AEM F/IC 1.6 Miata Installation Guide - Sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 13

Originally Posted by G. Jay
Dustin, using your recommendations plus a couple ad-libs I have the FIC-6 working well on my STS 1.6 Miata now. I used the WOT signal as a sort of binary TPS for fuel adjustment using the beta 3.06 version software. I'm getting really good lambda control now. I've got a roughed in spark curve and the improvement in low to midrange torque is quite noticable.

The only issue I've not solved yet is the long crank time. It starts reliably but it consistantly seems to take ~5 seconds of cranking time. Did you have any similar issue?
I experienced longer crank with the AEM EMS, but I don't remember it happening with the f/ic though. I know with the EMS it is because the miata doesn't have a high enough resolution crank wheel, so it takes longer for it to start.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Total Cats: 0

subscribed. Give more infos on general tuning and usage of the FIC 6 on a 1.6L
Old 04-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Newb

I think Dustin covered it pretty well. Mine is a special case because by the competition rules I run to I cannot add a TPS or use the MAP sensor. If you want to use this I recommend buying the Boomslang splice harness if you want to avoid modifying your harness. Also buy a wide band meter to install in the car and feed an analog signal to the FIC. I installed the gauge in the glovebox. Then read all the instructions and get to work.

It should be noted that none of this is a good idea unless you have a working understanding of engines, fuel systems and tuning. If not take the car to a tuner shop and discuss your needs with them.

Last edited by G. Jay; 04-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM

I was wondering if the FIC needs a variable tps signal to operate properly. I already have a AEM wideband kit in my car as I'm also greddy turbocharged. Will keep my progress posted with the FIC in my car.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Newb

Originally Posted by mr.na
I was wondering if the FIC needs a variable tps signal to operate properly. I already have a AEM wideband kit in my car as I'm also greddy turbocharged. Will keep my progress posted with the FIC in my car.
I think Dustin has done the turbo with the FIC. I've not really considered how it would be done best. I'm using the WOT signal as a binary TPS and the operation of the engine is very smooth. The ECU is ignoring the AFM at WOT anyway (on my 1.6) so having a discrete load toggle and adjustment in the FIC is working out perfectly. I'm using the V3.06 Beta version that provides a TPS based fuel map.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:20 AM

thanks, I appreciate the answer. So I need to download the 3.06V beta version and 3.81 firmware.

Last edited by mr.na; 04-07-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Newb

thanks, I appreciate the answer. So I need to download the 3.06V beta version and 3.81 firmware.
Maybe not in your case, only if you want to use the TPS input rather than the MAP sensor as the load input into the fuel map. For a turbo I expect you need to use the MAP sensor since you'll be running the manifold pressure above atmospheric.

It's kind of a tough spot because in theory you need the MAP input but for smooth fueling transition to the WOT table in the ECU you need the WOT signal as well. I'm not clear on whether you can use both the MAP based and the TPS base fuel maps in 3.06. I don't think so. If so that is definitely your best option.

I think Dustin indicated that he went away from the FIC and to a stand-alone on his 1.6 and I think there may have been good reasons.

There's probably a good way to do this that involves installing a TPS from an automatic car, replacing the AFM signal with one created in the FIC using the MAP or TPS signal, disconnecting the WOT signal from the ECU and using the TPS for the enrichment fueling FIC feature.

Dustin should really weigh in here. He probably has this all figured out since he's actually done a turbo.

Last edited by G. Jay; 04-07-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Newb

question ?

regarding this ..

2M - TPS Sensor - An interesting thing the TPS sensor. It was present on the Automatic 1.6L miata's, but not on the 5spd miata's of the same era. You can actually get the sensor from the automatic miata's and install them into your 5spd, and then run a wire to the F/IC. This wire connects to the "TPS +" wire on the F/IC (Tap).

i just checked on my car ... i have a tps ...

my car .. 1993 miata original 5 speed ..

is it because its a 93 or ...

so i guess i should just tap my TPS wire of my fic to the 2m pin right ??
Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by M@NU
question ?

regarding this ..

2M - TPS Sensor - An interesting thing the TPS sensor. It was present on the Automatic 1.6L miata's, but not on the 5spd miata's of the same era. You can actually get the sensor from the automatic miata's and install them into your 5spd, and then run a wire to the F/IC. This wire connects to the "TPS +" wire on the F/IC (Tap).

i just checked on my car ... i have a tps ...

my car .. 1993 miata original 5 speed ..

is it because its a 93 or ...

so i guess i should just tap my TPS wire of my fic to the 2m pin right ??
Yes you have a TPS but it is variable like most TPS's. It basically has two three modes - off, on, and max. The automatic TPS like most other TPS's found on other cars is variable and it uses an increasing/decreasing voltage to measure how open the throttle plate is.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Newb

but since its only a tap and not an intercept ... will my stock ecu support the tps from an automatic miata?? or i have to use the oem tps anyway ??
Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Elite Member

but since its only a tap and not an intercept ... will my stock ecu support the tps from an automatic miata?? or i have to use the oem tps anyway ??
I haven't tried the Automatic TPS sensor on a stock 5spd miata ECU, but I imagine it would work. You'd have to try it out and let us know
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Newb

did u ever run ur miata on f/ic ?? wich tps did u use ??
Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Elite Member

did u ever run ur miata on f/ic ?? wich tps did u use ??
Yes I ran my miata on the f/ic no problem with the 5spd TPS. I even eliminated my MAF sensor with it.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Newb

¸omg how did u managed that???????
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM

He should tune with tps position instead of maf voltage.

You joined the FIC club, manu? Welcome. I think on this one we should join together to get as much infos as possible to get our setups running as reliable as possible. Our setups looks alike I think...

I will get a variable tps shortly so I'll try both.

My most interesting question is concerning the O2 clamping. Because I have a greddy turbo kit that should get the OEM O2 sensor coming to his maximum voltage pretty quickly, I will clamp it just before the ECU sees max voltage before boost but is there any way to send my AEM wideband O2 input in the FIC to record the voltage then tune with it instead??
Old 04-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

¸omg how did u managed that???????
No you don't tune with the TPS information, you tune with the MAP sensor that is built into the f/ic. Here is the link on creating a MAF simluation with the FIC. It works very well.
http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php?topic=23732.0
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

He should tune with tps position instead of maf voltage.

You joined the FIC club, manu? Welcome. I think on this one we should join together to get as much infos as possible to get our setups running as reliable as possible. Our setups looks alike I think...

I will get a variable tps shortly so I'll try both.

My most interesting question is concerning the O2 clamping. Because I have a greddy turbo kit that should get the OEM O2 sensor coming to his maximum voltage pretty quickly, I will clamp it just before the ECU sees max voltage before boost but is there any way to send my AEM wideband O2 input in the FIC to record the voltage then tune with it instead??
You don't need a variable TPS with the f/ic. You really won't see any benefit at all. And yes, you can hook your wideband o2 sensor into the f/ic no problem and use it to to tune.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Newb

---- yeah thanks man

should i wire my wideband to the ''021'' wire of the fic ? or i guess the fic as a special input for his own wideband
Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Elite Member

---- yeah thanks man

should i wire my wideband to the ''021'' wire of the fic ? or i guess the fic as a special input for his own wideband
I don't remember. The f/iC came with instructions on wiring their wideband into it.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Newb

yaya dont worry ill be reading tonigh when i get home was just asking if u remember

thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: AEM F/IC 1.6 Miata Installation Guide - Sticky?