Yet Another Gun Thread - Page 232 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #4621
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Pen2_the_penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,688
Total Cats: 93
Default

people are building ARs and im just sitting here thinking "i should buy another mosin"
Pen2_the_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #4622
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,837
Total Cats: 143
Default

SCORE!!!
I've got the best luck lately... somebody is paying me back for this completely **** deployment I've been on the last 6 months.

A guy just sold me an ARP 20" 6.8spc barrel for their sale price. I'm assuming it's what he paid for it, but this place has been out of these barrels for about 6 months. He's a former pilot and we got to talking about Navy stuff... it all worked out. All I need is a bolt, and to pull my head out of my *** and get a scope. Oh, and some brass. I've got 500 bullets, some 90gr Gold Dots and 130gr Fusions already enroute. Primers and powder I have mo'effin PLENTY OF.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #4623
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 772
Total Cats: 41
Default

Went clay shooting with my buddy yesterday, we had an awesome time. I was using my Maverick 88 pump and a 28" venter barrel with modified choke. He was using a Remington 870 with 26" barrel and modified choke. He had a much easier time hitting clays with my gun, and the only reason I can think of is my secondary bead sight and he didn't have one. After handling both guns yesterday, I re-affirmed that my 88 was a good buy. I like the layout of the controls better, I like the solid pump action better, and I paid less.
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #4624
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,837
Total Cats: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeeder View Post
Went clay shooting with my buddy yesterday, we had an awesome time. I was using my Maverick 88 pump and a 28" venter barrel with modified choke. He was using a Remington 870 with 26" barrel and modified choke. He had a much easier time hitting clays with my gun, and the only reason I can think of is my secondary bead sight and he didn't have one. After handling both guns yesterday, I re-affirmed that my 88 was a good buy. I like the layout of the controls better, I like the solid pump action better, and I paid less.
I think it's a pretty safe statement that the Mav88 could be the best buy in a pump action that there is. The construction is the equal of the Mossy500 and Remmy870, plus the parts interchange with the 500... coupled with the fact that you can find it for about $180 a few times a year on sale makes it a clear winner. The stock fore-end is not intechangeable with the Mossy500, but there are plenty of pics and videos online of guys who have modified their's to fit whatever accessories they want to attach.
Next time I see one for $180, I might not be able to pass it up.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #4625
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,741
Total Cats: 748
Default

I've always maintained that selling my 500 was a mistake. I crave another pump gun like there is no tomorrow, even though I have no real use for it anymore. 12ga for home defense has never been my favorite idea.

Back when I was instructing, I used to bring my old Remington 1100 out to the range with me. Gun was 3rd or 4th hand and ugly as sin. At one point a friend ran it over with his truck and bent the barrel, so I replaced it with a factory 26" Remchoke barrel and added a midbead. It was fun consistently outshooting the Silicon Valley boys at the sporting clays place up in Morgan Hill. Guys with Benelli shotguns worth more than my car getting consistently outshot by my gnarly 1100 with WalMart bulk shells being carried around in a ratty Jansport backpack I love that gun, never going to give it up.
EO2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #4626
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,399
Total Cats: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
12ga for home defense has never been my favorite idea.
I use a rifle for HD for numerous reasons (50' range inside the house being one of them) but I have a definite affinity for shotguns. Part of that is probably because it used to be the only practical legal deer hunting platform in Indiana, but also because I've seen it's effectiveness on people numerous times.
What are your personal reasons for not liking shotguns for HD?
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #4627
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,837
Total Cats: 143
Default

Solved scope crisis for my 6.8spc.
I've been on the 6.8forum for a few weeks now and finally came to the conclusion that a 300yd max-range deer gun doesn't need an $800 scope. I came way down on my list of magnification and list-of-feature, and had kinda settled on just getting a nice 3-9x40.

But, one of the guys on 60forums turned me on to Nitrex. I've heard these things get raved about before but was never in the market. They're Weaver Grand-Slams underneath, made in Japan, great glass, and have been on blowout at Natchez for a year now. They don't get the brand-name recognition as others, and I grabbed the 3-10x50 for $143 shipped... gonna be awesome!
Nitrex TR One 3-10x50mm Rifle Scope Gloss Finish TrexPlex Reticle - Natchez Shooters Supplies TR One 3-10x50mm Rifle Scope Gloss Finish TrexPlex Reticle

And, I discovered CameralandNY's demo page... my future AR10 is probably going to get a higher magnification Vortex FFP scope from them when the time comes. I'll definitely want mil-dot and all the bells and whistles for that gun.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #4628
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 266
Total Cats: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
Solved scope crisis for my 6.8spc.
I've been on the 6.8forum for a few weeks now and finally came to the conclusion that a 300yd max-range deer gun doesn't need an $800 scope. I came way down on my list of magnification and list-of-feature, and had kinda settled on just getting a nice 3-9x40.

