Update: I have been able to get the computer to talk to the MSPNP2, but the connection isn't always repeatable. I'll have the serial to usb adapter connected to a COM in the device manage and set in Tunerstudio MS and I spent an hour on every COM port and usb port plus wiggling all the connections but nothing, then almost magically it will start working on the same exact settings I've tried before.
I think I may have finally got it to connect when I changed the baud rate in the device manager to 9600 then back to 115200. When I get frustrated I usually pull the serial and jump pins #2 & 3 of the serial adapter and connect to the current com port in the mini-terminal of tunerstudio MS and see if I'm getting loop-thru connection and I know that the serial adapter drivers are indeed working properly.
Once tunerstudio connects it has been easy-peasy so far, when I finally got the ECU to connect to the computer I noticed why the car was running so crappy, the tune loaded in the ECU I got from my buddy was in Alpha-N mode, I switched it back to the base default speed density settings it started running a million times better.
I got the fixed timing all squared away, needed -2.20 degrees of offset trigger angle to get the timing light to hit dead on 10 degrees with fixed timing selected.
The MTX-L wideband sensor/gauge was reading about 0.5 richer than the Tunerstudio was showing. I was wondering if it was a bad ground on my wideband so I went ahead and ran a ground directly from the black and white wires of the MTX-L to the spot where ECU ground wires connect on the block just under the throttle body on my '95. The numbers were slightly closer, but still showing about 0.3-4 richer on the gauge. I initially calibrated the AFR table in tunerstudio for the wideband using the MTX-L's default output which is 0v=7.35AFR & 5V=22.39AFR, but I messed around and set the AFR table to 0v=7.35AFR & 5v=21.6AFR and the both gauges seem to match up within 0.1AFR now.
After I got the wideband squared away I started VE Analyze Live and watched the idle AFR get down to 14.0ish AFR in a couple of minutes. My idle was a little low so I adjusted it up to 900RPM with the idle screw. Drove it home about 10 miles from my workspace and hit as many cells as I could for VE Live. My laptop will lose sync while driving sometimes, but might be because I don't have a solid state drive in it yet and it's wigging out. So far so good, I'm going to try installing the 650cc EV14 injectors next weekend, changing the req_fuel accordingly and let VE Analyze Live work it's magic again. If that goes well it might be on to the turbo the weekend after that.