Alright guys-- a great thing happened today... I had installed some new coils on my red car which I haven't driven much since I put Hi-res on it, took it for a spin, and it started acting up just like Saboteur is reporting! It wasn't bad at first, barely noticeable when cold and could be dismissed as maybe needing some fine tuning on the hi-res code, but after the car was fully warm is was nearly undriveable-- I wasn't sure if I would make it back to the shop and then I figured out that if I babied it I 'could' get it to rev on past where it was having a problem, and if I held it high in the revs I could get home that way-- so I cruised home in 2nd and 3rd gear
. When I had tested it on this car before I didn't notice a problem, but I only took a short drive, just enough to see I'd need to do some retuning, and parked it. This time I let it heat up and noticed it clearly... FWIW, I know of other cars running HiRes with no issues, on MSPNP MM9697 cars, so it's not the code.
Put the car on the dyno which I needed to do anyways, and got to work.
Sure enough, right at 2500 it was falling on it's face. This would happen when free-revving with no load, and when loaded up. Felt like a rev limiter like Sab has been describing. RumRumRumRumRum, right at 2500 ish.
I started working through things--
Reflashed the easythermed 10d2 firmware and reloaded my base map, no luck.
Reflashed to base 10d2 firmware and reloaded my base map, no luck.
Reflashed to base 10d2 an tried to get it to fire up without reloading my map and without taking any real time to copy over much more than base ignition settings and req_fuel. Car didn't run good enough to test and I aborted for another test.
Reflashed to base 10d2, and hand-copied every single setting from my old configuration over into the new. No .msq involved. I did export the VE, Spark, AFR Target, and EBC Duty Cycle tables to .vex files and import those, but everything else was a hand copy procedure. Works like a champ.
Reflashed to easythermed 10d2 in case that was creating the problem somehow. Still works like a champ.
No more issues- and it also appears that most of the previously apparent need to retune was another symptom of this .msq corruption/incompatibility between the two codebases. I'm still going through and touching up the tuning on my car just to be safe, as I previously had things a bit richer than I'm going to run them now. I also made a couple more changes to the car-- crazy hot coil packs that should allow me to run whatever boost I care to with no chance of blowout (they've been run, in competition, at 42psi of boost with no blowout when an M*D box couldn't hang), hence I may up the boost a lb or two when I'm done here... Car is sitting on the dyno now, I'll finish tomorrow.
Unplug your coils/ignitors.
Reflash fresh firmware to make sure no leftover corruption is hanging around...
HAND COPY all of your settings. While disconnected from the ECU, open your old .msq and you can use ALT-PRTSCRN to copy each page to memory (yes there are alot of them), then CTRL-V to paste them into a wordpad document. Then use then when creating a new .msq in hi-res.
Save the new .msq!
Plug in your ignitors.
Test! Fine Tune!
Hope this works for you guys like it has me....