It's been awhile since I've posted any updates on my car, but there hasn't been anything new up until last weekend. I've just been driving the wheels off of it and enjoying the heck out of this little car. Here's my last post: acceleration run at 5psi
As much as I wanted to stay at 5psi and the Greddy/Vortech FMU forever, the lure of more power is a strong one, and I decided to address the next item with my car: more fuel and better fuel control.
My first step was getting my hands on and installing a Walbro 190 high pressure. I got the kit from lightning motorsports.
After seeing some pretty rusty deck panels, I was happy to find that this one was in good condition.
For those that haven't seen it, here's what the gas tank and pump assembly mount look like.
Ahh, so that's what the inside of a Miata gas tank looks like...
Here's a shot of the fuel pump assembly with the new Walbro in place. Perfect fit! The stock pump is on the right.
After completing the pump, my next task was to get those teeny stock injectors out of there.
Stock rail with injectors
Since I planned on taking the Greddy FMU out of the picture, I needed a good rising rate fuel pressure regulator. I went with this one from Aeromotive, which is made for Hondas but bolts to the stock Miatafuel rail. The pics show the fuel pressure gauge mounted in the FPR gauge port, but that setup wouldn't fit. I ended up running the gauge in a separate location.
Here's a shot of the back of both FPRs. The Aeromotive unit uses an o-ring instead of the protruding piece that the stock FPR uses.
For injectors, I found a good set of Supra 430cc black tops. I had to wire in resistors, but that was no biggie. I replaced the o-rings and rubber isolators while I was in there.
Pic of the FPR installed.
Another FPR pic, and you can see where I installed the fuel pressure gauge.
Lastly, I redid my gauge panel and installed a leftover autometer blinky A/F gauge from an old car (until I get a wideband) and Knocksense.
I also installed an old Apexi S-AFC that I had from years back. This is where I mount it if I need quick access. Otherwise, it lives in the glovebox. I used a pressure sensor since the Miata does not have a true throttle position sensor. It's working great!
More to come, as I've been busy with work. I plan on turning up the horsepower **** and seeing what this thing can do!
Thanks for reading,