How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair - Page 981 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #19601
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
wow so much hate
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!


Attached Thumbnails
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-1hoclsw.jpg  
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #19602
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

You suggest we like our enemies?

Attached Thumbnails
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-i-5460a6100b8007fe7f9644c5fa5340e8-backstab.jpg  
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #19603
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

Hey check this out! A buddy of mine, Mark, got featured in NASA SpeedNews this month!

http://www.derdizmedia.com/publicati...tqbu&pageid=70
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #19604
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: finger lakes NY
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 17
Default

They're not my enemies. Certainly not the entire nation.

We all know that not everyone in Russia was involved in preparing for the Olympics. But the attitude of some of the posts is that there's some common characteristic of the Russian people that led to the problems. That's the hate that I was referring to. It's like having the attitude that all blacks are violent criminals.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #19605
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

They only fueled their own stereotype, not my problem.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #19606
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 18,765
Total Cats: 324
Default

I got 99 problems

and a lympics aint one.

https://twitter.com/SochiProblems
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #19607
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 2,971
Total Cats: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
They're not my enemies. Certainly not the entire nation.

We all know that not everyone in Russia was involved in preparing for the Olympics. But the attitude of some of the posts is that there's some common characteristic of the Russian people that led to the problems. That's the hate that I was referring to. It's like having the attitude that all blacks are violent criminals.
Communist spotted.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 AM   #19608
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 39
Default

Another reason to hate the Olympics in Russia. Apparently, Sochi had a stray dog problem, so their fix was to go around shooting them in the streets, instead of the humane and sensible thing to do, which is catch them and move them. Luckily a rescue group backed by a billionaire are trying to save as many as they can. Hundreds have claimed to already have been killed.

Rescuers race to save stray dogs at Sochi Olympics DogHeirs | Where Dogs Are Family Keywords: Russia, Sochi Olympics, PovoDog, stray dogs
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #19609
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 255
Total Cats: 5
Default

As much as I love dogs, I would not be so quick to condemn them for deciding to kill stray dogs. It is easy to complain about the killing of man's best friend, but consider the logistics of what you suggest:

the catching of dogs requires dog catchers to be trained and equipped.

Dogs must then be approached and captured. In my industry, family dog attacks constitutes one of the largest sources of osha recordable injuries. This inclueds taking precautions to avoid dogs and equiping people with 2 cans of dog spray(both cans must be on them at all times). I can only imagine the danger of corner stray dogs into corners to capture them.

Dogs will have to be brought together to collections points. you will be bringing territorial feral dogs in close proximity to one another in a high stress situation. you will need to make some arrangments to make sure that they do not attack and kill each other.

in these collection points, you will have to provide food and medical care to the dogs to prevent the spread of communicable diseases.

Suppose you do catch every single dog in sochi, what do you do with them? drive 100 miles down the road and set them free? keep them locked in cages for the rest of their lives? If you attempt to get some of them adopted, what do you do with the ones that are unsuitable? or that no one adopts?

Frankly even if you were to ignore the cost of such a major dog catching operation, I fail to see how the end result is any more "humane"
Davezorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #19610
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

We should walk around and kill the remaining big cats, rhinos, elephants and giraffe as well.

This is OUR planet. GIT.

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #19611
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
They only fueled their own stereotype, not my problem.
opening ceremonies:

Attached Thumbnails
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-hi9hbcr.gif  
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #19612
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezorz View Post
As much as I love dogs, I would not be so quick to condemn them for deciding to kill stray dogs. It is easy to complain about the killing of man's best friend, but consider the logistics of what you suggest:

the catching of dogs requires dog catchers to be trained and equipped.

Dogs must then be approached and captured. In my industry, family dog attacks constitutes one of the largest sources of osha recordable injuries. This inclueds taking precautions to avoid dogs and equiping people with 2 cans of dog spray(both cans must be on them at all times). I can only imagine the danger of corner stray dogs into corners to capture them.

Dogs will have to be brought together to collections points. you will be bringing territorial feral dogs in close proximity to one another in a high stress situation. you will need to make some arrangments to make sure that they do not attack and kill each other.

in these collection points, you will have to provide food and medical care to the dogs to prevent the spread of communicable diseases.

Suppose you do catch every single dog in sochi, what do you do with them? drive 100 miles down the road and set them free? keep them locked in cages for the rest of their lives? If you attempt to get some of them adopted, what do you do with the ones that are unsuitable? or that no one adopts?

Frankly even if you were to ignore the cost of such a major dog catching operation, I fail to see how the end result is any more "humane"
Well, considering the Sochi government is responsible for most of the strays in the first place, since they forced people out of their homes to demolish them and build the Olympic complexes, moving them into small apartment blocks. They had no room for the dogs, so they basically got left behind. So their solution is to just go out and hunt them in the streets. **** taking responsibility and having compassion for animals, just shoot them... right. Good decision. I don't see there ever being a good reason for killing dogs or any animal when there is a non lethal way to move them out of a certain area. That's exactly the kind of thinking that leads humanity to an overall apathetic outlook on many things. I guess we should start hunting homeless people in the streets too. What an inconvenience, not worth the effort to fix the problem correctly.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #19613
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
We should walk around and kill the remaining big cats, rhinos, elephants and giraffe as well.

This is OUR planet. GIT.

