Build thread? Sure.
This project grew from a desire to have a pared down, minimalist street Miata with very high performance that would also be fully race prepped and able to do w2w. We threw around many concept ideas, including simply unbolting everything possible (including all body panels), welding a hoop in and calling it good. While quick and basic, it would have been fugly and have crap aero. So we gravitated towards an EP look with smooth external shapes, low with big fenders. To that we add another 200whp and a whole of aero.
Originally intended as a home for the 2.0L high (really high) compression ITB motor we built, we decided to drop the CR, run milder cams and just transplant the Jackson Racing Rotrex kit with a bigger C30-94 blower. That's an easy 400whp on E85 with our whammy engine.
Power plans settled, I wanted a simple look externally. The cage is a clean and simple design. Body work consists of 30mm wider AK Kevlar/FRP fenders and 30mm wider rear qtr panels. Lightyear dry carbon hood and doors. Dry carbon trunk lid made by a friend. APR dual element GT-1000 wing, proprietary splitter, front diffuser and dive planes. We think the car will weigh about 1800lbs dry.
I haven't yet decided on all the cooling solutions but the current plan is to have the radiator, diff and trans coolers in the back. Front will just be the I/C, O/C and little Rotrex O/C. I have an idea for an I/C mount and aero integration I have been kicking around for a while that we might do.
For starters we will run an AZ-6 from an MSM. At some point, we hope to have our close ratio AZ-6 dog box conversion in it. Dampers will be Gen 2 Xida singles for starters, semi active doubles later down the road as development progresses. 3.9 OS Giken with our proprietary tune. 11.75 Wilwood Dynalite front and 10.75 Wilwood Powerlite 2 pot rear brakes. We will add our Keisler drop spindles when we can get a set of custom length Xidas built for them.
Rolling stock will be 15x10 6UL's of course. Street rubber will be hand grooved 245/40/15 RC-1's. Track rubber will be either uncut 245 RC-1's or 245/580R15 Hoosiers. We still have a pile of sticker R80's I won back from my NASA days. Gotta use them up!
The plan for the dash layout is simple. A sheet of carbon or aluminum with an IQ3. Small center dash with toggle starter, fire, ABS and master switch.
Haven't decided on seats yet. I'd like to be able to remove the head restraints for street so I'm thinking some custom aluminum seats with bolt on head restraints. It's exciting to be finally working in this project after seeing it only in my head for the last 4 years. We hope to have it running as a mule by late Spring, dial it in over the summer and debut art MRLS in the fall.
One key project goal is the ability to give ride in this thing. We have helmets with bluetooth voice activated intercom, HNRS for passengers, arm restraints, grab handles, two position footrest and 6 points. The last bit would be streaming in car video in the garage at MRLS. Should be a e ticket ride
Cage was built for us by TC Design
in Campbell, CA
Note the two intersections sitting low and one behind the other to reduce aero drag.
Firewall junction from underneath
Door jamb area significantly boxed
Shock mount reinforcements. This tube is also tied into the firewall and cowl to help box the entire area.
The tube from the main hoop to dash bar can be quickly unbolted with these cool QR's. They transfer all bending, twisting and tension loads as if it was a solid tube. To avoid stress concentrations, they are a slip fit into the tubes they connect.