A while ago I posted for advice on putting COPS in an '01+. The thread is here: http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t32827/
Today I dragged my increasingly fat *** to the proverbial Ambition Store, where I finally got a round tuit.
Started around noon today and intentionally worked very slow and carefully, vs. my normal approach of rushing and doing sloppy work .......
I removed the strut bar, original two coils, spark plug wires, etc., and test-fit the four new coils (from an Infiniti, as explained in the previous thread.)
Went to hardware store in another car; bought some sheet metal for the mounting device and assorted machine screws, nuts, etc. .... got home and made a cardboard mock-up of the mounting device.
Hence the first miracle of the project: my measurements tend to be off by a little, and this time my drilling was also off by a little in the opposite direction, resulting in a friggin' perfect hole location! It's amazing!!
Here's the first picture from the driver's side (pardon the quality, it's from my BlackBerry 8330):
The mounting device is not transparent; what you see on top is just a reflection.
The four bolts (M6, 1.00 pitch, 2") use the existing four holes from the stock coils. I did not expect that to align; figured I'd have to rig up new mounting locations .... that was miracle two.
You can see that the stock coil locations are offset to the driver's side. I was concerned about this, but it all went together firmly, so I think it'll be okay.
Here's the view from the passenger's side:
The coils were all facing the same direction for the first test-fit, but I had to turn some of them to get the connectors to fit. I might be able to realign them all if I Dremel off the Infiniti mounting tabs. That's a project for another day. For now I'm just glad it all fits together. Meanwhile I put some double-faced tape under the mounting device to serve as a cushion.
Next up was the wiring. It's all quite ugly, and some other time I will attempt to make it look nice. I used weatherpacks for the main connector after cutting off the stock connectors. I have a second set of weatherpacks that I'll use for reconnecting the stock system (yet another project for some other time.)
Including a couple of breaks, I wasn't done until 9pm. I did the work in my parent's garage rather than my driveway at home. Problem is, only old people live here, and they'd freak out if I start testing things (engine on) after dark. Car is loud thanks to TurboTim Absurdflow.
So the bottom line is I can't test all this work until tomorrow morning. The suspense is killing me!! I'll triple-check the wiring, fire 'er up, and if all goes well then I'll try expanding the spark plug gap (currently a minuscule .020) and hopes it no longer misfires/resets under high boost at something more reasonable like .030.