10-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Boosting since 1984
Join Date: Sep 2011
Total Cats: 35
New to the forum, not new to turbos!
It's been a while since I had a Miata, so here's my history:
Had a stock '94 in Germany until I sold it in '99.
I then moved to the States and soon helped a friend put an FM II kit in his '99. Now I'm taking over the car from him, so I'm back in the Miata game!
I'm a mechanical Engineer, just made it past 40 and not new to working on cars. Some of the fun ones in my past:
- from 1987 to 1992: 1983 Golf GTI 1.8l
- 1994 to 1999: '94 Miata
- 1995 to 2000: 1984 BMW Alpina B7/1 Turbo. This one used to be my dad's when it was new and I got lucky and bought it from the 3rd owner!
- 1999 to 2006: 1969 Big Block Corvette Convertible
- And now I'm driving a 2010 Audi A4 Station Wagon. Not acceptable! But at least it's a turbo :-)
And that's where we stand:
- It's a '99 (actually could be a '00 - not sure any more).
- Flyin' Miata FM II kit
- It uses the old "Link" piggyback computer
- Has two additional injectors in the intake pipe that are controlled by the "link"
- It has a boost control valve that is also controlled by the "link"
- Ignition timing is controlled by the link- at least in the boost region. Not sure about below 3000rpm.
- SS exhaust from Flyin' Miata: No back-pressure please!
- Last I remember the max boost was dialed in at 195KPa (approx. 14 PSI) on the REALLY GOOD gas you can get in Miami
- No other engine mods - internals are all stock
- Wilwood brakes from Flyin' Miata
- Stronger clutch from Flyin' Miata
And here are my questions:
- I live in PA near Philly- how testy are cops and emissions control people around here when it comes to mods?
- I don't think I can run at 14psi on the pump gas available around here. What's reasonable?
- That link controller seems waaaay out of date. I'd like to install an MSII. With that I can probably get rid of the additional injectors and just install bigger main injectors- right? 44lbs or so sounds reasonable.
- One of the reasons I want to use Megasquirt is that one of my future projects is adding a turbo to an old 3.5l 5 Series BMW and the most successful ones seem to be running MS, so I don't want to learn different systems if I don't have to.
- I've been reading up on the MSII, but there is just so much information, I never know what I have or need. Is there somebody here who did that conversion (FMII with link -> FMII with MSII on a '99 or '00)?
Thanks and I'm looking forward to some MT fun!
Last edited by stefanst; 10-02-2011 at 07:17 PM.