cats: 373
Default

I ordered a Roku from Newegg on the 29th. Delivery is scheduled for the 10th.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #18984
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Pen2_the_penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,688
Total Cats: 93
Default

At least you have a delivery date... I have the status of "packaging"
Pen2_the_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #18985
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 18,768
Total Cats: 324
Default

I pay more and get two day shipping from amazon, you cheap whiners.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #18986
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,664
Total Cats: 1,570
Default

I have never watched Duck Dynasty.

I will admit to having seen a few episodes of Cake Boss, which I assume to be roughly the same thing, only with cake instead of ducks. I only watched the show because I frequently ride past Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, NJ, and I was puzzled by the fact that there was always a line out the door and around the block in front of what otherwise appeared to be a fairly ordinary pastry shop run by annoying, loud-mouthed Jersey Italians whose offspring probably use phrases such as "Swag" and "YOLO" in a non-ironic manner.





Having tasted both cake and ducks, I will admit that I prefer ducks. It's not that cake is bad, it's just that ducks are *reeeeeealy* tasty.

Thus, here is a duck cake, which I assume is not duck-flavored, but merely duck-shaped. This is too bad, since duck-flavored cake would probably be even better than pork-flavored cake, which I have had before.





Not that I'm anywhere near as fanatical about pork as ducks. Except for bacon. But then, if you can make turkey bacon then you can make duck bacon.





(If anyone wants to know what to give me this year for Christmahanakwanzika, duck bacon. You can order it here. In fact, feel free to just order one of every single thing on that page.)
Attached Thumbnails
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-duckcake.jpg   How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-image.jpg   How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-duck-bacon.jpg  
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #18987
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,138
Total Cats: 1,401
Default

I'm just glad the cupcake fad is over.

Carlos will have to rest of his laurels eventually and close up shop...
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #18988
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,011
Total Cats: 42
Default

Duck is amazing, Joe Perez, as well as duck-fat fries.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #18989
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,664
Total Cats: 1,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
I'm just glad the cupcake fad is over.
Did somebody say CUPCAKES?





Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Carlos will have to rest of his laurels eventually and close up shop...
I've sort of wondered about that, now that they've also opened up a number of satellite stores and a huge factory-style kitchen in Lackawana, about a mile south of here.

The bakery itself has been around for a little over a hundred years, and its location (on Washington St. at First Ave, right in the heart of downtown Hoboken) is about the best you could possibly imagine- tons of foot traffic all the time. It's no surprise that it's been so successful over the years, and I expect that it will continue to stay afloat long after the show ends. I'm not sure about all the rest of the businesses, but we shall see.



Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
Duck is amazing, Joe Perez, as well as duck-fat fries.
It is, and they are.

There's an amazing little craft-brew place on 1st St in downtown San Jose, just across the street from Good Karma Vegan Cafe (which, despite being run by hippies, has an amazing beer selection), called Original Gravity. OG also has an amazing beer selection, plus great sausages, PLUS great fries cooked in duck fat. I don't even LIKE french fries, and I couldn't get enough of those.


Ah, I miss that place...
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #18990
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,011
Total Cats: 42
Default

Yeah, the place here also serves also sausages...lots of weird/exotic stuff. And duck fat fries.

It's a German Beer hall. Seems kinda strange, but good beer selection and awesome food.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #18991
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,873
Total Cats: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
You consider this to be poor resolution?
960x1080? Yes poor resolution. Thats about the same resolution as monitors were 15 years ago flipped upright. ~1024x768.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #18992
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,664
Total Cats: 1,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
It's a German Beer hall. Seems kinda strange, but good beer selection and awesome food.
It seems strange to you that a German beer hall serves good beer and awesome sausage?

I'm assuming that you have never been to Germany.



Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
960x1080? Yes poor resolution. Thats about the same resolution as monitors were 15 years ago flipped upright. ~1024x768.
I'm thinking along three different lines here...

A: High resolution graphics is neither a predictor of nor a prerequisite for good gameplay. Galaxian ran at 224x256. Super Mario Bros broke new ground at 256x240. The Virtuality 1000CS was 276x372 per eye. Pitfall! was a paltry 160x192.

All of these games were a thousand times better than Fast and Furious: Showdown running at 2560x1440 on a GTX690.



B: The present-day state of computer monitors is a sad joke. Five years ago, I bought a monitor rated at 1920x1200. Today, the highest-resolution commonly available is 1920x1080. In terms of pixel density, this is a step back to 1996.

Not that it matters, though. Content is king. The monitor is nothing more than a delivery mechanism.