But, one of the guys on 60forums turned me on to Nitrex. I've heard these things get raved about before but was never in the market. They're Weaver Grand-Slams underneath, made in Japan, great glass, and have been on blowout at Natchez for a year now. They don't get the brand-name recognition as others, and I grabbed the 3-10x50 for $143 shipped... gonna be awesome!
Nitrex TR One 3-10x50mm Rifle Scope Gloss Finish TrexPlex Reticle - Natchez Shooters Supplies TR One 3-10x50mm Rifle Scope Gloss Finish TrexPlex Reticle

And, I discovered CameralandNY's demo page... my future AR10 is probably going to get a higher magnification Vortex FFP scope from them when the time comes. I'll definitely want mil-dot and all the bells and whistles for that gun.
Sam, Vortex has a pretty good military discount program. Shoot me a PM if you want the gentleman who runs the program's contact info. Cameraland is great to with with too.
shooterschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 AM   #4629
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 772
Total Cats: 41
Default

I must say I had a blast clay shooting way more than paper. Steel is fun at a distance too. Basically any kind of reactive shooting.

I'll be doing clays more often. Definitely felt a difference between 1180fps and 1255fps during clays. The 1255 is too strong for good follow ups right now to me. Maybe I'll get better.
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:54 AM   #4630
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,294
Total Cats: 72
Default

Sorry for not replying to you all sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I owned a metroarms American Classic Commander. It was actually a pretty decent 1911, and I really liked the extended controls. The magazine it ships with is trash, so just throw it out as soon as you take it out of the box. It kept causing all sorts of failure to feed issues. Buy some wilson combat mags FTW.
I ended up selling it just because I sorta got over my 1911 phase.
I'm leaning mostly towards the metroarms. I just HATE the hammer, and haven't looked enough into what it takes to modify it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
I own a Springfield 1911A1, the one where they pulled out the blueprints from 1945 and just started making A1's again, all the way down to the parkerized finish. Its nowhere near as refined as some of the other fancy models I've fired, but it fills the 1911 hole in my collection and matches well with my other WW2 vintage shooters.

I'm not sure they make that specific model anymore because all the 1911 fanboys cried about the fit and finish, weight of trigger pull, A1 front sight and lack of accessory rail. You can find them extraordinarily cheap if you keep your eyes open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I enjoy staring at my SW1911. Fit & finish make me smile. I put some amsoil 2000 on it after my front hub repacking and it feels oohhhhh.
I've been looking at the Springfields and S&W as well, just a little out of the price range I'm shopping in. I will look into the A1 you mentioned though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezorz View Post
I have a RIA that has problems returning to battery. It is fine for a non-competition range gun if you have the 1911 itch, but I consider it unacceptable for a defensive firearm.
Curious why you think it is unacceptable as a defensive firearm.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #4631
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 255
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post


Curious why you think it is unacceptable as a defensive firearm.
As much as I enjoy clearing malfunctions against the clock at the range, I would rather not deal with it when somebody's life hangs in the balance.

if you want to run a 1911 as a carry gun, spend closer to 1000$ than 400$


If you are into Spartan 1911's like the 1911A1, I might also suggest the colt series 70 without firing pin safety. parts fit was not the best I have seen in the price point, but it ran fine. beware of hammer bite (same with any one that lacks a beaver tail)


In a 1911, the hammer should be fitted to the sear. When you purchase them separately, they come oversized so you can have them fitted. Doing it yourself requires files, stones and fixtures. If you attempt it yourself you should test the crap out of it, because it must be fitted well enough that it will not let go no matter how hard you hit it. There is a 1/2 **** notch to catch the hammer in case it lets go, but the sear should only be expected to catch it a handful of times before it completely breaks. I have the tools and fixtures you can borrow if you really want to try it, or you can buy them from brownell's

the easier way is to send it to a competent gunsmith.

