Miata cooling system thread - Page 18 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #341
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 5,845
Total Cats: 559
Default

Flat or gentle curves is best for aerodynamic drag and downforce. You add louvers to let cooling air escape where needed -- use sparingly. Unfortunately, we usually have to add drag or give up some downforce to cool the car. Note that an air outlet on top of the hood can add downforce while improving cooling -- but still adds drag -- and you have to deal with rain. No free lunches.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #342
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,369
Total Cats: 77
Default

How's the MSM rad different than the regular?

Thicker?
Tighter fin pitch?
Tighter tube pitch?
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #343
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 2,030
Total Cats: 116
Default

I don't have a MSM but I do have an NB with a mishimoto radiator and fans. Even after doing what I thought was a pretty good job of ducting and retaining factory under tray I am still seeing higher temps at cruise than I'd like. I might be taking off my front end this weekend and if so I'll take pics.
Chiburbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #344
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,048
Total Cats: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC SBB View Post
How's the MSM rad different than the regular?

Thicker?
Tighter fin pitch?
Tighter tube pitch?
Yes
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #345
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiburbian View Post
I don't have a MSM but I do have an NB with a mishimoto radiator and fans. Even after doing what I thought was a pretty good job of ducting and retaining factory under tray I am still seeing higher temps at cruise than I'd like. I might be taking off my front end this weekend and if so I'll take pics.
The problem you have is those crap Mishimoto fans. They're terrible.
Keith@FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #346
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 2,030
Total Cats: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith@FM View Post
The problem you have is those crap Mishimoto fans. They're terrible.
I agree. I had no idea how bad they would be. I just don't have the $$ for your setup Keith.

That said, I still don't understand how my car could be as hot as it is under light throttle at 60mph. I don't want to turn this into a troubleshooting thread for me but there really is nowhere else for air to go but into my radiator.

Edit to fix LOLs.

Last edited by Chiburbian; 06-05-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Chiburbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #347
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7,237
Total Cats: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiburbian View Post
I agree. I had no idea how bad they would be. I just don't have the $$ for your setup Jeremy.

That said, I still don't understand how my car could be as hot as it is under light throttle at 60mph. I don't want to turn this into a troubleshooting thread for me but there really is nowhere else for air to go but into my radiator.
You mean besides around your entire car.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #348
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 77
Default

Jeremy doesn't post under the name "Keith"

I'd start by going back to stock fans.
Keith@FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #349
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PHX, Arizona
Posts: 227
Total Cats: 13
Default

Chiburbian, Message Maduh, he also got mishimoto rad and fans, had massive overheating issues, kept the rad, went back to stock fans, big improvement.
humming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #350
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,369
Total Cats: 77
Default

Oveheating at low speeds is a sure sign of crappy fans.
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #351
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,826
Total Cats: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
The next time I get serious with heat exchangers, the A/C condenser is going in the rear of the vehicle, and the Intercooler and Radiator are getting V-mounted with proper ducting and at least 1 fan on each heat exchanger.
Not sure why you'd want a fan on the intercooler? I know with my car, any time I'd be seeing load enough to be putting the intercooler to work, there would be airflow enough to make the intercooler work. The intercooler doesn't really do anything when idling in traffic.

Unless you're just referring to the rad and ac condenser.
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #352
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,160
Total Cats: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Not sure why you'd want a fan on the intercooler? I know with my car, any time I'd be seeing load enough to be putting the intercooler to work, there would be airflow enough to make the intercooler work. The intercooler doesn't really do anything when idling in traffic.

Unless you're just referring to the rad and ac condenser.
I'd have one so I can cool the intercooler down while standing still. Example, make a pass at the drag strip, then get in staging lanes and sit. Car only gets airflow when I'm wide open, then I nail the brakes and it can't get air till I do it again. Also the SC seems to dump more heat at idle into the IC then the either of the turbos I ran ever did.

But yeah I'd have at least 1 fan on every heat exchanger because I drag race the car.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #353
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,826
Total Cats: 224
Default

Ah, ok, that makes sense then to avoid heatsoak in that use case.
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #354
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,869
Total Cats: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
I'd have one so I can cool the intercooler down while standing still. Example, make a pass at the drag strip, then get in staging lanes and sit. Car only gets airflow when I'm wide open, then I nail the brakes and it can't get air till I do it again. Also the SC seems to dump more heat at idle into the IC then the either of the turbos I ran ever did.

But yeah I'd have at least 1 fan on every heat exchanger because I drag race the car.
With the bypass valve open, the blower just compresses the air charge over and over and over. This heat soaks the intercooler hard. If you log IATs I bet you'll see a 100F spike as you go WOT after an extended highway cruise (similar conditions relative to the supercharger).
vehicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #355
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,160
Total Cats: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicular View Post
With the bypass valve open, the blower just compresses the air charge over and over and over. This heat soaks the intercooler hard. If you log IATs I bet you'll see a 100F spike as you go WOT after an extended highway cruise (similar conditions relative to the supercharger).
My AITs are sort of ok now that I have a huge 20x12x3 bar/plate IC. ~10-15 over ambient at cruise, but they climb under load more than I like, about 50F increase in 7 seconds. This IC was fine with a turbo, but is struggling with the heat from the SC.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #356
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 77
Default

FYI, we played with IC sprayers back in 2003. When the car came off the track at Willow Springs, the intercooler was cold to the touch. Quite effective.

That car didn't overheat, either. About 350 hp (radical at the time) with our best rad of the era (probably equivalent to the typical Koyo of today), a huge oil cooler out of an air-cooled Porsche mounted where a headlight should be, a vented hood (prototype for the old FM unit), nose ducting with airdam and splitter, an early reroute, two big Spal fans, no AC and the IC sprayer. Loads of airflow through the heat exchangers.
Keith@FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #357
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Portland (left coast)
Posts: 214
Total Cats: 2
Default

Sealing up the top of the radiator made a big difference for my MSM. Does anyone have any tricks for getting the sides of the radiator sealed up better? Such a pain to get to. I am thinking about cutting some sort of plastic to slide down the sides since metal tape won't stay put in there.
tazswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #358
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PHX, Arizona
Posts: 227
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazswing View Post
Sealing up the top of the radiator made a big difference for my MSM. Does anyone have any tricks for getting the sides of the radiator sealed up better? Such a pain to get to. I am thinking about cutting some sort of plastic to slide down the sides since metal tape won't stay put in there.
Next time I pull my radiator I'm designing something for this. I'll post it in my build thread so keep an eye out.
humming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #359
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,048
Total Cats: 811
Default

Agreed. I've never found an adhesive product that would stick to an aluminum radiator at track temps. Of course I've not tried very hard, but if someone has a link to something that works, I'd buy a roll.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #360
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 15,905
Total Cats: 1,093
Default

<p>Paging <span>curly. He has some tape on his radiator that looks like its been there forever.</span></p>
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepping my '95 for track asmasm Build Threads 82 05-26-2016 04:37 PM
1997 Miata Misty_Miata pineda92 Meet and Greet 4 09-20-2015 09:22 PM
Mystery Engine Trouble. Halp, mt.net! vehicular General Miata Chat 12 09-14-2015 03:17 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 08:23 AM
Drummersrs old Miata, new to me foshizzle Meet and Greet 9 09-08-2015 12:26 PM


Tags
crossflow, overheat, reroute, spec miata wisdom, supermiata

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 PM.