C: You're failing to take into account how the divergence mechanism works in the Rift. The total resolution is still the same 1920x1080 as any other modern monitor, it's just split between the two eyes with (if I recall correctly) somewhere around 60% overlap.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #18993
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,873
Total Cats: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
A: High resolution graphics is neither a predictor of nor a prerequisite for good gameplay. Galaxian ran at 224x256. Super Mario Bros broke new ground at 256x240. The Virtuality 1000CS was 276x372 per eye. Pitfall! was a paltry 160x192.

All of these games were a thousand times better than Fast and Furious: Showdown running at 2560x1440 on a GTX690.



B: The present-day state of computer monitors is a sad joke. Five years ago, I bought a monitor rated at 1920x1200. Today, the highest-resolution commonly available is 1920x1080. In terms of pixel density, this is a step back to 1996.

Not that it matters, though. Content is king. The monitor is nothing more than a delivery mechanism.



C: You're failing to take into account how the divergence mechanism works in the Rift. The total resolution is still the same 1920x1080 as any other modern monitor, it's just split between the two eyes with (if I recall correctly) somewhere around 60% overlap.
A: High resolution is very welcome when reading text and most games now days have text of some sort. Aka names of players and such made for a higher resolution.

B: Indeed, resolution is slacking but it's one of those "good enough" issues just like the 60 hz most monitors run.

C:. I know how the resolution works. They use 1 single screen with total resolution of 1920x1080 split in the middle by a barrier and project 2 separate images on it however they also use magnifying glasses on each eye to balance it out so you see a balanced image instead of having major distance difference between the center and the corners of the screen.

That said because of the magnifying glass it cuts the corners to give more balanced look so you're losing even more resolution.

When looking at a normal screen each eye sees the same 1920x1080 image. When looking at a 2d image on the VR goggles, you see the same 960x1080 image with both eyes however because the images are shrunken you're actually seeing less resolution then advertized.

In games most of the text is 2d therefore name plates, fairly linear stuff is the same on both images. stuff in the background changes a bit so you're seeing some offset in pixels but the end result remains that resolution per eye is low.

This is what the software displays on the screen.

Attached Thumbnails
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-omni-e3-201.jpg  
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #18994
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
I pay more and get two day shipping from amazon, you cheap whiners.
No Amazon Prime? It's worth it. Free 2 day on everything, after a one time yearly payment of $79. Buy 5 or 6 things a year and it has paid for itself.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #18995
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 18,768
Total Cats: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
C: You're failing to take into account how the divergence mechanism works in the Rift. The total resolution is still the same 1920x1080 as any other modern monitor, it's just split between the two eyes with (if I recall correctly) somewhere around 60% overlap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
C:. I know how the resolution works. They use 1 single screen with total resolution of 1920x1080 split in the middle by a barrier and project 2 separate images on it however they also use magnifying glasses on each eye to balance it out so you see a balanced image instead of having major distance difference between the center and the corners of the screen.

That said because of the magnifying glass it cuts the corners to give more balanced look so you're losing even more resolution.

When looking at a normal screen each eye sees the same 1920x1080 image. When looking at a 2d image on the VR goggles, you see the same 960x1080 image with both eyes however because the images are shrunken you're actually seeing less resolution then advertized.
There is 100% overlap on the Rift. Not many VR products use partial overlap. We make one, SA Photonics makes one. I would have to dig to find others. It's hard because while you're seeing "partial overlap" of about 90 degrees horizontal field of view, you're only used to the divider being your nose and anything else looks like a disjointed break in your vision (called "luning").

At ~90 degrees horizontal field of view, you're just approaching that nose break line. Of course that's only between your eyes. Your total horizontal FOV is closer to 180-185 degrees, so that's 135 per eye.

My biggest complaint about the Oculus Rift (forget price point because this is not a fair test against our 35k product) is the optics are junk. At the extremes of the range of vision, you can't make out anything because of the severe distortion. For gaming, where most of your content is front and center, it's fine. For guys using these in military training where they need to spot 2-pixel-size crap on the extremes of the horizon, it wont work.

Of course people willing to pay 35k for an HMD are also willing to complain that a single sub pixel in the entire display is dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
No Amazon Prime? It's worth it. Free 2 day on everything, after a one time yearly payment of $79. Buy 5 or 6 things a year and it has paid for itself.
I have prime. I mean that generally, amazon's prices are good but not the best. plus the prime cost. it's more than newegg but it gets here in 2 days or less (regularly I see orders placed on Sunday show up on Monday).
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #18996
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,664
Total Cats: 1,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
There is 100% overlap on the Rift.
There was on the prototype, which used a 5.6" screen at 1280800. When they switched to a 7" screen at 1920x1080, that changed to a partial-overlap design which approximates the actual properties of human vision, where each eye has a ~40% unocular field.


Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
My biggest complaint about the Oculus Rift (forget price point because this is not a fair test against our 35k product) is the optics are junk. At the extremes of the range of vision, you can't make out anything because of the severe distortion. For gaming, where most of your content is front and center, it's fine. For guys using these in military training where they need to spot 2-pixel-size crap on the extremes of the horizon, it wont work.
Interesting. I must admit that Dactyl Nightmare, running at 4:3, didn't have much in the way of peripheral detail. Back then, it was like VR with horse-blinders on. But I can definitely understand your point here- camera optics are no different. You gotta pay the moneyz if you wants the wide-angle shotsez without the barrel-distortionz & chromatic abberationz.

I've never used any military-grade VR HMDs, just arcade-quality stuff in the 90s. I'm wondering whether my plebian eyes might be more forgiving of these deficiencies. Gotta try me an Oculus.




The rest of this is directed towards everyone EXCEPT Y8s:




Look, no matter what you do, someone is going to bitch about it. I just read an article where the author claims that even 8k (which doesn't exist yet) won't be good enough for immersive VR.

I presume that I am one of the few people in this conversation who has actually experienced arcade-quality VR gaming on numerous occasions (the Virtuality 1000CS in the early to mid 90s) and I can assure you that when I first put on that enormous headset and looked down at the virtual representation of my hand holding the position-tracking gun, the first thing that went through my mind was not "well this sucks. 64 colors and 276x372 per eye isn't nearly enough."

It was "Holy ****, this is the most amazing thing ever!"


If you're making judgements like "this resolution isn't good enough, because the old-tech game that I play on a fixed screen has small text in it" then you are completely missing the point. The software will adjust to fit the hardware.

When Nintendo developed the Wii, videogames relied upon a pair of thumbsticks and ten buttons. But after they created the motion-based paradigm, the game developers adapted to it and learned to create games that took advantage of the new technology while casting off the shackles of the past. As a result of this, Wii Sports is now the best selling videogame of all time, by a factor of MORE THAN DOUBLE the #2 spot (which happens to be the original Super Mario Bros, a game that ran at a resolution of 256x240 in 48 colors.)

And imagine if I'd predicted five years ago that a 3.5" screen running at 480x320 was going to be the most amazing success story of the decade in videogame development? Angry Birds raked in $200 million in 2012 alone, running at a lower resolution than an 80s vintage Macintosh.



TL;DR: STFU, you armchair quarterbacks literally have no idea what you're talking about, and it's starting to **** me off. Wizard hat or not, leave the engineering and software development to the professionals, not a bunch of barking malcontents.

Last edited by Joe Perez; 12-07-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #18997
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,882
Total Cats: 219
Default

I commented about this somewhere else on this forum, i can't remember.

The Rift is awesome. But it sucks. I used the dev version of it, and 720p was not enough.

Basically, what Y8's said.

With that being said, i can't wait until the consumer version comes out and i can buy it.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #18998
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,873
Total Cats: 485
Default

Well my reason for getting the rift isnt because of head tracking. Its because of the 3d. Sure theres 3d monitors but its a different animal because it still feels like u're looking at a screen.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #18999
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,664
Total Cats: 1,570
Default

How did this ill-informed bullshit even make it into the duck-fat thread in the first place? We already have a dedicated thread for ignorant morons to cast aspersions on VR technology that they don't understand and have never experienced first-hand: Perez and y8s nerd up and discuss Virtual Reality


Attached Thumbnails
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-duck.jpg  
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #19000
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,873
Total Cats: 485
Default

I admit it, i havent had the chance to see the hd version, i only got a chance to play w/ the normal version so i'm hoping you guys are correct. Now to join the VR thread which until now i did not know existed. Thank you for linking it.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uconn Car Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 1 01-23-2016 10:17 PM
Uconn Car Show Sat, April 9th 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 7 04-11-2011 11:00 AM
Uconn Car Club Spring 2010 Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 92 04-12-2010 06:20 PM
anual uconn car show/meet 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 0 02-19-2008 10:03 PM


Tags
brain <3 me, brainy <3s hollywood, cancerous testicles, cuban caveman, furry barnacle, get fragged faeflora, joe p for prez, lyrical joe perez, not hit block, peter falk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.