... Oh god. Why? "GIT! GIT!
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #19614
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,641
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
**** taking responsibility and having compassion for animals, just shoot them... right. Good decision.
While I understand the humane / compassionate arguments against the mass extermination of the dogs, I can also understand how it is the most practical solution to the problem given the external constraints which apply to this specific situation.

On the plus side, humanitarian conditions in Russia are improving. 60 years ago, they'd have shot the people they forced out of their homes, rather than relocating them into apartment complexes.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #19615
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
While I understand the humane / compassionate arguments against the mass extermination of the dogs, I can also understand how it is the most practical solution to the problem given the external constraints which apply to this specific situation.

On the plus side, humanitarian conditions in Russia are improving. 60 years ago, they'd have shot the people they forced out of their homes, rather than relocating them into apartment complexes.
I can see how it is practical, but practical isn't always the correct approach. Or in this case, practical takes the place of easy/lazy approach. **** all of that work of taking responsibility and collecting the dogs and finding them homes. Just shoot them. Most of them are just family pets that fell victim to relocation of people by their government. I find it pretty pitiful that the best solution they can come up with to fix the problem is to just kill them in the streets. but like you said, at least it was just the dogs shot. They are improving, but still a long way from decency.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #19616
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 255
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Well, considering the Sochi government is responsible for most of the strays in the first place, since they forced people out of their homes to demolish them and build the Olympic complexes, moving them into small apartment blocks. They had no room for the dogs, so they basically got left behind. So their solution is to just go out and hunt them in the streets. **** taking responsibility and having compassion for animals, just shoot them... right. Good decision. I don't see there ever being a good reason for killing dogs or any animal when there is a non lethal way to move them out of a certain area. That's exactly the kind of thinking that leads humanity to an overall apathetic outlook on many things. I guess we should start hunting homeless people in the streets too. What an inconvenience, not worth the effort to fix the problem correctly.
I notice you made no mention of what your end game is for your master dog saving plan. If you are even able to come up the most utopic "non-lethal" solution, remember that it will be staffed by the laziest and dumbest sector of Suchi working Society: Government workers.

You say that thinking leads to an overall apathetic outlook on many things. I disagree, I think your attitude demonstrates a teenagers level of comprehension of serious problems that is the result of spending too much time on facebook pressing the like button. Beleive it or not, having compassion for animals and shooting them are not mutually exclusive.


your right, we should not shoot homeless people, we should put them in Auschwitz for their own good, becasue we care. (see I can use reductio ad absurdum too)
Davezorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #19617
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,641
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezorz View Post
your right, we should not shoot homeless people, we should put them in Auschwitz for their own good, becasue we care. (see I can use reductio ad absurdum too)
While I do partially agree with this, I think that the Auschwitz example is a bit extreme. For one, the overhead costs (in terms of construction, staffing, etc) would be quite high to replicate that sort of environment. Then, of course, you'd have a bunch of bleeding-heart liberal types complaining about due process and whatnot.

And, of course, it's not actually necessary to execute them all- the problem is sufficiently addressed by simply making them go someplace else outside of the public eye. I'd posit that the British practice of Transportation would be a more palatable solution overall.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #19618
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
On the plus side, humanitarian conditions in Russia are improving. 60 years ago, they'd have shot the people they forced out of their homes, rather than relocating them into apartment complexes.
^This. Communism assigns a very different level of importance to all life, even human life, than most Americans understand. Life is a replaceable commodity that is only useful for its ROI. Pets have no ROI for the government.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #19619
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 255
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
While I do partially agree with this, I think that the Auschwitz example is a bit extreme. For one, the overhead costs (in terms of construction, staffing, etc) would be quite high to replicate that sort of environment. Then, of course, you'd have a bunch of bleeding-heart liberal types complaining about due process and whatnot.

And, of course, it's not actually necessary to execute them all- the problem is sufficiently addressed by simply making them go someplace else outside of the public eye. I'd posit that the British practice of Transportation would be a more palatable solution overall.
For extra irony, I probably should have use a gulag as an example. But I seem to remember that in some cases people were released, and thus a **** concentration camp was probably a more accurate example.

In any event, I was going for the overcrowded and filthy image where you enter and never leave. With people dying of starvation an neglect.

The problem with transportation is that in a few generations, you have people like nitrodann soiling up miata turbo forums (j/k buddy <3)
Davezorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #19620
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,641
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezorz View Post
In any event, I was going for the overcrowded and filthy image where you enter and never leave. With people dying of starvation an neglect.
Oh, so you've been to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan.


Quote:
The problem with transportation is that in a few generations, you have people like nitrodann soiling up miata turbo forums (j/k buddy <3)
That's the future's problem.

It's also kind of unfortunate that we are running out of places to stick our undesirable surplus population...
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uconn Car Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 1 01-23-2016 10:17 PM
Uconn Car Show Sat, April 9th 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 7 04-11-2011 11:00 AM
Uconn Car Club Spring 2010 Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 92 04-12-2010 06:20 PM
anual uconn car show/meet 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 0 02-19-2008 10:03 PM


Tags
brain <3 me, brainy <3s hollywood, cancerous testicles, cuban caveman, furry barnacle, get fragged faeflora, joe p for prez, lyrical joe perez, not hit block, peter falk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.