Last edited by Davezorz; 11-03-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Davezorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #4632
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,399
Total Cats: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezorz View Post
As much as I enjoy clearing malfunctions against the clock at the range, I would rather not deal with it when somebody's life hangs in the balance.
Totally on-point. I don't completely agree that you need to spend $1000 to have a reliable 1911 anymore though. After I replaced the craptastic magazine that came with my metroarms, I never had a single issue with it.
Keep in mind that most 1911s, regardless of price, will need a periodic tune up to keep running well anyway.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #4633
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,177
Total Cats: 198
Default

I got another 10 22, because these are fun to tinker with. Dicks was running a pre black friday sale, got the model I was looking for (bare bones wood stock carbine because I want to play around with recarving the stock) for $199 and a spare mag. They had no spare mags so I got a $25 gift card, bonus because the mags are only about $13 on midway, etc, not that I need another mag. So I walked back in and used the card on some ammo. They had buy one get one 50% on pistol ammo, stocked up on some 9mm. They had boxes of 22lr too but I don't NEED it so I let them go.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #4634
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 91
Total Cats: 1
Default

I remember a while ago .223 ammo was scarce, now I cant find a box of 22lr to save my life here in Louisiana. I
Lanceam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #4635
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,654
Total Cats: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanceam24 View Post
I remember a while ago .223 ammo was scarce, now I cant find a box of 22lr to save my life here in Louisiana. I
You just have to order online. All the nutters buy up all the 22 in gunshops and walmart but they dont know how to use the magic internet box.

500 Rounds of Bulk .22 LR Ammo by Armscor - 36gr HP

500 rounds- $67
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #4636
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 255
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Totally on-point. I don't completely agree that you need to spend $1000 to have a reliable 1911 anymore though. After I replaced the craptastic magazine that came with my metroarms, I never had a single issue with it.
Keep in mind that most 1911s, regardless of price, will need a periodic tune up to keep running well anyway.

While it is possible to have a reliable, cheap 1911 (as your case proves), I wouldn't take the gamble. I would also not recommend one to someone as their first, or as their only carry gun. Good point on the magazine, the only ones I run are Wilson or Colt.

They do have their place though, I bought mine so I could learn to work on them. I made a few modifications, but it was going to be really expensive to get good at it (especially fitting a barrel).
Davezorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #4637
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,976
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanceam24 View Post
I remember a while ago .223 ammo was scarce, now I cant find a box of 22lr to save my life here in Louisiana. I
My back orders from 2013 are finally starting to get delivered. I'm thinking that reselling for a profit on Gunbroker will be over soon...


Finally shot the M92 with the brace attached a few days ago. Damn, that is a fun "rifle". It went from being accurate to within 5-10 feet at 100 yards to something you could actually shoot at a target. I only shot 3 or 4 mags through it but I'd say it is currently one of my top 5 favorite firearms to shoot at this point.
rmcelwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:14 AM   #4638
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,976
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen2_the_penguin View Post
people are building ARs and im just sitting here thinking "i should buy another mosin"
I put one of those mounting kits that lets you use a long eye relief scope on a Mosin about a year ago and shot it a few times. It just didn't have the same feeling that shooting with the iron sights has. Almost felt like I was cheating. Still, I am thinking about buying a Mosin sniper from AIM or Classic. They are only $550 right now but I cannot figure out if I want to buy one or build a fake one out of one of my existing Mosins. I would like to refinish the stock and have a pretty sniper but I don't know if I want to mess with one of the real re-arsenal snipers or not. I've done my fair share of f'ing up guns but I've never destroyed the value on something like that. I've got 5 or 6 ex-snipers sitting in storage right now but I am definitely not going to touch them.
rmcelwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #4639
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Pen2_the_penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,688
Total Cats: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelwee View Post
I put one of those mounting kits that lets you use a long eye relief scope on a Mosin about a year ago and shot it a few times. It just didn't have the same feeling that shooting with the iron sights has. Almost felt like I was cheating. Still, I am thinking about buying a Mosin sniper from AIM or Classic. They are only $550 right now but I cannot figure out if I want to buy one or build a fake one out of one of my existing Mosins. I would like to refinish the stock and have a pretty sniper but I don't know if I want to mess with one of the real re-arsenal snipers or not. I've done my fair share of f'ing up guns but I've never destroyed the value on something like that. I've got 5 or 6 ex-snipers sitting in storage right now but I am definitely not going to touch them.
Thats why I took my scope off and went back to good ole iron sights, its a lot more challenging
Pen2_the_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #4640
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 772
Total Cats: 41
Default

I have a Mosin with a scope and one without. Each has its purpose and fun factor. At my club we have a 200 yard range with a ~10" plate out at distance. I can hit it with both mosins but its much harder to see it without even the low 2x magnification. Mosins were meant to be fired at long distance in a squad formation, basically a rain of bullets. I have hit the plate 3x in a row with Irons but again, much harder. I have a hard time hitting the plate with anything at 200 yards, especially my AK, but I think the sights are off.
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Tags
trump 2016

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.