: I'm very new to MS and currently in over my head. I'm very much interested in doing this right but can't seem to get my bearings about me. Here's some background.
I bought a used MS2 DIYPNP (I'm told it came from this group buy back in 2010):
99-00, 01-05 and MSM Megasquirt MS2 DIYPNP "Enhanced" group buy
I don't think it matters at this stage, but I'm running stock ignition systems (except 32-2 trigger wheel), GM IAT, and MAP sensor. Also, the i turn the key to on, the fuel pump runs. I've sine removed the Fuel Pump relay.
- With MS installed in the car (coils unplugged), I cannot get TunerStudio to "Detect" the controller.
- I have this issue when creating a new project or going to "Communication Settings" and testing the connection.
- I tried two Serial-to-USB adapters: Insignia (Best buy) and Gigaware (RadioShack) and both have the same issues (I've also tried to detect the controller with the key in various positions). I've since returned the adapters and purchased the DIYAutoTune (will arrive next week).
- I've tried installing/uninstalling both Serial's current drivers. I also tried installing the FTDI Drivers, and usb_drivers_Windows but still no luck. I also played around with
- I've tried different ports, adjusting COM settings in TS and on my PC, and have adjusted my Baud to 115200.
- All that said, my computer (Windows 10) does acknowledge the adapters.
(I haven't run PortChecker
yet, but I plan to in the next 24 hours if it matters. I have run FTDI's COMPort_Assignment Utility
to no avail. It doesn't see any FTDI devices).
1. Assuming it's MS is built correctly, obviously one possibility is my Serial-to-USB isn't communicating properly (I don't know if either example above had a FTDI chip sets). But if that's not the case: are these symptoms of a MS that hasn't had its Firmware installed yet? What other items should I check?
2. Does anyone know if the MSs in group-buy linked to above came with Firmware installed?
3. To make my setup as clean as possible, my goal is to install the newest firmware, (MS2/Extra 3.4.2 release Firmware) and write a tune from scratch/research. I plan to run "ms2loader_win32.exe" contained in the firmware Zip file. If this is correct, do I still need to Jumper the MS if I'm only updating the firmware.
Does the Reverant - MS2 DIYPNP run mspnp2.ini
4. I feel like there's a ton of documentation floating around. Much of it seems outdated, not applicable, or even redundant. Can anyone recommend the critical documents I should start reading, for having a pre-built DIYPNP? (NOTE: I know there're a stickies on Miataturbo.net) I've already read through
Thanks in advance. I'm sure these questions have been answered before, but I'm really spinning my wheels here :-\. I (naively) pictured this step of my build to be about tuning, not ECU setup. I was spoiled with tuning my stock Evo IX I suppose :-\.