09-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Total Cats: 21
Stripped clutch slave bell housing threads.
[amateur mechanic alert on]
I stripped my clutch slave threads in the aluminum bell housing.
What are the options to fix it:
1. Helicoil - drill, tap and insert the helicoil.
+ permanent solution
2. Loctite thread repair kit
- is it strong enough
What fastener to use:
1. New Bolts -
- still uses soft aluminum every time the clutch slave comes off.
2. Stud/nut - using red Loctite or epoxy to permanently set the stud.
+ doesn't disturb the aluminum
+ if 1 nut comes off, the clutch slave stays in place.
I'm torn between:
1. Helicoil and stud w/ red loctite,
- this requires removing the transmission, on jack stands, to drill and tap.
2. Epoxy and studs.
+ this doesn't require removing the transmission
- will it be strong enough for a track only car. (ACT HD clutch)
[amateur mechanic alert off]
The real question:
Will epoxy and stud work?
Transmission removal and re-install is a big job alone on jack stands for an old guy.